user group and permissions

boardbum

boardbum

I've been battling with this for a while (like a year) so I can't even document what I've been though.  I don't even remember honestly.

I can no longer delete shows or episodes using my web browser (lan) or my roku app.  It did work then today it didn't.  I haven't updated my linux install (mint mate 19.3) nor Emby 4.4.3.0.

I've had issues since install and have tried changing users groups permissions so many times I lost track of what I have done.

So, before I start asking the wrong questions I'm going to ask for some information.

1) From what I've read the user.group is supposed to be emby.emby (emby emby) right?

2)a. If that's correct is the user emby going to show up in the logon or when I go to my "users settings" which is the gui where I add/delete users and groups? 

b. If yes, will it have a folder under home?

3)  If there is supposed to be a user called emby listed then which groups should be added to it?  This part confuses me because in my gui, I click on a user, then click on "manage groups" and it pulls up a window listing "groups available on the system".  In this is Emby (though I do NOT have a user Emby), and even other users (for instance the admin user I am using to make changes; so I assume that a user is a group also?)  

As you can see I'm terribly confused.  I really don't want to have to delete and reinstall emby.  I know I probably need to add more info, but I'm really just trying to go through this 1 step at a time and understand a few things.  I've tried to general searching on users and such for linux but not sure about what emby needs so have a little patience since I'm not asking for someone to fix it right now unless my mistake is obvious.

p.s. 

users and groups I have tried bob.bob emby.emby (strangely right click properties/permissions the owner shows as "emby - emby server".) bob.emby.  bob.media (emby  was one of the groups (?) in the media group).  probably more.  

p.s.s.  As I show no user "emby" if I try to create such a user I get yzLL1oU.png

I'm not sure if it's significant that it will not make a username emby but instead shortens it to emb.  If I create  this I get a home/emb folder.

Q-Droid

Installation creates OS user emby, group emby (emby:emby). Nologin shell (service account) and default home is /var/lib/emby, not the standard user location. I don't know how the user shows up in the GUI. By default all files and directories created by Emby have ownership emby:emby.

You can start here if you need to figure out permissions: 

mastrmind11

yeah, you're going to have to drop into the command line and do some typing.  The GUI isn't going to help here since emby is a service account.

what is the output of id emby?

navigate to your root episodes directory using cd /your/episodes/directory.  what is the output of ls -l?

boardbum
57 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Installation creates OS user emby, group emby (emby:emby). Nologin shell (service account) and default home is /var/lib/emby, not the standard user location. I don't know how the user shows up in the GUI. By default all files and directories created by Emby have ownership emby:emby.

You can start here if you need to figure out permissions: 

This is a big help.  Yes the service account was right where you said it was in /var/lib/emby.

Some history of my researching this is instances where Emby fails on checking for updates or can not download artwork, or even find it and a few others  I actually used timeshift to restore some emby files and all it working and I've changed all the folders/files to emby.emby.  Things seem to be working now.

boardbum
42 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

yeah, you're going to have to drop into the command line and do some typing.  The GUI isn't going to help here since emby is a service account.

what is the output of id emby?

navigate to your root episodes directory using cd /your/episodes/directory.  what is the output of ls -l?

uid=999(emby) gid=998(emby) groups=998(emby),44(video),1002(media)

drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Jan 21  2020 'ALLO ALLO'
drwxrwxr-x  3 emby  emby      4096 Mar  6 23:39 'Amazing Stories (2020)'
drwxrwxr-x  3 emby  emby      4096 May 19 22:53 'American Gods'
drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Jul 10 13:19 'American Housewife'
drwxrwxr-x  3 emby  emby      4096 Jun 12 21:35 "America's Got Talent"
drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Jan 22  2020 'Ancient Impossible'
drwxrwxr-x 12 emby  emby      4096 Jun  7 20:35 'Archer (2009)'
drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Jan 26  2020 'Are You Being Served'
drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Apr 26 21:37  Arrow

This is just a partial listing but all are now emby emby

mastrmind11
4 minutes ago, boardbum said:

uid=999(emby) gid=998(emby) groups=998(emby),44(video),1002(media)

drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Jan 21  2020 'ALLO ALLO'
drwxrwxr-x  3 emby  emby      4096 Mar  6 23:39 'Amazing Stories (2020)'
drwxrwxr-x  3 emby  emby      4096 May 19 22:53 'American Gods'
drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Jul 10 13:19 'American Housewife'
drwxrwxr-x  3 emby  emby      4096 Jun 12 21:35 "America's Got Talent"
drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Jan 22  2020 'Ancient Impossible'
drwxrwxr-x 12 emby  emby      4096 Jun  7 20:35 'Archer (2009)'
drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Jan 26  2020 'Are You Being Served'
drwxrwxr-x  2 emby  emby      4096 Apr 26 21:37  Arrow

This is just a partial listing but all are now emby emby

ok now ls -l from inside a season folder you are unable to delete from

boardbum

ok now ls -l from inside a season folder you are unable to delete from

oh, sorry.  They are all emby emby now since the restore.  I changed them after I did that.  Now things delete properly. like I said it's a whole history with the user.group thing.  I think I found part of it.  I use Sonarr and though I have it set it's not changing the group user to emby.emby for some reason.

Ok, now I found out why I had issues with changing ownership.  I can't move files into the emby emby permissioned folders because I don't have permission.  Should the folders for each series be emby emby?

Permissons worked out.  Not I remember why I was having issues with permissions.  Partly because I use Sonarr and it was not chaning permissions on downloaded files like I had it set up to do.  Still doesn't.

Edited by boardbum