Video freezes on playback of Live TV

otatv

otatv

2020 LG OLED CX

I have found on Direct Play of Emby Live TV recordings using the Emby LG app (which I believe uses the LG video player), or, playing the recording exposed through Windows DLNA (uses the LG video player on the TV), sometimes the video freezes but the audio and timeline continues.  I have also seen the audio stop and the video continue on.  I also tried through Emby DLNA (uses the LG video player on the TV) but this is a worse result in that playback completely stops with error "This file cannot be recognized".  Now back to the example of playing through the Emby LG app or exposed via Windows DLNA on the LG TV.... when I skip back it freezes at the same location every time.  I can get the video going again by starting at a point after where it freezes.  What I then tried is playing the same recording on the Windows server via the Microsoft Movies & TV app and at the same troubled location the video shows a short reception issue resulting in a pixelated break up.  However the Microsoft app doesn't freeze at this location and the video continues to play fine.  So, my take is that the LG player is not able to recover to continue playing video and/or audio in Live TV recordings which have reception glitches.  Is this a known issue with the LG player?  Also, for a Direct Play scenario, is Emby just writing the Live TV mpeg stream to disk as-is and therefore would not be the culprit?

SamES

I wouldn't say that this is a known issue with the LG player, but if there is a problem with the video/audio stream, then it is probably not unexpected.  It is possible that the LG internal player is not as tolerant of these types of issues.

How have these recordings been made?   Using Emby?  What tuner are you using?

otatv

Live TV recordings are made by Emby server 4.4.3.0 with out-of-the-box settings using an HDHR Quatro tuner.  The server, TV, and tuner are all on wired ethernet.  Playback so far has been pretty solid except for 1 or 2 channels for which I have occasional reception blips where this freeze in playback is a problem throughout the recording.  This will likely be more prevalent for recordings made during bad weather.  If Emby is truly recording the OTA mpeg stream as-is, then the hope will be that LG improves their player.

As for trying to playback via Emby DLNA on the TV, I also mentioned playback stops with the LG TV giving error "This file cannot be recognized" but I think this is a separate unrelated problem as any file that normally plays fine through the Emby app will get this error on playback via DLNA on the LG TV after trying to skip forward/backward.  And, playback oddly continues to get this error even when trying to play the file again which otherwise had started to play fine.  However, after some time the LG TV can play the file again but trying to skip forward continues to trigger the error "This file cannot be recognized".  While I won't be using Emby DLNA playback often on the LG TV, this may be a problem for others.

mark-in-dallas

I've had a number of issues with the LG player, that don't exist when using anything else.  What I have found that usually corrects the issues is to transcode the affected video to a different container.  The biggest problem I've had is the skip functionality going completely bonkers, and an occasional video completely freezing.

The dlna error means that our lg dlna profile might need some adjustment. We'd have to go over a specific example.