emdubya77

Advice please for dealing with NextPVR filenames

emdubya77

I've recently borrowed a HDHomerun, with a view to buying one for myself in the near future. After a lot of playing about, and going round in several circles (mostly my own fault), it's working great now, and I'm definitely going to go for it, but there's one small issue I'm looking for help with please.

The short version is: What's the best way to automatically process NextPVR filenames into something more friendly to Emby?

The long version (in case I've slipped up somewhere and there's another way...):

I managed to get everything set up in Emby's own DVR function. Brilliant - love it - especially the way it automatically adds metadata and images. Does everything I need it to..... except it doesn't appear to be able to cope with recording more than one channel from the same mux on the same tuner at the same time. That's quite important for me, so I tried NextPVR - again working fine, but the recorded files are named in the format    <title>_YYYYMMDD_TTTTtttt    - which isn't supported by Emby unless I add dashes or dots. I'm not too bothered about series/episode numbers, but for daily/weekly shows such as the news it's a bit of a pain to keep doing manually.

So I was just wondering if any NextPVR users had any tips please? I found a few filename settings, but none of them seem to make any difference. Is my only option to include yet another (*comical sigh*) software in the chain to somehow automate renaming files, and if so, can anyone recommend something easy to use?

Many thanks for your help

cayars

Are you using the NextPVR plugin?

emdubya77

Yes, but although it allows me to view the recordings it still doesn't seem to scrape them properly. What I'm trying to achieve is for Emby to pick up the recording date so I can list all my recordings in broadcast order (if the file is named <title>_YYYY-MM-DD it will transfer this to the "release date" metadata field, even if the programme does not appear on TVDB)

cayars

I haven't used NextPVR in quite a while but wanted to ask the question about the plugin so your issue/setup was more clear.

Hopefully one of the people that use NextPVR with Emby will be able to assist you as they can tell you how they handle this.

• Thanks 1

emveepee

Scraping into Emby's libraries outside of NextPVR is not a NexPVR issue.  If you view the recording via the TV functions I am pretty sure the plugin sets the creation date to the recording date.   Perhaps the issue is you want the original air data order?

For scraping the NextPVR naming is based on the EPG source.  If you use Schedules Direct in NextPVR the metadata will be better for scraping with season/episode information, and movie years etc.  You will also get better images and it will all match the TMS data in Emby.

Martin

emdubya77
1 hour ago, emveepee said:

Scraping into Emby's libraries outside of NextPVR is not a NexPVR issue.

Never said it was. In fact it's not really an Emby issue either. It's just two independent media softwares who use different formatting for an 8 digit datestamp - that's ok, it's nobody's fault.

I figure there are three ways to deal with that:

a) Somehow get Next PVR to output dates as YYYY-MM-DD instead of YYYYMMDD - I think you're saying that the latter format is down to me using the OTA EPG, so it seems NextPVR can only add it to the filename as-is, and can't manipulate it.

b) Request the Emby devs to add anything_19961114.ext to their acceptable file names - I'm sure I've seen a thread explaining why this can't be done, but I can't find it right now

or c) (in my view the easiest option by far, and perfectly acceptable to me) find a way to automate the process I currently do manually, which is simply to add two dashes and let Emby do the rest. Heck, it sounds like the sort of thing that could be done by a couple of lines in a batch file - I just need someone with the right knowledge to write it for me? Please?

emveepee
Posted (edited)

I agree the regex scraping in Emby should be able to handle this which I why I said you should be posting in an Emby related section.  That being said Plex has this issue too so if you go to the Settings->General page there is an option that should do what you want.

Use file names with Plex date format

Again that will only work if you record on the original air date.  SD would still be recommended.

Martin
Edited by emveepee

emdubya77

Use file names with Plex date format

Ok I don't have that - presumably it's v5 onwards only. Which doesn't support OTA from HDHomerun.

No need to let that run into the usual debate about OTA vs SD. Thanks for responding.

emveepee
Posted (edited)

Are you sure NextPVR v5 doesn't support UK DVB OTA from the HDHR?

