Subtitles when speaking alternate language in movies

eric859

eric859

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't find anything with an initial search.

I have english speaking movies that occassionally require subs when actors are speaking different languages.  I thought something like that would be hardcoded into the movie, but apparently not because when I play these movies through Media Browser, there are no subs.  I don't know what they're saying.  Is there a workaround for this? 

I have a WMC HTPC running Win 7 with Media Browser v3 newest official release.  All movies are stored on a NAS and organized using Media Center Master.

Thank you!

Eric

chef

The subtitle tracks you are looking to get for you movie are called "English Forced Subtitles".

These can be found on the internet.  The server also seems to have a "Subtitle Grabber" built in. However there could be issues with syncing, if you ripped the movie copy yourself from disc, in which case I would imagine the "Ripping program" would have given you options to save the subs.

In any case you can google the "Forced Tracks" with the movie name, and they sould come up.

Subscene.com usually has a list to choose from.

Edited by chef

Koleckai Silvestri

Make sure your user account is set to show the subtitles as well. They may already be there but turned off.

In the Web Client, click on your user portrait in the upper right corner and select "My Preferences". Then click on Languages and set your Subtitle Language and the Subtitle Mode. If you don't want the subtitles all the time, select "Only Forced Subtitles" for the mode.

• Like 1

eric859

I noticed that there was an English labeled srt file in my movie's directory, so I went into the user settings and set the language and subtitle language preference to English.  I then tried both "Forced Subtitles" as well as "Always play subtitles".  Nothing.  I still don't have subtitles.  Then I tried to dl the forced subs from the site you have listed.  I renamed it the same name as the mp4 file.  Still nothing.  What am I doing wrong?

eric859

I'm using Media Browser Classic with Media Browser Server 3. I am not using an external player.  I downloaded both the other day, so everything is up to date.  I read on this forum that I may need to install LAV Filters and xy-vsfilter.  I installed them both and now I can get subs.  The problem is that I can't turn them off.  I'm trying to turn them off in MB Server user preferences like "Wayne Luke" posted above, but no luck.  Any ideas?

psykix

In LAV splitter, use advanced string, and use this *:*|f;eng:off;*:eng,*:* as the string.

Kudos to @@Ghostm for the string :-)

FYI, that will display forced subtitles, no subtitles when the audio is English, and English subtitles when the audio is anything other than English.

Edited by psykix

eric859

I found the issue.  I had Shark007 installed along with Windows Media Center and that already includes LAV splitter.  I opened the config for Shark007 and it was configured for No Subtitles.  Sorry for wasting your time guys.  Hopefully, by me posting the solution, someone else out there checks Shark007 setting first.