Nvidia Shield & Harmony feature buttons

Dan_Austin

Dan_Austin

This is not an exhaustive list, and more would be welcome, but this info is currently spread
over multiple threads, and well, consolidation is good.  The buttons that are obvious and
which work as labeled will not be covered, unless a secret tweak is discovered that makes
them more usable.  If anyone has useful command sequences, please add them.

Features that make sense to have a dedicated button
Previous Channel is available as F3 in the Harmony app

Guide is mapped to Menu, but requires changing the Shield settings for Menu to pass to app 
Some ATV devices have a guide button, which should also launch the guide

Long pressing OK while streaming brings up stats 4 nerds and turns it off.  There does not appear to be a way to program
a Harmony button to send a long press.  You can  program a sequence-
(pre 1.8.17) down-1s pause-down-right-right-right-right-right-right-right-select-down-down-down-down-down-down-down-select
(1.8.17+) down-1s pause-right-right-right-right-right-right-select-down-down-down-down-down-down-down-select
Then map to Info (recommend Harmony long  mapping)

!!Warning about mapping menu steps to sequences!!  It is possible that sequence might be valid in another
part of emby with very different results.  A sequence meant to tune a favorite channel MIGHT use the same
steps that would delete a series when in the DVR library.  Since menu steps might change if the menus are
restructured and the results could be bad, using menu-based sequences should be considered a last resort.

(1.8.17+) Media Synopsis  uses the shortcut/sequence down-down (recommend Harmony info short mapping)

Harmony buttons with no shortcut or mapping found but would be nice-
Record - Mapped to Record for ATV devices with a 'Record' button on their remote
DVR - Go to Recordings library

Features not obvious
Up on the Jog wheel brings up 'Also On Now'
Long press Exit goes to the main menu, except while watching a LiveTV channel (appears to do nothing)
Long pressing OK while browsing media brings up a context menu, same as Menu button
Down-Down brings up playing media Synopsis

Edited by Dan_Austin
  • Like 2

MBSki

@Dan_Austin Thanks for starting this! Here are a few more. Might want to put the known shortcuts in list format so it's a little easier to read. Can you add this one?

• OK Long press - Brings up menu on just about any selected item

Question, what is the F3 button on Harmony? 

Sammy

I posted something about this at least a year ago. I'll dig it up and share the link or maybe @ebr already has it. 😉

Dan_Austin

Interesting, whilel streaming media long pressing OK does one thing, and while browsing does another.

F3 is not a button on the Harmony.  When programing the Harmony you are offered a list of buttons
that are available on the Shield game controller, which seems odd, until you realize that every Shield
supports that remote, so any button on it is available to the Harmony.

I don't have a one of the game controllers, but I suspect the F series buttons is how Logitech refers
to the 2nd joy pad and various game buttons.  What button is what is less important than know how
harmony identifies it and what it does in Emby.

Edited by Dan_Austin

Dan_Austin
33 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I posted something about this at least a year ago. I'll dig it up and share the link or maybe @ebr already has it. 😉

Yup, that is where I saw it and decided to give it a try.  (page3 of the below thread)

That leaves another 11 F keys that could be mapped to dedicated buttons/features.

• Like 1

Sammy
Yup, that is where I saw it and decided to give it a try.  (page3 of the below thread) That leaves another 11 F keys that could be mapped to dedicated buttons/features.

WOW!  

How'd you find that? I guess it was @cayars who started the thread.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sammy

Wonder if these keys are available on the MiBox s or if they are ShieldTV specific?

Should there be a more generic device discussion, maybe in a separate thread?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Dan_Austin

I suspect the vast majority are universal in the app.  As the list gets filled out,
perhaps an owner of one of those, or similar, can test and comment.

I am fairly sure I cannot edit the title, but a friendly mod might be able and willing.
Until then I wanted to be specific about the devices used.

As for finding the other post, I knew it contained the words guide, button and F3.
I've long since given up on forum search tools, and now just hit google.  The very
post was the first result.

15 hours ago, Dan_Austin said:

Interesting, whilel streaming media long pressing OK does one thing, and while browsing does another.

It is not uncommon for shortcuts or operations to be contextual.

Dan_Austin

If/when we confirm that the other ATV boxes support the mappings document the
title can be changed to 'Remote features, shortcuts and programmable remote hints'

For now I think the title is OK

17 hours ago, Dan_Austin said:

Record - Obvious

I just added this for the next beta but I have no way to test it so please do when that is available.

17 hours ago, Dan_Austin said:

Guide is mapped to Menu, but requires changing the Shield settings for Menu to pass to app (another button would be nice)

The "Guide" button is already in the app as well but whether or not that code actually reaches the app is up to the device and settings.

Dan_Austin

Couple quick questions about the record button.
1.  What is the short cut/key?
2.  What contexts are supported?  Guide?  While watching?

No worries on the same shortcuts doing different things in different context.
I had never thought to try it and had not seen it mentioned, so it was a minor
surprise.  And ultimately the exact purpose of the thread, to uncover nuggets
that makes the experience more pleasant.

Dan_Austin

Neither Shield remote have a guide button, but still usefull for other ATV platforms.  Notes added

19 minutes ago, Dan_Austin said:

What contexts are supported?  Guide?  While watching?

Only during live TV playback at this point.

leungalv
On 7/17/2020 at 7:07 PM, Dan_Austin said:

Guide is mapped to Menu, but requires changing the Shield settings for Menu to pass to app 
Some ATV devices have a guide button, which should also launch the guide

How do you go about doing this? 

Dan_Austin
8 hours ago, leungalv said:

How do you go about doing this? 

Press the menu button to open Shield settings sidebar, the 2nd or 3rd menu option
is something like Map Menu Button, which once selected gives you a dozen or
so options of what to do when Menu is pressed.  Set it to 'Send to App'

This does mean you have to exit out of any app to adjust the Shield settings, but
I suspect for most that will not be a big deal.

• Like 1

Dan_Austin
On 7/18/2020 at 9:29 AM, ebr said:

I just added this for the next beta but I have no way to test it so please do when that is available.

What button did you use?  I assume it might be 'record' for devices with a native record button.
If that is the case, can we get on one of the unused F keys also mapped?  My testing shows that
only F3 out of F1 through F12 is used.

Dan_Austin

Arbitrary, but documented.

Neither of the factory Shield remotes have a record button.  The Harmony does
but it needs to be mapped to a Shield button to function.  Without either an
arbitrary, but documented, F# button or shortcut, Shield users are not able
to take advantage of this feature.

Dan_Austin

Added a warning about using menu steps to create sequences for Harmony, or other programmable
remotes.  The probability is hard to estimate, but since the sequence steps will execute from wherever
focus is when executed, care and testing should be performed not only in the desired part of Emby,
but throughout the app.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
crusher11

So I just got myself a hub and set up my Harmony Ultimate One on my Shield.

"Sleep" makes it sleep. But...to wake it up, I have to get the Shield remote out of the drawer and power it on.

Am I missing something?

Dan_Austin

What are you sending in the activity start sequence?  I just send 'on', which seems to work for the majority of the time.  I occasionally get a solid purple screen, but a pressing OK on the Harmony wakes it up.

Dan_Austin

What are you using to edit the activity?  As I see power on steps in both the desktop app and Android app...