I am not debating OTA and SD I am pointing out that just adding the dashes won't necessarily improve scraping.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

emdubya77
Posted (edited)

According to https://github.com/sub3/NextPVR/wiki/Setup-EPG it doesn't. I did try v5 first and got a similar message during setup. I also tried XML but the source I used was incomplete. Ultimately I just wanted to get it working quickly so installed v4 instead - if I ended up buying a HDHR I would investigate further by asking in the forums, checking out the different guide sources properly etc.

All I'm doing for now is getting a feel for what my options are in a short space of time - it's great that are so many choices for hardware, backend, frontend, media server, clients etc, but for a noob like me that can also be a bit overwhelming deciding where to start. I might end up deciding to spend the extra on a quattro, which could mean I could just use EmbyDVR and be less likely to get clashes, or a different tuner which v5 can pull OTA from, or pay for SD, or....or.... (you get my point). Really I'm just testing out everything because when we do buy our own tuner, my technophobe housemates, who are making a financial contribution towards it, will no doubt expect the whole thing to be working flawlessly from day 1, with minimal disruption to the firestick/kodi/emby interface its already taken them 6 months to get used to! 🥴🤯😵

Anyway, as a solution for my original question, cayars has recommended "Filebot" to me, so for a quick fix that might be just what I'm looking for. It's not so much getting the files fully scraped as just getting them to appear in the right place in a certain library which also includes media from other sources (it's complicated - c.f. Housemate Acceptance Factor, as above) - they just get watched and deleted within a few days anyway so not worth going to too much trouble.

Fingers crossed. It's all good fun really..... 🤪

Edited by emdubya77

emveepee

Sub updated the v5 wiki to correct that outdated information on DVB EPG on the HDHR

Martin

• Like 1

Luke

Are the files organized into series folders?

Heuer
Posted (edited)

They are shown in folders on the 'Recordings' tab (I have setup a library folder for them) but if I go into 'Live TV' >- 'Recordings' they are shown as individual files.

Edited by Heuer

cayars

How are they stored on disc?

Can you upload a picture showing the layout on disc?

emdubya77
Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, emveepee said:

Sub updated the v5 wiki to correct that outdated information on DVB EPG on the HDHR

Thanks for the update - I've now installed v5, have a working EPG and the Plex-friendly filename option is working with Emby too, so all is good regarding my original question. More playing now.....😊

On 7/27/2020 at 4:42 PM, Luke said:

Are the files organized into series folders?

Yes, they were.

Edited by emdubya77

Heuer
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, cayars said:

How are they stored on disc?

Can you upload a picture showing the layout on disc?

Image 3.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Image 5.jpg

The Live TV > Recordings display is almost impossible to use and I am not sure why it does not reflect the Library view, unless I have missed a setting somewhere!

It seems some programs are broadcast with season and episode names whilst others (e.g. BBC Gardeners World) only have the broadcast date and time.

Edited by Heuer

cayars

What does it look like when sorted by Title?

Heuer

481690025_Image6.thumb.jpg.7dac74d77fbe853275986a22e523756d.jpg

cayars

What specifically is wrong in that view?

Heuer

Well for a start there are 69 items on the screen so it looks and feels a complete mess. Maybe you should add a folder view for some consistency in the product? I should have captured more of the screen - here you go:

1032640484_Image2.thumb.jpg.1cbdfde2319933f9f0d3763f629258c8.jpg

Not easy to view episodes within a season which is why I have set up a library folder which works very well. 

cayars

We''ll that view is supposed to show you individual episodes so it's working as designed.  I think what you want is the view you get in the RECORDING LIBRARY which will work more like a TV Show library.  Have you looked/used that before?

Heuer

That is what I use almost all of the time. Just wondered why the Live TV > Recordings tab does not follow suit.

cayars
10 minutes ago, Heuer said:

That is what I use almost all of the time. Just wondered why the Live TV > Recordings tab does not follow suit.

Different views of data.  Recording Library acts like TV Shows library or Movies Library depending on the selection you make while recordings just shows you everything regardless of any type.

Luke

Request the Emby devs to add anything_19961114.ext

We can look at supporting this.