Can't get HW Transcoding working in Docker with Nvidia

Jackal83

EODCrafter
59 minutes ago, softworkz said:

I don't want to disturb everybody being happy and satisfied already, but for clarity and future readers:

• CUDA 11.x is not a requirement. The current minimum is CUDA 8.2
    The minimum required driver versions for this are:
    • Linux: 396.24 or newer
    • Windows: 397.93 or newer
  • You never need to install the CUDA Toolkit!
    That multi-Gigabyte download is for developers only
  • The installation instructions are always the same (like documented in the KB):
    • Go to nvidia.com
    • Go to driver download 
    • Follow the instructions

Always follow the instructions on the Nvidia site, even when the installed driver version appears to be sufficient!
Many Linux distributions include a subset of the Nvidia drivers only (e.g. without CUDA), so you cannot judge by the driver version only.

Why did updating that Massive CUDA work for me when my NVIDIA Version was already 460.XX? CUDA Version was reported as 11.2.

Capture.PNG

I can only assume that the run file NVIDIA Provides is the correct way to update the Drivers....image.png.6f6fd3eab1a07d2b98b4b39e9e520252.png

Edited by EODCrafter

4 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Why did updating that Massive CUDA work for me when my NVIDIA Version was already 460.XX? CUDA Version was reported as 11.2.

59 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Many Linux distributions include a subset of the Nvidia drivers only (e.g. without CUDA), so you cannot judge by the driver version only.

EODCrafter
1 minute ago, softworkz said:

That SS was taken Prior to the Docker Transcoding working.

EODCrafter
3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

I had CUDA 11.2....So why didn't it work? Oh well, too much for average users to comprehend, I guess. it works now...is there any way to remove the developers toolkit and keep CUDA 11.3?

Edited by EODCrafter

Just now, EODCrafter said:

I had CUDA 11.2....So why didn't it work? Oh well, too much for average users to comprehend, I guess.

I can't tell exactly why. Either there Distro-driver includes only partial CUDA components or the info display simply displays the version of CUDA that is normally bundled with the driver..

• Like 1

Most likely it is about some component that is closed source or where the Linux guys don't like the license and then they just don't include it in their package...well, it's Linux..

EODCrafter
1 minute ago, softworkz said:

Most likely it is about some component that is closed source or where the Linux guys don't like the license and then they just don't include it in their package...well, it's Linux..

I uninstalled the Toolkit and it removed NVIDIA and broke Emby, so I'm reinstalling NVIDIA...

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Apparently I can't get away from the CUDA toolkit. Just installing NVIDIA left me with a Blank Screen and When I dropped to prompt and installed `apt install cuda` it installed it all again :(

2 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Apparently I can't get away from the CUDA toolkit. Just installing NVIDIA left me with a Blank Screen and When I dropped to prompt and installed `apt install cuda` it installed it all again :(

Did you follow the installation instruction from the Nvidia website?

EODCrafter
4 hours ago, softworkz said:

My Card is not listed there...it is listed here and yes, I followed the instructions, pretty much Idiot proof TBH....https://us.driverscollection.com/?H=GeForce GTX 1050&By=NVidia&SS=Linux x86

I got old stuff.....image.thumb.png.de93f453f96ea4847404713610478adc.png

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

When I first installed the Docker, It worked, then it didn't work...Update CUDA...It Works. I can't satisfy your questions beyond that

21 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

My Card is not listed there...it is listed here and yes, I followed the instructions, pretty much Idiot proof TBH....https://us.driverscollection.com/?H=GeForce GTX 1050&By=NVidia&SS=Linux x86

Hmpf, nobody said something about "driverscollection"...

This is where you go to:

5 hours ago, softworkz said:

And there it will look like this:

image.png.a8bc6dc371943ae8af6bcdd5aa8678f5.png

No. 

And it doesn't really matter which one you pick. 

Edited by softworkz

EODCrafter
Just now, softworkz said:

No. 

It doesn't really matter which one you pick. 

I'll try it once again with that file and see if it works without toolkit.