VPNs and Bandwidth Limits

Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

I have multiple Site-to-Site VPNs setup with two of my relatives. They are able to connect to my emby server through their vpn tunnels and watch just fine. I would like to turn off remote access though just as a precaution(doesn't make sense to enable it since it isn't being used at all) and add their local networks as local networks for emby. The problem is, emby will handle the traffic as local traffic just fine, but I cannot limit their bandwidth since they will now be considered local. 

So my question is, are there any ways to limit users bandwidth for local traffic, while maintaining the unlimited bandwidth for users in my household?

i.e.

My Home (Site A) - All users considered local having unlimited bandwidth usage.

Relative 1 (Site B) - All users considered local but with a maximum of 8 mbps bandwidth.

Relative 2 (Site C) - Same rules as site B.

Alternatively, am I just being overly cautious in turning off remote access and treating them as remote?

Any help, or comments on my sanity will be greatly appreciated! 

• Solution

Have you considered keeping remote turned on but then using WHITELIST in the network settings of Emby Server?

Network menu option.

whitelist.png.128a53227378932000ec60abf49bb797.png

The above picture is using BLACKLIST mode vs WHITELIST but those are the options I'm referring to.

I'd explore that option as it sounds perfect for your needs!

Carlo

@cayars It seems like this will do what I am wanting. It's still bothersome to me that it says my server is accessible from my remote ip, but as long as it really isn't that should be fine.

@lukeoslavia Give this a shot and test from remote (not VPN) as well as through your VPN tunnels to make sure you get the results you want.

If it's not working correctly for you let us know. We can do a quick remote support session via TeamViewer and get you squared away pretty quickly with the results you're looking for.

Carlo

PrincessClevage

My understanding is that remote access is not accessible until you port forward or dlna has allowed emby ports through. I think you can also specify networks that should only be considered local manually and to remote site 2 and 3 is usually place on a different natted subnet this bandwidth rate limits will apply

• Like 1

Yes, that's the easy way.  Just don't allow any ports to be open inbound on the firewall.  Only way to use the system from remote is via VPN which is admin controlled.

So Emby will still be setup for External/Remote access and will play by the bandwidth rules for in LAN vs VPN (remote) rules.

@cayars Just to let you know this is working as intended. I have setup their subnets to be the only allowed remote connections, but im also not forwarding the emby ports for remote access, so any attempts from outside our VPN tunnels are dropped anyway.