Collect display suggestion

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Right now there are two ways collections are displayed:

1. they are not displayed and the contents are displayed just as if the collection did not exist.

2. the collections are displayed and  the contents are hidden unless you enter the collection.

I suggest there should be two other display options.

1. The collection is displayed inline with the movies and the contents are also displayed in line.

2. both the collection and its contents are hidden unless it is navigated to in the collection menu.

Also these options should be selectable by collection and there should be a library default. The default for the library default should be exactly as it currently is.

This would give greater flexibility and it would be possible to have some large collections that are displayed inline without the hassle of having to use search. As an example we could have a "John Wayne" collection that would display inline with movies and it would contain all John Wayne movies. When you are browsing for a movie to watch it would show up just like collections do now but it would not hide the contents from regular browsing.

This would give greater flexibility to how libraries get displayed and make browsing more fun and easier for those of us that often enter a library with no idea of what we really want to watch.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

. The collection is displayed inline with the movies and the contents are also displayed in line.

That seems like overload to me but to each their own I suppose.

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, Luke said:

That seems like overload to me but to each their own I suppose.

The purpose would be to be able to have a large collection without hiding the contents. Let say I am browsing looking for something to watch and I browse and see a John Wayne collection I can the browse into that collection and choose a movie with John Wayne to watch. On the other hand I might see that collection but not be sure I want to watch  a John Wayne movie so I continue browsing and I come to "The Quiet Man" and decide to watch it. If collections we set to always display and hide the contents I would never see the movie I ended up watching. On the other hand if the "John Wayne" collection did not display and I wanted to watch a "John Wayne" It might never occur to me to search. A visual cue like seeing the collection can trigger me to browse just "John Wayne" movies. That is for a large collection you can see the entire collection two ways. By browsing into it and by simply browsing all movies and seeing the movies inline. Smaller collections like "Harry Potter" do not hide enough to matter so they can always just display the collection and hide the contents.

Also, sometimes, a logical collection name does not really show what it contains to everyone and collections like that would also be candidates for showing the collection and its contents.

There are numerous other examples but the big thing is that not all collections should hide their contents but many, maybe most, should. The display options for collections should be at the collection level and there should be a library default that can be overridden for each collection.

It seems like an overload to me as well.  Likely different style of usage.

I don't show collections in my movie library but only movies (that's what the library is).  However I have a collection tab up top in my client to access just collection or have the Collections Library right on the home screen.

So now if I happen to drill down into "Cahill U.S. Marshal" I'll see it has "Included in" with John Wayne Collection listed and it's 43 movies.

I personally don't normally create collections for people (did that one as a test) as you can just search for them or drill down on the actor and see all movies, shows & episodes they are in.

When I first started using collections I did the opposite and showed only the collections and not the movies to make browsing faster (less total movies shown), but got complaints from family so I stopped doing that.  Using the example my dad could click on letter C and scroll down trying to find "Cahill" and it wouldn't be there and he wouldn't realize he should look for "John Wayne" instead so it was confusing.

So what I learned was to use Collections for Box Set type things so you can binge watch "The Matrix" or "James Bond Collection" and keep them separate vs the movies.  Just a personal choice I guess.

Gilgamesh_48
14 minutes ago, cayars said:

So what I learned was to use Collections for Box Set type things so you can binge watch "The Matrix" or "James Bond Collection" and keep them separate vs the movies.  Just a personal choice I guess.

That is exactly why I suggest that there be the choices I listed. There are many different ways people want to see their movies. I do not really use search because I use my Roku for watching and I usually do not know at all what I want to watch before I start browsing.

• 3 years later...
User2808

I agree:

„The collection is displayed inline with the movies and the contents are also displayed in line.“

sounds perfect (like actually in Plex)!

Hi, yes this question has come up before and is possible for future updates. Thanks.