Ignore numbers in folder names

messoud

messoud

Hi,

I'm using Emby 4.4.3.0 and it has a problem with identifying many of my movies. For the sake of sorting by year, my folder structure is mostly like this:

Movie Series/Avengers/2019 - Endgame

Old Movies/1941 - Citizen Kane

1990s/1994 - Leon The Professional

Tho I have separate folders for each year after 2000 and the folder names in them don't start with numbers, so Emby has no problem with identifying them (like 2015/The Martian).

As I have a very large collection of movies and the folders are connected to their respective torrents, it would be far easier for me to find a way to make Emby ignore the pattern "NUMBER - " at the beginning of folder names while identifying with its online databases.

Is there any way to do such thing?

I know I could manually tell Emby which directory is what movie to identify, but as I said I've got so many movies and if I mass-rename the folders then I would have to relocate a large number of torrents in my bt client! 😕

Edited by messoud

Deathsquirrel

This is not a supported naming convention.  If you're putting each movie in its own folder, and I encourage that, the folder name should match the movie name on your metadata provider.  For simplicity's sake, I suggest doing the same with the movie file.  So, for avengers endgame with TheMovieDB as my primary metadata provider I have \\SERVER\SHARE\Movies\Avengers Endgame (2019)\Avengers Endgame (2019).mkv.

Your request is impossible to effectively parse as some movie titles are numbers.  You can enclose elements to ignore in square brackets, [ ], though I don't recall off the top of my head if that can go at the start of a title.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

daedalus
58 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Your request is impossible to effectively parse as some movie titles are numbers.

impossible is kind a exaggerated, it's a pretty fixed pattern

4 digit year followed by dash followed by the title, is an absolut reasonable naming if you want your things sorted by year

we just don't know why the naming scheme got changed in the 2000s, most people dont have a scheme or dont change it, but that's not to be discussed here

Deathsquirrel
1 hour ago, daedalus said:

4 digit year followed by dash followed by the title, is an absolut reasonable naming if you want your things sorted by year

we just don't know why the naming scheme got changed in the 2000s, most people dont have a scheme or dont change it, but that's not to be discussed here

Fair enough, as long as you religiously follow the pattern.  Still, not gonna work today.

crusher11
2 hours ago, daedalus said:

Do I take that to mean this is a bulk torrent that's floating around?

Yet again, people obtaining their movies illegally and complaining that the system doesn't work for them. Buy discs and these problems go away.

• Like 1

daedalus
4 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Yet again, people obtaining their movies illegally and complaining that the system doesn't work for them. Buy discs and these problems go away.

lol what?

messoud
8 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

This is not a supported naming convention.  If you're putting each movie in its own folder, and I encourage that, the folder name should match the movie name on your metadata provider.  For simplicity's sake, I suggest doing the same with the movie file.  So, for avengers endgame with TheMovieDB as my primary metadata provider I have \\SERVER\SHARE\Movies\Avengers Endgame (2019)\Avengers Endgame (2019).mkv.

Your request is impossible to effectively parse as some movie titles are numbers.  You can enclose elements to ignore in square brackets, [ ], though I don't recall off the top of my head if that can go at the start of a title.

I don't think that it would be "impossible" or even much hard for the devs to implement such feature; and there are not that many movies with a number at the start of their name.

All I'm saying is to tell the metadata grabber to ignore 4 digits and a dash at the beginning of movie names 😕 or it could be told in a function that if it fails to retrieve metadata, then maybe ignore the numbers and search the first English word in the title!

7 hours ago, daedalus said:

Probably because I was bored and decided to organize my collection a few years ago, then as there were too many movie files from after the 2000s, it was easier to make yearly directories. I'm sure nothing of significance happened in the year 2000 around here :D

5 hours ago, crusher11 said:

No it is not a bulk torrent. They're all the result of years of hard work and much blood and sweat spilled in underground cyber-mines

daedalus
1 minute ago, messoud said:

Probably because I was bored and decided to organize my collection a few years ago, then as there were too many movie files from after the 2000s, it was easier to make yearly directories. I'm sure nothing of significance happened in the year 2000 around here :D

if it's nothing special, why not grab an arbitrarty file renaming prog an simply update your old names, and get all fixxed without have to wait for someone to move?

messoud
Just now, daedalus said:

if it's nothing special, why not grab an arbitrarty file renaming prog an simply update your old names, and get all fixxed without have to wait for someone to move?

Cuz I'm seeding all these OVER 9000 movies and then I would have to either relocate them all inside the torrent client or use a tool or write a bash to edit the torrent client's database. Both I bet are going to take lots of time 🤔

Painkiller8818
9 hours ago, messoud said:

like 2015/The Martian)

This isn't a supported naming convention and implementing it like that will bring much more problems.

Think about Movies really starting with numbers like 101 dalmatians, 47 ronin etc.... This will mean all these movies won't get recorgnized because you would tell em it is the year.

Moviename (YEAR) is working. But 2015 The Martian would be a Problem (it could be part of the movie title)

daedalus
9 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

This isn't a supported naming convention and implementing it like that will bring much more problems.

it folder 2015 and then all movies from 2015 with just it's name als foldername

9 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Think about Movies really starting with numbers like 101 dalmatians, 47 ronin etc.... This will mean all these movies won't get recorgnized because you would tell em it is the year.

OP has a fixed pattern '4 digit year dash name'

both examples, 101 dalmatians, 47 ronin, dont match it

Edited by daedalus

daedalus

dont bet on anything and get it somehow fixed by yourself, as you see you wont get support here sry

crusher11
54 minutes ago, messoud said:

Cuz I'm seeding all these OVER 9000 movies and then I would have to either relocate them all inside the torrent client or use a tool or write a bash to edit the torrent client's database. Both I bet are going to take lots of time 🤔

Like I said, buy discs and this problem goes away. 

