What is the next big thing for Emby?

thebutchergr

MBSki

Glad we're all saying the same thing. We don't want the Plex UI, but we have ideas on how to make the Emby UI better.

Armageus
On 6/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, Armageus said:

Hopefully it's the Live TV improvements that have been mentioned for what seem like forever:

Channel Editing

Native Tuner Support

Thinking about it more, as a Sky Q subscriber just about to cancel due to cost - improving TV functionality is a huge opportunity

If tuning time can be improved to match standard set top boxes (hopefully native tuner support would do this), then I'd be all over Emby as a TV solution (as there are no other dedicated hardware options for recording and then viewing anywhere or e.g. 'fluid viewing')

Unfortunately with what looks a single main dev who also seems to have to reply to most forum topics (no disrepect intended to Luke), I'm not hopeful to see any "next big thing" for any time soon. 

6 hours ago, Armageus said:

Thinking about it more, as a Sky Q subscriber just about to cancel due to cost - improving TV functionality is a huge opportunity

If tuning time can be improved to match standard set top boxes (hopefully native tuner support would do this), then I'd be all over Emby as a TV solution (as there are no other dedicated hardware options for recording and then viewing anywhere or e.g. 'fluid viewing')

Unfortunately with what looks a single main dev who also seems to have to reply to most forum topics (no disrepect intended to Luke), I'm not hopeful to see any "next big thing" for any time soon. 

We have a team of developers, and we keep most of them isolated from the forum to ensure as much of their time is spent on development as possible.

• Like 6

Armageus
40 minutes ago, Luke said:

We have a team of developers, and we keep most of them isolated from the forum to ensure as much of their time is spent on development as possible.

Thanks for the clarification, and apologies for the incorrect assumption

• 1 month later...
MBSki
On 6/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, K1ng_Lear said:

@mbarylski Sure, you're right, everything can be made better.

But a lot of people, including me, are afraid that the claim "make a more modern UI" ends up in the PLEX bullshit. Yeah, PLEX may be look a bit more modern but modern must not mean better. The PLEX UI is a pain in the ass and it looks like "modern" crap. I love it to change my icons and so on.

@K1ng_Lear Cool your jets man. There's good in both UI's. To say the "Plex UI is a pain in the ass and it looks like modern crap" is absolute BS. Fine if you prefer Emby over Plex, but not everyone agrees with you. A lot of us former Plexers prefer the Plex UI and for good reason. Stop trashing us just because you disagree. More and more Plexers are defecting to Emby so get used to more Plex examples being used in this forum. Let me be clear though. No one is trying to make the Emby UI the same as the Plex UI. The one thing that I believe every Emby user agrees on is that the Emby UI should be unique. Using Plex examples doesn't change that. 

unisoft
18 hours ago, mbarylski said:

@K1ng_Lear Cool your jets man. There's good in both UI's. To say the "Plex UI is a pain in the ass and it looks like modern crap" is absolute BS. Fine if you prefer Emby over Plex, but not everyone agrees with you. A lot of us former Plexers prefer the Plex UI and for good reason. Stop trashing us just because you disagree. More and more Plexers are defecting to Emby so get used to more Plex examples being used in this forum. Let me be clear though. No one is trying to make the Emby UI the same as the Plex UI. The one thing that I believe every Emby user agrees on is that the Emby UI should be unique. Using Plex examples doesn't change that. 

If you like Plex, stay with Plex. Simples.

The rest of us like Emby's interface. It can be improved upon but NOT by replicating the terrible UI of Plex which looks more like a computer app than a 10 foot UI interface required for TV. Plex looks thrown together to me hence choosing Emby.

• Like 1

MBSki
2 hours ago, unisoft said:

If you like Plex, stay with Plex. Simples.

@unisoft Why the heck would I or any of the other former Plexers be using Emby if we wanted to stay with Plex!? Plex doesn't provide the functionality we need. Accept it and stop trying to scare us away. We're not going anywhere.

2 hours ago, unisoft said:

The rest of us like Emby's interface.

Don't speak for everyone else. Accept the fact that every Emby user has their own opinion, and it's through ALL of those opinions that we can help Luke and ebr make improvements to Emby.

3 hours ago, unisoft said:

It can be improved upon but NOT by replicating the terrible UI of Plex which looks more like a computer app than a 10 foot UI interface required for TV. Plex looks thrown together to me hence choosing Emby.

Will you please read what I said? "No one is trying to make the Emby UI the same as the Plex UI. The one thing that I believe every Emby user agrees on is that the Emby UI should be unique. Using Plex examples doesn't change that."

Diedrich
On 6/18/2020 at 5:45 PM, Luke said:

Hi, what feedback do you have on the UI?

I find it incredibly frustrating to use Emby Theater navigation. I have an outstanding feature request to add a simple 'Home' button to the header so that a user can jump out of a 4-level-deep menu trail to get straight back to the Home Screen. As it is now, I feel like I'm using my old Garmin GPS unit that didn't have a home button and it took 5 or 6 back button presses just to get back to the home screen! So frustrating.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Diedrich said:

and it took 5 or 6 back button presses just to get back to the home screen

While I agree a shortcut to home is a good thing to have, an actual on-screen button is probably not the way to do it.  It would likely take you more remote presses to get to the home button than it would to just go back to home...

In Android TV we implemented a long-press back function to go home.  We can look into doing that in Theater as well.

• Like 3

Deathsquirrel
9 hours ago, ebr said:

While I agree a shortcut to home is a good thing to have, an actual on-screen button is probably not the way to do it.  It would likely take you more remote presses to get to the home button than it would to just go back to home...

In Android TV we implemented a long-press back function to go home.  We can look into doing that in Theater as well.

This is, by the way, an excellent example of why I try to teach customers to tell me what they want to achieve, not tell me how to achieve it when raising feature requests.  The need was to click less.  The request was to click about the same amount, in a different direction.

• 4 weeks later...

We need to start with the basics how about in the recordings to have a channel name and time when it got recorded. Everything else is there except the most important detail for recordings. It needs lots of improvements in the PVR section, like ordering channels there are way around it but most new users will not know the sort tags, custom recordings, in Live TV- Recordings able to group recordings so you don't have to use the recordings library outside live tv. The Recordings library outside live tv to arrange series on the latest recording, ability to record a series from individual recording.