Manage Transcoding Quality

TrackZ

TrackZ

It seems that clients allow you to control some of the transcoding quality directly with a bit rate setting at least for video. When I use the Play To capability though, everything seems to default to transcoding rates of 5 mb/s for video to h.264 and 128 kb/s for audio to aac/ac3 depending on the config. The server has a transcoding config tab, but it doesn't allow fine grain control. I see those 5mb/128kb rates in my logs regardless of having the transcoding tab set to the highest quality value.

It would be nice to more globally fine grain control the transcoding settings somehow. I'd like to run that video rate up to 20 or 30 mb/s like clients allow, as well the audio (up to 320 kb/s for aac and 640 kb/s for ac3).

This would go a long way to making visual/audio quality much nicer when transcoding is required.

• Like 1

TrackZ

I think maybe that all of the settings are not rendering for me for the dlna profile popups. I can't post screenshots until later of what I'm seeing though.

I'm using the latest Desktop IE on windows 8. It's seems like on most of the profile popups I should be able to scroll down and find additional settings, but the windows won't let me.

Is that where the config options would be?

Koleckai Silvestri

In the server configuration, go to DLNA and click on the Profiles. Find your device in the list and click on its profile to edit it. On the configuration page for that profile, you can specify a bitrate under Playback Settings.

• Like 1

TrackZ

Thanks for the pic. I saw that control and misunderstood I guess. I was thinking that it would impose a maximum rate to use, and that blank meant not limit.

So if I type 20000 in that field, I should see the server go from the 5000 default rate to the specified rate?

And that's for video only? Is there anyway to bump the AAC rate to 320 and ac3 rate to 640?

TrackZ

In addition, the popups I was referring to were on the other tabs where you add entries, like the codecs tab where you specify constraints. If I go to add a codec constraint, I can enter the codec and such but I didn't see any field to actually enter a constraint value.

Are those DLNA profile tabs and possible settings documented somewhere?

Edit: Accessing all of the profile elements is summed up in this thread I found:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7198-dlna-profile-edition/?hl=%2Bdlna+%2Bprofile

Edited by TrackZ