how to stream to roku using laptop's built in hotspot (windows 10)

mrkics

mrkics

As the topic says this is my current configuration

roku -> laptop's hotspot wifi

since windows 10 is automatically applying ip address, how do i find the "ip address" of the laptop which im using as a hotspot (roku doesn't connect to house wifi because its too far)

i already tried the laptop's ip address 192.168.0.7 and the other address that appears on a vEthernet switch under ipconfig  192.168.169.49 still doesn't find the server

edit: nevermind, it appeared magically under select server ....  i think it was a matter of time

Edited by mrkics
  • Like 1

BTW, this is also a great way to take a stick or small device with you when trailing to hotels and still be able to watch some of your stuff while traveling.

I used to do this a couple days every week.

• Like 1

I had a system I used to use like this on the Sail boat, RV and when traveling with the kids on trips in the car. Now that they are grown up (time flies) I only do this when traveling as I dislike hotel TV and their selections and surely not going to pay for premium movies when I can bring my own.  LOL

I've left a chromecast and an android stick or two connected to the TV when leaving so now I've got an index card on my computer to remind me to disconnect and take it with me. Live and learn. :)

But this does work really well and no need to Ethernet or trying to use hotel WIFI for watching your own content.