Issues with live tv streming and exoplayer

freddyfinn

freddyfinn

Since the last few app updates live tv has been problematic to say the least. The picture quality starts smooth the deteriorates to jittery garbage. The seek functions also no longer work properly and cause playback to freeze on and off along with pauses in live tv playback.

I've used VLC and MX Player as external players and this fixes the problem. HD homerun app is smooth as well. 

I will try installing an older version of the Emby app. 

Sammy

What device are you using?

Also see the following:

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

Hi. I don't see any issues with that playback. Looks like a straight stream copy delivered at 25fps steady.  I guess this is a PAL channel?

What happens if you turn on the option in the app to direct stream live TV?

freddyfinn
16 hours ago, ebr said:

What happens if you turn on the option in the app to direct stream live TV?

Same issue. 

I have also noted that quite a few people in live tv forum are discussing this issue. I too have issues with emby locking tuners and filling the transcoding folder. Some moves have done this as well. When I changed from 7HD to 7flix, 7hd stayed locked by emby.

Mine also stop starts and sometimes pausing or skipping back fixes it. It has also caused my shield to reboot twice. 

I tested live tv with plex and the same issue occurred. Both use exoplayer. 

The only thing I can't do on my tuners is roll back the recent firmware update.  I'm not convinced silicondust delivered a good update as they had to do two quick HD app updates as well. 

Yes mine is a PAL system. 

Screenshot_20200708-180945_Chrome.jpg

The symptoms you describe sound a lot like the memory issues with high bitrate content.  is this one of the new "tube" Shields?

freddyfinn
7 hours ago, ebr said:

The symptoms you describe sound a lot like the memory issues with high bitrate content.  is this one of the new "tube" Shields?

No its a 2017 Shield. And yes i thought the same so I did a full reset of the Shield and reloaded emby only but the issues continue. 

4k streams smoothly from Amazon, Netflix and local content. 

Server side hasn't changed. AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32gb DDR 4 Ram, Radeon Pro WX 3200 Graphics Card. 

I was able to fix the normal playback issue where the picture becomes jittery garbage. The issue believe it or not was the HDMI ARC cable between the sound bar and TV.  One of the first things I changed was the HDMI lead between the Shield and TV. This didn't affect any other apps beside Emby and PLEX and only live TV.  Don't ask I don't understand it myself.  

However the other issues remain. 

I have found if you play a channel that's recording from the start that also causes pixelation and again skipping back and forth can get it going again but not for long. 

Where the Silicondust HD app seems to compensate for small glitches and continue to play, rewind and fast forward without issue exoplayer fails not only in Emby but in PLEX as well. 

Channel locking, start stop glitches and skipping forward and back seem to be the main issues. The server and app don't seem to communicate properly or particularly well if you start stop something quickly. Some mornings my transcoding file is full. Transcoding drive is a Samsung 500gb 860EVO M.2 card. 

freddyfinn

Luke Would it be possible for the live TV stream to buffer directly on the device it streams to much like Android TV and Silicondust HD?  This would definitely sort out skipping back and forth and should make live tv start much much faster. On android it would be good to have the ability to select external storage for the record buffer.

13 hours ago, freddyfinn said:

Luke Would it be possible for the live TV stream to buffer directly on the device it streams to

Possibly, although it may have to be a much more limited buffer and some devices may not be able to support much.

• Thanks 1

freddyfinn
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Possibly, although it may have to be a much more limited buffer and some devices may not be able to support much.

The firestick would be one of those devices although they can have external storage added. 

It would havd to be an option in the apps. 

I can get around 10-15 minutes from silicondust HD which is enough. 

If I could chose external storage I'd have tons of space.