Horizontal Theme

Mortaelis

Mortaelis

I am interested in how to enable the horizontal theme for the enby app for Shield TV. This is the setting if you enable Display Mode: TV in the web app and then pick TV mode home screen: Horizontal

I have tried signing in using TV.emby.media and changing it for the user account used for the Shield and then signing out and back in, but to no avail. Any help with how to achieve this would be wonderful.

Hi.  We do not have this view in this app.  It is actually a very old legacy view in the other apps as it is modeled after the Xbox interface from about 10 years ago.

Mortaelis
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We do not have this view in this app.  It is actually a very old legacy view in the other apps as it is modeled after the Xbox interface from about 10 years ago.

aww that is really a shame. The horizontal view looks so much better than the newer vertical view, at least in my opinion.

thanks though for the reply.

• Like 3

arrbee99

Android used to have a horizontal view (almost) everywhere, and it was terrific, so obviously it was got rid of.

Problem is it's not natural to use by most people, and takes longer to use with more clicks.  You grow up learning to read alpha-numeric from top left to bottom right.  It's ingrained in your brain to read things that way. We're used to reading a full page of info then getting a new page of info. You instinctively know how to scan a full page of information left to right, down a line and repeat.

Imagine trying to read a book where you only get 2 or three lines of content, have to read all the content of those 2 or 3 lines then had to constantly unfold the page to make it wider and wider  only getting to consume a small amount of content at a time.  You can't "scan" the info easily because there isn't much shown at a time.  Besides that sorting is weird as it's up/down vs across.

Of course there are people who do prefer horizontal, but you guys are vastly in the minority and hence why it's not horizontal anymore. LOL

arrbee99

Yes I know, though I guess a lot of that applies only to those cultures that do read left to right top to bottom.

As you might remember, horizontal fans were perfectly happy to have vertical scrolling as well, and vertical fans were perfectly happy to have horizontal scrolling as well. But that didn't last long. I suppose the new Theater is going to be ruined by getting its horizontal home screen removed as well.

I guess that was more of a transition time frame to test and get things working correctly using vertical scrolling.  But long term it would be hard to continue to develop and test everything two different ways all the time and it would limit the possibilities of doing certain things as it would be impractical on one of the two.

Then if you combine that with trying to have a unified way of doing things on the different platforms having both H & V would likely be a liability to dev.

Regardless of what I or others think, you're a customer as much as anyone and can make your voice heard.  Try searching to see if there is a feature request for a switch to choose H or V and if there isn't a request already, create one. 

arrbee99

Yes, that all makes perfect sense, but it doesn't stop me sulking about something being removed that worked great (to me).

I'll have a look in feature requests, but there's probably something there already, and I can't see anything new getting very far...

• Like 1

Honestly, I doubt it would get much traction based on the fact we switched from H to V based on user requests, but it's still a bit of "protest" and making your preference heard in some way.

If nothing else you'll get a feel for how many other users feel the same way about the request by looking at vote counts and you can see who voted for it and who the users are that agree with you.

If you make the choice of H vs V, not just for libraries but for use everywhere in the client, you'll get a vote from me as I'd set it to V and get rid of the horizontal stuff still being used in places. 

So you'd could get two extreme different types of people both liking the same feature request!  LOL

arrbee99

Yeah well, I think the ship on this has sailed away, been attacked by pirates, burned to the waterline, blown in half by a passing u-boat and then vapourized by nuclear bomb tests at Bikini Atoll.

• Like 2

But you survived, still around to give history and change the shape of the future based on your accounts!

• Like 1

arrbee99

I like to think I do my bit to annoy people with daft suggestions to fix problems that don't exist while breaking stuff that works just fine...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Android used to have a horizontal view (almost) everywhere, and it was terrific, so obviously it was got rid of.

That is not the view he is asking about.  He is asking about the "Xbox" style home screen which this app has never had.

• 1 year later...
unisoft
On 24/07/2020 at 16:41, ebr said:

That is not the view he is asking about.  He is asking about the "Xbox" style home screen which this app has never had.

Im confused now. I was looking to ditch LG TV (as no updates for nearly 2 years) and get a SONY Google TV. Also a shield for an older Samsung TV.

Can I not have the layout horizontal theme like in the LG app then like the link below for Android TV (Sony)?

https://emby.tv/emby-for-lg-smart-tv.html

I like vertical theme on the Apple TV (iOS and Android Mobile is also OK) - I don't like the implementation at all on the ROKU with its squared frames an no movement of the library tiles.

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, unisoft said:

Can I not have the layout horizontal theme like in the LG app then like the link below for Android TV (Sony)?

Don't know whether it would be available if you sideload standard Android app; AndroidTV app does not provide support for such view currently. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

rodainas
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Don't know whether it would be available if you sideload standard Android app; AndroidTV app does not provide support for such view currently. 

It should work, I sideloaded the standard android app using tv mode and horizontal layout on the fire stick 4k it worked normally.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, unisoft said:

I don't like the implementation at all on the ROKU with its squared frames an no movement of the library tiles.

This app doesn't behave like that and the Roku won't fairly soon as well.

unisoft
On 26/11/2021 at 14:56, ebr said:

This app doesn't behave like that and the Roku won't fairly soon as well.

So is the Android TV app ever going to get to the horizontal view (TV) like the other apps? I though Luke made a declaration a few times before that you were trying to make the apps all look the same? I thought this was the "cream" of the client apps but can't be if its missing functionality?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, unisoft said:

So is the Android TV app ever going to get to the horizontal view (TV) like the other apps? I though Luke made a declaration a few times before that you were trying to make the apps all look the same? I thought this was the "cream" of the client apps but can't be if its missing functionality?

Thanks.

Hi.  That particular view is a legacy view that is no longer a default.  It was designed to look like the Xbox interface which is unique to that platform at this point.  All other platforms have interfaces more like our default vertical presentation now.

Having said that, you can use the standard Android app on your TV device.

kanipek
On 7/23/2020 at 6:11 PM, arrbee99 said:

I agree with you. To my mind it was a better UI, but I will say they vertical has come a long way since it was first instituted. 

• Like 1