4K Media is transcoding for NVIDIA Shield over local LAN

ziebarthj
Go to solution Solved by ziebarthj,

ziebarthj

Hello.  I am trying to play Captain Marvel back on my new NVIDIA Shield TV Pro.  Emby Server is on a Ryzen 3950X with 32GB of RAM with a 2TB SSD boot volume and the media library on six 7200 RPM hdds running in RAID5 with SSD caching.  The NVIDIA Shield Pro is plugged into the same Juniper EX4200 gigabit switch as the server.  The settings for bitrate limits in both the server and the Shield are set to Auto.  I had trouble trying to get my Roku to play back 4K media in 4K, and a little research told me that the Shield TVs have the best luck with this, so I just got the Shield.

So, with the Shield online, I tried playing this movie and still cannot get it to send 4K video to me.  It seems to always want to transcode instead of streaming the output directly to the Shield.  No matter what configuration I try (Auto bitrate limit, maximum limit of 100 Mbps, something lower, etc.), it always says "Video bitrate over limit" even though I can't see any way that it can be.

I tried playing back the movie at 16:39 MDT (18:39 EDT) on 07/27/2020 as server user "emby" using the Emby for Android app.

2020-07-27 16.39.16.jpg

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2a6b78ef-9f8f-434f-9abd-3786ed294f7e_1.txt

Happy2Play

Sorry but this playback session is not being done via your LAN, and it would appear you have a 12Mb limit set on remote.

2020-07-27 16:37:58.996 Info MediaInfoService: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 12000000, RemoteIp: 162.212.xxx.xxx, IsInLocalNetwork: False

It clearly says right on screen "Video Bitrate over limit"

2020-07-27 16:37:47.953 Info MediaInfoService: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 12000000, RemoteIp: 162.212.xxx.xxx, IsInLocalNetwork: False
2020-07-27 16:37:47.953 Info MediaInfoService: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 61522507, max bitrate: 12000000
2020-07-27 16:37:47.953 Info MediaInfoService: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 61522507, max bitrate: 12000000
2020-07-27 16:37:47.957 Info MediaInfoService: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 12000000, RemoteIp: 162.212.xxx.xxx, IsInLocalNetwork: False

The address of that IP on on viaerowireless.com if that makes any sense to you.

Do you have wireless setup in your router to use as fallback if your internet goes down?

Is your server setup on the 162.212.xxx.xxx ip space? If so you need to adjust you local network setting in Emby config under network settings.

• Solution
ziebarthj

So, after some more research, I found two issues contributing to this.  First, both the server and the Shield are on internal 192.168.1.x addresses and are, as I stated in the original post, on the same switch and network.  However, I needed to open up the emby-server ports on an additional zone in the firewall settings in Fedora.  This made the internal server page accessible locally (I hadn't realized that it was inaccessible previously).  Apparently, I only had them open for traffic coming in from outside.  The other thing I found is that, when logging in through Emby Connect, it routes my traffic out to Emby's server and then back in to my server.  So, even though both devices are on the same internal network, having Emby Connect in between as a convenient sign-on was making all of the traffic come back in from outside, so I was subject to my outside video bitrate cap.  Manually typing in the server's local IP address on my Shield suddenly made both devices understand that the Shield is, in fact, on the local network.  All is well, now.

• Like 1

That's a routing issue making it appear to come in from the outside.  Either don't worry about and use the internal address or change your router "loop back" settings to not route inside traffic on the outside network interface.

BTW, now that you got the networking issue fixed and have the Shield TV playing this media back in direct play you should retest the Roku as well when you get a chance.  I'm sure you'll like the Shield TV more but it would be nice to know how the Roku performs using local logins.

• 2 years later...