No access to network drives

SvenBO

SvenBO

It is idle now to discuss local system accounts, user accounts or the like.

It worked like this for over 1 year, now it only works if the service is started as a user.

But why it has worked and then stopped working nobody seems to be able to tell me.

Edited by SvenBO

kernelcutter

Hi Sven, so you have created a single user account called homeflix but there are ALWAYS at least another 3 active accounts on any Windows 10 computer.  They are not user accounts but built-in accounts that cannot be removed and are separate to the Administrator account. 

I have been a Microsoft employee for 20-odd years now but I actually began my career as a contractor writing the Windows NT kernel 30 years ago.  

I cannot determine, from the information provided, why Emby worked for a time nor why it stopped working.  What I do know is that running Emby as a service logging on as Local System means that Emby would not have access to the mapped drives you created when logged in as homeflix.  That doesn’t mean that Emby wouldn’t have network access, just that the drive letter assignments you made as homeflix would not have been available.

Your NAS devices would need to allow everyone access for Emby running as Local System to see them or your PC account itself would need to have been granted access.  This is an area where NAS vendors are tightening access so it might explain the recent change. This is what I suspect.

Changing the account under which Emby runs to your log-in account provides Emby with the network access you yourself have on that machine since processes launched with the same account share such access. This is why is works now.

SvenBO

Well, i did not install any updates on both NAS in the last months. I only gave them a static ip adress and granted acces to everyone in my network as i got them.

So it is strange why it worked for over one year and then stopped working. The only important thing for me is that it runs again.

So thanks to all of you.

Edited by SvenBO