Doesn't seem to be properly recognizing HD-DVD folder rips

glynnsmith

glynnsmith

It does not seem to be properly recognizing HD-DVDs properly.  It seems to believe it is a collection due to the unrecognized folder structure.  Are HD-DVDs no longer supported?

53c421d2ba47a_HDVDIssueSH1.png

53c421eb6761a_HDVDIssueSH2.png

MBClassic-14720149164914770c74329b67b1459fd3dfb98.log

MBClassic-1472014be897956580d46ffb626764fbce6a68e.log

MBClassic-1472014f5428e6dbf954a899ca2d20d66d8078b.log

MBClassic-147201425f22a1c571a4efca164ff0f4a038c24.log

server-63540940389.txt

server-63540940284.txt

server-63540892800.txt

glynnsmith

Hmm. is there anyway to make this work or arrange the directories in some way that would recognize?  Or is this just a format that will not be supported moving forward.  I currently have about 40-50 movies currently in the format.

techywarrior

I recently ripped all my HD-DVD's to m2ts so I don't have to use my HD-DVD player unless I want some of the specials I didn't rip (or if it ever dies) and I noticed that all the HD-DVD's were 29.97 fps. I guess it was before they started making blu-ray/dvd at "24 fps" common.

Anyway, not entirely related but I noticed that in MBC the panning and motion isn't smooth. It's like frames are dropped/skipped. I know Intel had an issue with exact FPS in their silicon before but I have a Haswell chip which is supposed to have their tightest tolerance to date (from what I remember it's just as close now as ATI/AMD and Nvidia). Anyways, I also know there is an issue with auto framerate switching in WMC.

Glynn, have you seen the same thing with your HD-DVDs or do you use an external player?

Or for that matter, anyone else have that issue or is it know and just use an external player instead of the WMC player?

glynnsmith

I have always left them in the HD-DVD folder rip format and used Total Media Theatre to play the movies.  I had not noticed any issues with approaching in that way in the past. 

I guess I could rip to ISO, but I haven't worked with setting that up properly in Media Browser and a fairly painful process to go through all the discs again.  I was planning on getting ISOs working it for my bluray 3d anyway, so might be the way to go. 

Hmm. is there anyway to make this work or arrange the directories in some way that would recognize?  Or is this just a format that will not be supported moving forward.  I currently have about 40-50 movies currently in the format.

The format died nearly ten years ago.  I would convert them to mkv or some other container which would provide a much wider available use.

glynnsmith

6 years, but I get your point.  I guess I have always been concerned I will lose some quality transferring to mkv.  However, it is probably just a comfort level issue until I figure out how it works.  Is there a particular application you think works well?

Edited by glynnsmith

techywarrior

MakeMKV works really well and you can rip the entire disc with no alteration to quality. It will just take all the video and audio streams and put them into an MKV container.

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel

6 years, but I get your point.  I guess I have always been concerned I will looks some quality transferring to mkv.  However, it is probably just a comfort level issue until I figure out how it works.  Is there a particular application you thing works well?

I'd suggest MakeMKV.  Note that altering the quality is not required at all.  You can decode the video and shove it in the MKV container with ease.  I don't, but you can. :)

• Like 1