Android TV home channels

caalin

caalin

Some bugs and issues:

1) The season & episode number is missing from every section of the home screen: Play Next, Next Up, Suggested. I went back to check and the last version in which they were showing up was 1.7.54. It looked a little too close to the show title, maybe the space between them should be increased if possible

2) When an episodes becomes "played," the show gets updated correctly in the Next Up section of the app, but it disappears from the Next Up section of the home screen. If the episode becomes "in progress," then it doesn't disappear from the home screen Next Up, but its status doesn't get updated, it sill looks like it is unplayed. In both cases you have to open the app again in order to update the home screen channel correctly. Sometimes (I think when the Next Up in the app gets updated multiple times, but I'm not sure), the show doesn't disappear from the home screen, but gets updated with the last "played" episode

3) The channels don't update unless you open the app. It's not an issue if you use only one device and if the above bug didn't exist, but if you watch on multiple devices, the channels become useless because you have to launch the app directly

4) This one is very random, I have no idea how to reproduce it: sometimes an episode may appear twice or even thrice in the Next Up channel. Sometimes every episode from the channel is doubled down. Like this:

emby channel.png

P.S.

5) This is more of a request: can we please stay in the app after we're done with the episode/movie that we have selected from the home screen? Pressing back takes me to the home screen and then I have to launch the app again

Edited by caalin

You didn't mention what version of Client and Server you are using.  Can you edit you message or post that info?

caalin
49 minutes ago, cayars said:

You didn't mention what version of Client and Server you are using.  Can you edit you message or post that info?

The server is 4.4.3 for Shield and the client is 1.8.20, but I've tried other versions of the client and it's the same thing

seanbuff

I can confirm I have also, on occasion, seen 4) duplicate tiles on the ATV homescreen -- have not been able to pinpoint exactly how to reproduce.

seanbuff

As this appears to be a generic Android TV home channels thread, I'd also like to point out the following

image.png.0cd49ba94240d42b279363ee67e44879.png

^ that second tile is a backdrop image cropped into a poster size tile

image.png.c96f134d0210d8e60ae899e83fb99272.png

and yes, there is a poster image for this item - not sure why it isn't being used.

image.png.fe4fce9b40f37a0d8397b1ecb5c91250.png

EDIT: AndroidTV ver 1.8.17g

Edited by seanbuff

3 hours ago, caalin said:

emby channel.png

If you look at the two pics of Chuck for example and go into them are they different channels?

IE is one an SD channel  and on a HD channel?  How about different channels?

seanbuff
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

If you look at the two pics of Chuck for example and go into them are they different channels?

In my instance 'Next Up TV' is local (i don't use Live TV) so the duplicate tiles point to the exact same episode.

It's not somehow part of two libraries or two different files of the same episode?

seanbuff
14 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's not somehow part of two libraries or two different files of the same episode?

Definitely not, and if that were the case I would expect it to be present 100% of the time -- but as @caalin said, it's very random. Usually goes away just as quickly as it appeared.

caalin
30 minutes ago, cayars said:

IE is one an SD channel  and on a HD channel?  How about different channels?

No, it's not live TV, those are just episodes from the library and no, there's only one library and only one file

And I don't know how to reproduce it, it's random. My guess is that for some reason the app keeps sending the Next Up section to the Android channel, but it gets added to what is already there

It could certainly be a glitch or bug.  I just wanted to rule out things that could possibly give the same symptoms.

12 hours ago, seanbuff said:

that second tile is a backdrop image cropped into a poster size tile

Does that item have a thumb image?

caalin

Okay, I can reproduce bug number 4, the one with the duplicate episodes. All you have to is go to settings --> home screen layout, back out and then exit the app and voila. It doesn't matter if you change or not anything there, it happens either way.

I think it's because when you back out to the Emby home page it automatically refreshes itself and that's probably when it sends info to the Android channel, but it doesn't delete the old info.

Also, if you start playing an episode, that one won't be duplicated upon exit. I think that's because it gets deleted by bug number 2

Edited by caalin

seanbuff
15 hours ago, ebr said:

Does that item have a thumb image?

Ah yes, this one in particular is missing a thumb image.

In saying that, the last one on that row does not have any other images other than the poster, and the poster is being used which is expected.
image.png.2db1e5835ff656b09ffc25efe7d7aa02.png

So in the absence of a thumb image, should the poster image be used by default?

seanbuff
5 hours ago, caalin said:

Okay, I can reproduce bug number 4, the one with the duplicate episodes. All you have to is go to settings --> home screen layout, back out and then exit the app and voila. It doesn't matter if you change or not anything there, it happens either way.

Yup, reproduced exactly with those steps.

image.png.d143ccd00f2f4d57e2650ffb5370c53d.png

7 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Ah yes, this one in particular is missing a thumb image.

In saying that, the last one on that row does not have any other images other than the poster, and the poster is being used which is expected.
image.png.2db1e5835ff656b09ffc25efe7d7aa02.png

So in the absence of a thumb image, should the poster image be used by default?

The poster would be the last resort image there.  We want all the content to be thumbs (or thumb sized) if possible to match up with everything else on the device.  However, we need to look into why the backdrop showed at the wrong size.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, caalin said:

All you have to is go to settings --> home screen layout, back out and then exit the app

Thanks for that diagnosis.  I think what may be actually happening is two refreshes are getting fired off concurrently and that's why things are doubled.