Can't play video file, .ass subtitle

TheDrifter363

TheDrifter363

Hi,

I have this hevc anime video file that I'm having trouble playing. It uses .ass subtitles, most anime does, and I'm having trouble playing them on my Chromecast. Subtitles are burned in, I unchecked "allow subtitle extraction on the fly". The subtitles would be delayed on the chromecast if I had that enabled.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

(I've actually had this happen with a lot of anime with ASS subtitles. Don't know if it's a common problem that hasn't been fixed yet. I'm curious if it is, and if I can do anything to fix it.)

Running emby in a freenas 11.3 jail, using the 4.5.0.15 beta. Had this happen with older versions too.

ffmpeg-transcode-213f81f4-492b-4203-a649-0b806a4ba0f8_1.txt embyserver.txt Yona of the Dawn - S00E02 - The Yellow Dragon's (Zeno's) Past, Part 1- The Starting Dragon WEBDL-480p.ass

TheDrifter363
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what exactly is happening?

Hi! Well the video doesn't play on my Chromecast. It just doesn't load. Those log files explain why. Something about can't find filter when it comes to the .ass subtitles. I've uploaded the specific subtitle and the log files. Please take a look.

I unchecked "allow subtitle extraction on the fly". The subtitles would be delayed on the chromecast if I had that enabled.

Curious, what model Chromecast?

TheDrifter363
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Curious, what model Chromecast?

Chromecast 2nd generation. NC2-6A5.

19 minutes ago, Luke said:

@TheDrifter363 we are looking into this, thanks for reporting.

Thanks! I'll make sure to keep a lookout when this gets fixed.

TheDrifter363
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

When did you last try it and see that the subtitles were delayed?

I want to say a few days ago. A lot of anime I watch has .ass subtitles and is in Japanese so it's something I notice.

TheDrifter363
On 7/29/2020 at 3:39 PM, Luke said:

Can you try it again?

Ok so just recently tried it with Interspecies Reviewers and Yona of the Dawn. Enabling allow subtitle extraction on the fly, there's a delay when subtitles start. So for like 30 seconds there's no subtitles. Then subtitles play normally. However, every now and then, subtitles will stop playing and resume again. Also the video will crash, after a while, and the Chromecast will either reset or disconnect emby. It's like .ass subtitles can't play properly on the Chromecast.

Well what's happening is we're really pushing the Chromecast receiver to the limit by trying to render the subtitles directly in order to avoid the server transcoding. Thanks for testing.

TheDrifter363
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Well what's happening is we're really pushing the Chromecast receiver to the limit by trying to render the subtitles directly in order to avoid the server transcoding. Thanks for testing.

Oooh, cool. Thanks for letting me know. Well I'll keep an eye out whenever that transcoding issue with subtitles get fixed.