Split second audio mute now and then

markmg

markmg

I have been using emby for years now, works great, only 1 thing that i have always had, and starts to irritate now.

When watching series or movies i sometimes get a second that it mutes, at first i thought it was my setup but i changed everything and i still have it.

My current setup 

Emby server on a QNAP TVS-872XT in a docker 

Shield pro 2019 model 

Sonos Arc soundbar 

Lg C9 TV

Does anyone know what could be causing this split second mute ? 

Edited by markmg

• 4 weeks later...
blumamba

Your HDMI cable is probably going bad.  I had that on my HTPC and it would even drop the picture like DRM handshake issues.  But after going through the motions to confirm what it was vs what it wasnt, it turned out the HDMI was bad.  I just had to replace one on my SHIELD too because it was doing the same thing.  Once I replaced the one on my HTPC I didnt have any more issues.  I am waiting to see if the problem is gone on the SHIELD, since I used an older one.

Make sure the HDMI is the correct spec or you will have issues.

FrostByte

I notice the same thing once in awhile when playing 4K movies with HD audio.  It's real quick and probably only happens once.  I'll have to order a new cable from Amazon I guess

markmg

It's not my HDMI cable because is renewed them for premium 8k versions.

I have it with all media i play with emby. 

its difficult to get a example because it's so random, the moment i hear it and skip back to record it, it plays normal. 

• Like 1

rbjtech

Is anything else running on the Shield that could cause this ?

I removed all the 'junk' I could off my Shield Pro (and yes I'm including PMS in that category as it's factory installed ..) - as this saves internal memory and of course storage space but it also stops anything else attempting to use the Shields resources. 

Being a Sonos - I presume this only plays AC3 / Dolby Digital / DD+ over ARC ?  Is there a pattern at all - ie does it only happen on DD+ for example ?

markmg

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

No i removed all the apps from the Shield also.

The Sonos ARC plays everyting, except DTS 

I have it with all audio formats.

New TV LG OLED

New Shield 2019

New HDMI Cable

Moved from a dedicated windows machine to a QNAP TVS-872XT NAS for emby server 

Its something in Emby but i cant figure out what

markmg
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Is this one of the "tube" Shields?  Is it high-bitrate content/audio?

No its the new Shield Pro 2019, i thought it could have been the Shield 2017 Pro so i upgraded it 

i dont think so its 90% content downloaded from newsgroups, most is regular HD content and a few 4K movies.   

When i use plex or youtube i have no problems.

I can share a complete backup of my emby server if that could help ? 

markmg
25 minutes ago, cayars said:

This is when direct playing media correct?

Yes when direct playing media, the moment it happens and i rewind it plays normal again so i cant really film it 

rbjtech

I don't think we can say it's the Emby app directly that has the problem but a combination with other equipment is causing the glitches - I'm running a 2019 Shield Pro > Denon AVR-X > LG C8 and I don't have any audio issues, even with HD-Audio.

I'm presuming the Sonos ARC is (as the name suggests) is using ARC from the LG.  So your setup is 2019 Shield Pro > LG C9 > Sonos ARC ?

The LG does not support eARC passthrough for HD Audio - so presumably (with direct play) you are selecting the standard AC3 / Dolby Digital track ?

Edited by rbjtech

markmg
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I don't think we can say it's the Emby app directly that has the problem but a combination with other equipment is causing the glitches - I'm running a 2019 Shield Pro > Denon AVR-X > LG C8 and I don't have any audio issues, even with HD-Audio.

I'm presuming the Sonos ARC is (as the name suggests) is using ARC from the LG.  So your setup is 2019 Shield Pro > LG C9 > Sonos ARC ?

The LG does not support eARC passthrough for HD Audio - so presumably (with direct play) you are selecting the standard AC3 / Dolby Digital track ?

Yes its the Sonos ARC as far as i know the LG C9 supports eARC for HD Audio, and even if it didnt i have it with all audio played with emby

i have this setup for a few weeks now, in the past i had it connected with a onkyo and LG C7 and had exactly the same problem, I know there are people around with no problems but unfortnatly i am not one of them,

i even changed my network cables, switch, there isnt anything i didnt change in the past year 

At the 10 second mark you can hear it, its a LG77 C9 TV with Sonos ARC, SUB and 2 one's for surround

the moment i want to skip backwards to simulate it again, its gone.

Edited by markmg

rbjtech

I hear it - a micro stutter.

How was the Onkyo connected - was this via ARC as well ?

Shield > TV > Onkyo via ARC ?

or 

Shield > Onkyo > TV  (not ARC) ?

If you have the Shield connected to just the TV internal speakers - do you hear the micro stutters issues ?

markmg
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I hear it - a micro stutter.

How was the Onkyo connected - was this via ARC as well ?

Shield > TV > Onkyo via ARC ?

or 

Shield > Onkyo > TV  (not ARC) ?

If you have the Shield connected to just the TV internal speakers - do you hear the micro stutters issues ?

It was connected with ARC and without, yes i also hear it with the internal speakers.

i also have it when using the LG app, when using the webbrowser i also get it but not as often.

rbjtech

wow ok .. hmmm

If you copy the media file to a USB stick and play it via the internal LG player - does it happen then ?

..and when you say it also happens in a web browser - do you mean the browser on the TV or the browser on a PC ?

Edited by rbjtech

markmg
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

wow ok .. hmmm

If you copy the media file to a USB stick and play it via the internal LG player - does it happen then ?

..and when you say it also happens in a web browser - do you mean the browser on the TV or the browser on a PC ?

Everything else plays flawless, Plex, Netflix, demo Dolby atmos files on USB direct in the tv, the setup box, Xbox, Playstation, youtube.

On the Shield also netflix, plex, youtube play flawless, the easy way is to switch to plex, but that doesn't come close to Emby for me

rbjtech

Short of fixing the problem, the only option left and still use emby is to force it to use an external player (VLC for example), but then you lose all the nice Emby playback features such as chapters etc etc - not really what you want ...