Playback continues when TV turned off

Whiskeyjack
Go to solution Solved by vdatanet,

Whiskeyjack

Hey guys.  Not sure if there's a way to address this but I thought I'd ask.

I have a user that tends to just turn off their TV when they're done using Emby, rather than stop playback then turn off the TV.  This results in playback continuing indefinitely.  Typically I'll stop playback when I know they're not watching, but lately I can't seem to do so.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way, from my end, to stop this from happening?  I've tried educating the user, but some people just have old habits.

Edited by Whiskeyjack

Edit the user and uncheck this option: "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server"

That will stop them from using your system remotely.  When the contact you inform them of what they're doing and how to remedy it then give them access back.

Sometimes you have to throw a bit of muscle around to "curb" user activity.

• Solution
vdatanet

What device does he have? If his TV is CEC compliant he can enable "Sleep Device" by turning off the TV. It works for me. In my bedroom I set the sleep timer on my TV and when the TV turns off the Shield goes to sleep mode.

• Like 2

I suggest checking into what vdata suggested to force the Shield to sleep when he turns off the TV.  Also, make sure they did not disable the "Are you still watching" prompt setting in the app as that will shut it down automatically eventually.

• Like 3

rbjtech

Out of curiosity, if access via parental controls was restricted for that user excluding say 2am-3am - would this 'stop' whatever is being played, or does this only work for new playback requests ?  This might be another way should the above methods fail ?

Whiskeyjack
On 7/23/2020 at 5:09 AM, vdatanet said:

What device does he have? If his TV is CEC compliant he can enable "Sleep Device" by turning off the TV. It works for me. In my bedroom I set the sleep timer on my TV and when the TV turns off the Shield goes to sleep mode.

On 7/23/2020 at 7:41 AM, ebr said:

I suggest checking into what vdata suggested to force the Shield to sleep when he turns off the TV.  Also, make sure they did not disable the "Are you still watching" prompt setting in the app as that will shut it down automatically eventually.

I'll try this out because it's getting kind of insane now.  Seems to happen nearly every night!

Thanks!