Have Emby at home, on the road w media, want to create a new server

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Traveling here.  Hotel internet.  Roku - Emby.  Works wonderfully at home. 

1) Cannot connect to home server here.  Keep getting something like 'problem with connection try again later'.

2) I have lots of media here.  I want to make a separate server here where I'm traveling that will connect thru my Roku.

After 90 minutes of searching, with no obvious (to me) luck, I come here to see about help.

What do I do to make a new Emby server that I can use here away from my home?

"Seeking help in rural Illinois"

Tom Bombadil

Here, I don't have ready access to the router, using the hotel's wifi.  My Roku is using their wifi just fine. 

I want to make a server here, that will allow me here, to view my media.  

As for my home server, your suggestion of port forwarding may be what I need, to view my home server when I am away from home, indeed.  Thank you for your link, I will get in to it when I get back to my router.

We'd have to look at a specific problem that you're having to really provide more insight. Thanks.

Happy2Play
22 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

Basically you would need a computer with all your media and Emby Server installed and your Roku.  The Roku should see your computer on the local network and connect, might have to manually connect Roku via IP and port.

Really depends on how much hardware you are traveling with.  Not positive if you can create a adhoc network with a Roku and computer.  But this would suggest so.

Q-Droid
22 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

Here, I don't have ready access to the router, using the hotel's wifi.  My Roku is using their wifi just fine. 

As for my home server, your suggestion of port forwarding may be what I need, to view my home server when I am away from home, indeed.  Thank you for your link, I will get in to it when I get back to my router.

I know this isn't what you asked but here goes anyway: Get yourself a travel router and your devices off of the hotel wifi, preferably one that also has ethernet ports. GL.iNet makes nice ones for this purpose.

Once you create a private network behind the hotel wifi then you can install Emby on any machine you own, connect it to your network and do the same with the Roku. You'll still have internet access, likely have better private wifi performance than the hotel and your devices will not be visible on the hotel network, only your router.

Most work with captive portals so typically that's not an issue.

• Like 1