Nvidia Shield Pro vs LG Emby App

crosspgh

crosspgh

Can anybody tell me the pros or cons to going with the shield. I know its 1G vs 100MB on the interface, which would be nice for large 4K movies and bitrates

It also seems to handle all video and audio formats. 

Do you watch a lot of high-bitrate 4K?  How about HD audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc.)?  PGS subtitles?

The Shield will probably handle all of those better than the built-in TV player.  If none of those are important to you, then may be a toss-up.

crosspgh

Do you watch a lot of high-bitrate 4K?  - Yes

How about HD audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc.)?  Would like to, now i have to change defaults so TrueHD is not the default

Subtitles - No

I think I'll get one and try it out, if works better, i'll keep it, if not, back it goes

Thanks for all your responses

rbjtech

Here are the pro's and cons of each - I now have both.

LG

Pro

•  if you have the magic remote - then this is by far the best navigation for Emby - point and click.
  •  No other hardware involved

Con

• No display frame matching (yet - this could come with an app update)
  • No HD Audio Support - even the CX does not support eARC
  • 'Limited' to 100Mbit Ethernet - so high (read > 80Mbit/sec) will stutter.  Good wireless will get you over this and there is also a way to use USB to get to approx 130Mbit. 

SHIELD PRO

Pro

•  Display frame and resolution matching to TV
  •  HD Audio Support - I have tried them all - TruHD Atmos, DTS-HD, DTS-X etc - All play as passthrough to a receiver just fine.
  •  1 Gig Ethernet interface (but App is limited to 110 Mbit/sec anyway - see below)

Con

• Navigation without the magic remote seems antiquated .. :(
  • App is currently limited to 110 Mbit/sec anyway - but this may change soon

I basically use the LG App for all non 4K watching - and use the Shield only for 4K 'movie' nights where I want the best/full experience with the equipment I have.

I hope this helps.

CBers
16 hours ago, crosspgh said:

Can anybody tell me the pros or cons to going with the shield. I know its 1G vs 100MB on the interface, which would be nice for large 4K movies and bitrates

It also seems to handle all video and audio formats. 

12 hours ago, Luke said:

@CBers may have some tips on that as he has both.

A Shield with the ATV app all day.

FrostByte

Does the LG app play dual layer Dolby Vision files?  I believe Exoplayer only supports single layer files.  However, then you're trading HD audio for DV.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte
Would the tube work just as good. Seems to be, but not sure

I would stay away from the tube if you're playing a lot of 4k. There's another thread here with many people complaining. Less memory and it's only 32 bit

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

crosspgh

thanks to all, got the Pro and it's pretty impressive. Plays Dolby Atmos no problem. Can't wait for movie night

• Like 3

16 hours ago, crosspgh said:

Would the tube work just as good. Seems to be, but not sure

High bitrate 4K is a problem with that device.  If that were not a requirement, then, yes, the tube is a fine choice.