4K Transcoding

horhaeuser

• 9 months later...
Guest phoenixexcinere

Irgendwie verstehe ich das mit dem Transcoding noch nicht so ganz.

Ich musste wegen iene Hardwaredefekts jetzt umsteigen und habe einen Ryzen3200g in meinem Server laufen. Meist schaue ich Filme im Wohnzimmer über den Browser, der ja mit 4K und so seine Probleme hat, daher hatte ich mich gefreut, endlich Transcoding nutzen zu können.

Bei manchen Filmen klappt es mehr oder weniger, andere ruckeln ohne Ende.

Der Film läßt sich transcodieren, ohne ruckeln:

Spoiler

Titel4K HEVC HDR
CodecHEVC
ProfilMain 10
Level153
Auflösung3840x1608
Seitenverhältnis2.40:1
InterlacedNein
Bildrate23,976
Bitrate7.563 kbps
VideobereichHDR
Primärfarbenbt2020
Farbraumbt2020nc
Farbtransfersmpte2084
Pixelformatyuv420p10le
Referenz-Frames1

der hier ruckelt ohne Ende:

Spoiler

Titel4K HEVC HDR
CodecHEVC
ProfilMain 10
Level153
Auflösung3840x2160
Seitenverhältnis16:9
InterlacedNein
Bildrate23,976
Bitrate51.993 kbps
VideobereichHDR
Primärfarbenbt2020
Farbraumbt2020nc
Farbtransfersmpte2084
Pixelformatyuv420p10le
Referenz-Frames1

Liegt es rein an der Dateigröße? Der erste ruckelfreie ist nur 7GB groß, der andere 50gb. Und mit dem neuen Update kam ja die HDR-Dynamikkompression, sollte ja eigentlich auch funktionieren, aber die Videos sind immer noch farblos, grau.
Ich muss vielleicht dazu sagen, dass Emby unter Docker läuft und ich für die Grafik das Radeon Plugin unter Unraid installiert habe

Hi, Did you setup Tone Mapping yet at the bottom of Transcoding menu?

Edited by cayars

Guest phoenixexcinere
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Did you setup Tone Mapping yet at the bottom of Transcoding menu?

yes i did.

And regarding the 4K transcoding, i think the ryzen 3200g has enough performance for transcoding. With plex it works fine, at least I have read it

There is a huge difference in bitrate between the two files.

Can you play the trouble (bigger) file back again through the web browser?
Can you also bring up Stats for Nerds (cog menu) while it's trying to play and grab a screen shot of this?
I'd like to see what resolution it's playing back as.

My hunch is that it might be doing 4K to 4K vs 4K to 1080 which is more CPU intensive.

Also can you tell us if this is being played back on a different machine than what's running the server?

Also please upload the ffmpeg log file that is generated for this specific playback.

Thanks

Guest phoenixexcinere
58 minutes ago, cayars said:

My hunch is that it might be doing 4K to 4K vs 4K to 1080 which is more CPU intensive.

hmmm thats it. the Output Quality was 4K. If i change it manually to 1080p and 30Mbps the playback was without lags.

So the last question is about HDR transcoding. As you can see at the screenshot, the colors are pale

emby.JPG

ffmpeg-transcode-cc1e3dbd-7d54-4ec5-8720-703614d72292_1.txt

It didn't tone map is why the colors are flat.  The ffmpeg log shows "Info    Tone Mapping would be desired, but VAAPI tone mappoin mapping method is set to 'none'"

Can we see how you have the transcoding page configured?

Guest phoenixexcinere
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Can we see how you have the transcoding page configured?

Yes of course :)

screenshot.jpg

No chance I can read that. :)

Can you make it bigger or just do 100% screen captures with the PrtSc key above the backspace?

Guest phoenixexcinere
6 hours ago, cayars said:

Can you make it bigger or just do 100% screen captures with the PrtSc key above the backspace?

🙂

Screenshot_2021-05-25 Emby(2).png

Screenshot_2021-05-25 Emby(1).png

Screenshot_2021-05-25 Emby.png

Thank you.  Much easier to read!

I'm going to suggest you install the Diagnostic Plugin from the plugin catelog
image.png.2b71bc1beec57eab6bf4daeff2967634.png

After Emby server restart you will have a couple more menu options on the left menu.
Go into ADVANCED TRANSCODING
Select TONE MAPPING tab up top.

Set the top options to match these:
image.png.d332cfe4dd49000aa0fc18b8c5f207ce.png

That will make sure software tone mapping is available as well as limit it to 1080p so you won't be sending 4K streams when using software tone mapping.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Guest phoenixexcinere
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Let us know how this works out for you.

Unfortunately not :( the colors are still pale

But if I set Tone Mapping Method to Extra-T, as you can see on ny screenshot, the colors are still perfect,  indeed, i think Emby use software tone mapping to do that, because the CPU usage is at 100%.

I must confess that I don`t know if a ryzen 3200g support tone mapping on hardware side

tonemapping.png

But how does it look/work now with Extra-T?

Looking good?

Guest phoenixexcinere

with Extra-Tthe colors looks good, but the videos lagging :( and the transcoding is shown as software transcoding

Edited by phoenixexcinere

Can you try this again and then post the ffmpeg log file that is created so we can take a look at it?
We should be able to see why it's transcoding in software vs gpu.

Guest phoenixexcinere
On 5/28/2021 at 7:29 PM, cayars said:

Can you try this again and then post the ffmpeg log file that is created so we can take a look at it?

of course :)

i saw, that under "hardware tone mapping options" no options ware avaiable. Maybe there is a problem with hardware support or tone mapping support with ryzen cpu?

Screenshot_2021-05-31 Emby.png

ffmpeg-transcode-8d0b9a7d-83cc-454a-90b8-79f178d5cf2b_1.txt

It's close but not quite fast enough.  You're likely better turning off HW and just using software as long as that works and is faster.

Guest phoenixexcinere

well with software tone mnapping the videos laggin too.

I think i will wait a few month. Maybe until then there is a solution or 4K HDR support for Firefox. We will see :)

thanks for your support, but one last question: do you think that there is a chance, that the  official Emby Docker Container will become Ryzen Driver Support, like the Jellyfin Docker?

If software tone mapping is lagging due to your CPU not being able to keep up, then waiting a few months won't do anything for you.

We have the fastest software tone mapping on the market, but even with that, you're still going to need a very powerful server machine.

Guest phoenixexcinere
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

you're still going to need a very powerful server machine.

thats that, what i mean :), or i will use emby theater and not the browser or maybe firefox will implement 4k and hdr support again....we will see. 

i thougt the ryzen is poweful enough, but i was not able to find any "erfahrungsberichte", i dont kno the english word (experience report maybe, well you know what i mean) :)

It`s not easy to find specific hardware requirements for that. In unraid forum is a threat about that too and if you ask thrree people, you will become five differnt answers^^

An Nvidia GPU is the way to go for an AMD CPU system but right now they are hard to get at a reasonable price.