Rooted paths to metadata in the .nfo files

fogpuppy

fogpuppy

Does anyone know how to make Emby store relative paths for the posters, fan art, etc. in the .nfo files.  I've got my library set to store the metadata in the folder with the media but it's putting rooted paths in the .nfo file which is a pain in the butt when I have to move things around or copy them to a new server that might not have an identical setup.  Basically I'm trying to set up a reusable media/metadata structure. This is a little snippet of one of the nfo files:

<art>
    <poster>/Volumes/Data/Media/plane/Movies/21 Grams (2003)/poster.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>/Volumes/Data/Media/plane/Movies/21 Grams (2003)/fanart.jpg</fanart>
  </art>

Ideally the paths would be based off the location of the corresponding media file so something like this:

<art>
    <poster>poster.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>fanart.jpg</fanart>
  </art>

Or if not that at least make them relative to the "base" of the library which in this care is "/Volumes/Data/Media/plane/Movies" so you'd get something like:

<art>
    <poster>./21 Grams (2003)/poster.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>./21 Grams (2003)/fanart.jpg</fanart>
  </art>

Edited by fogpuppy

pünktchen

If you store images with your media, i would disable the writing of image paths to nfo files.
Even Kodi always prefers local images over the image paths from nfo. And if the local image doesn't exist anymore, the local path in your nfo is also obsolete. So why even bother?

• Like 1

fogpuppy

Ok so you’re saying it doesn’t matter that the nfo file has rooted paths because Embys going to use the images co-located with the media and ignore the path in the nfo?  I ask because after you move a directory the paths are wrong. If they’re going to be ignored then it may not matter ... though it would still be better if they were relative so they were not wrong.

For what it's worth, new Emby server installations have this option disabled by default now.

Writing the image paths to the NFO I believe.  That is only done for 3rd party apps.  We don't use that data.

fogpuppy

Ok good to know.  So to confirm I can safely ignore the paths in the nfo and Emby will use the files in the same directory as the media file they are for. That means if I copy a directory and it’s contents to a new server it should be “pre-populated” with the right files without having to fetch metadata”....

Happy2Play

Correct all existing local metadata and images will be read before looking online.  As noted some information is only used by Kodi/third party apps.

But you could look at the Nfo Metadata option via Dashboard-Nfo Metadata (server section) or Clicking on Nfo Metadata in Plugins.

Edited by Happy2Play

fogpuppy

Yes ..  thanks.   I was able to confirm that the local meta data was used even when the paths are bogus.  Plus, I can change the setting to turn off storing the patch in the first place.   So as long as all the files are named in standard ways it's good.  So this is "solved" from my perspective.

Edited by fogpuppy