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

This has been answered.  Your naming convention doesn't match any supported standard for Emby and clearly isn't working.  You have some options:

1. Rename your files
  2. Leave them as-is and manually identify them in Emby.
  3. Depending on your OS, you can create links to the files, name and organize those properly, and scan those.  I haven't tested it in a while, but at one point several years ago I was doing this with Windows junction points to get around a limitation that used to exist in the library design.

With options 2 and 3 you may choose to raise an enhancement request for support of your naming scheme as well.

Spaceboy

But let’s be honest it’s going to be far far far quicker for you to reorganise the file structure yourself

pwhodges
12 hours ago, messoud said:

Cuz I'm seeding all these OVER 9000 movies

Would any of those torrents die if you personally stopped seeding them?

Paul

crusher11

Better question: should the Emby devs care if torrents die?

Buy. Your. Movies. It all works just fine then.

• Like 1

messoud
On 7/5/2020 at 1:50 PM, Painkiller8818 said:

Moviename (YEAR) is working. But 2015 The Martian would be a Problem (it could be part of the movie title)

But it wouldn't be hard to define some function where the users could tell the grabber to ignore patterns in names.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, daedalus said:

dont bet on anything and get it somehow fixed by yourself, as you see you wont get support here sry

Guess I'll make some more folders like 1940s/ and put the movies in them and put the year at the end of their folder names like 1940s/Citizen Kane [1941] and then I'll have to relocate sooo many torrents! 😕

On 7/5/2020 at 2:05 PM, crusher11 said:

Like I said, buy discs and this problem goes away. 

NEVER!!1

17 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

This has been answered.  Your naming convention doesn't match any supported standard for Emby and clearly isn't working.  You have some options:

1. Rename your files
  2. Leave them as-is and manually identify them in Emby.
  3. Depending on your OS, you can create links to the files, name and organize those properly, and scan those.  I haven't tested it in a while, but at one point several years ago I was doing this with Windows junction points to get around a limitation that used to exist in the library design.

With options 2 and 3 you may choose to raise an enhancement request for support of your naming scheme as well.

I haven't tested symlinks and shourtcuts 🤔 hmm it might work but then it would be too messy I guess. I did this naming to organize my movies, if I create all those many symlinks like "Citizen Kane >> /some/directory/1941 - Citizen Kane" there would be a large pile of symlinks, disorganized and hard to manage. I dunno

15 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

But let’s be honest it’s going to be far far far quicker for you to reorganise the file structure yourself

Yeah, I guess it's gonna be that. Have to spare a few hours and do it.

12 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Would any of those torrents die if you personally stopped seeding them?

Paul

YES! The universe would end and all the stars will go supernova and the planets will be devoured by supermassive black-holes if I stop seeding these movies. Also my ratio would go down... :D

pwhodges

Disks are not all that expensive these days.  Do what I do - have separate copies of your files for seeding and for streaming; then you can rename the streaming copy appropriately.  This also provides you with a backup, of course, which is a good thing.

Paul

Deathsquirrel
12 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Disks are not all that expensive these days.  Do what I do - have separate copies of your files for seeding and for streaming; then you can rename the streaming copy appropriately.  This also provides you with a backup, of course, which is a good thing.

Paul

They're cheap per MB but I have a LOT of MBs.  If I ran two separate live copies that'd be another 1k on NAS enclosures and 4k on freaking drives.  I shudder at the thought of implementing this advice :)

Maybe just rent a server for seeding?  I don't torrent but that also keeps it off your network for bandwidth caps.  Might be value in that.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

messoud

For the record, here's what I did and it mostly worked:

I put the year numbers in [ ] and Emby ignored most of them, seems there are some bugs regarding this method but it worked for most of the movies, the rest I did manual identifying and edited the titles to remove the numbers from them. So the folder names ended up like this:

Movies/1950s/[1953] - Roman Holiday/file.mkv

I used https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/ it might look a bit complicated and confusing at first but it's very feature-rich.

In the "Add" section I told it to put a [ "prefix" at the beginning and then "insert" a ] "at position" 6 to end up like [1953] - ...

mainscr.png

21 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

Not everywhere on this planet enjoys a stable economy. With the economy collapsing and the local currency equating to 💩, disks are not cheap around here anymore...

8 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

They're cheap per MB but I have a LOT of MBs.  If I ran two separate live copies that'd be another 1k on NAS enclosures and 4k on freaking drives.  I shudder at the thought of implementing this advice :)

Maybe just rent a server for seeding?  I don't torrent but that also keeps it off your network for bandwidth caps.  Might be value in that.

I used to buy large cheap disks and download like hell, then I took an arrow in the knee, now have to pay twice the price the 4TB Purples/Blacks were 2 years ago for just a 1TB Green! 🙄

Donate your extra disks to me, also fill them with some "quality content" :D 

Edited by messoud

17 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

No reason to have 2 live copies.

Deathsquirrel
4 hours ago, cayars said:

No reason to have 2 live copies.

You suggested 2 copies, one for streaming and one for seeding.  I say that would be expensive but I guess if I wasn't buying media because I could torrent everything, I'd have the money.

2 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

You suggested 2 copies, one for streaming and one for seeding.  I say that would be expensive but I guess if I wasn't buying media because I could torrent everything, I'd have the money.

Wasn't me who suggested that.  I'm not a torrent person. :)

Deathsquirrel
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Wasn't me who suggested that.  I'm not a torrent person. :)

Well I CAN read even if I clearly don't always choose to.

• Like 1