Support Multi-version files with base file name ≠ folder name

Secundo°

Secundo°

Hi,

I'm using the multi-version support for movies and as long as I stick to the movie naming convention it works. But there is the requirement that the part before the ' - ' dash must be equal to the folder name. Why is that strictly necessary? Wouldn't it be enough if the movie files all had the same name before the ' - ' dash? I'd like to name my folders so that they are together and in order when sorted alphabetically in the explorer and the video file names are the actual movie names. Eg. the folders are called "Pirates of the Caribbean 1", "Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Dead Man's Chest", "Pirates of the Caribbean 3 - At World's End" and so on. And the corresponding files have the correct movie title but without the numbers as they don't belong to the name.

If the implementation is not too complicated, I'd request to remove the requirement that each version must begin with the exact folder name and only require each version to begin with the same name.

Edit: I does work if I stack the folders into each other. Eg. "[Sortable Title]/[Actual movie title]/[Actual movie title] - version.ext". But this should only be a workaround (i guess).

Edited by Secundo°
Added workaround

Happy2Play

Sounds like you want to use the plugin if you don't want to use documented naming scheme.

The plugin works similar to the auto boxsets, but does the "movie versions grouping" - it will group all movies based on their TMDB id into one item, regardless of where they're placed and how they're named.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63643-automatic-version-grouping-for-movies

• Thanks 1

Secundo°

Hi, you can always merge them using the multi select tool.

That's a nice feature. I didn't know that. I will do it that way for all the media files that are separated at the moment. I guess there is a implementation based reason for the current requirement. I don't know how hard it would be to change the implementation that way but it would be great if these files could be merged automatically in the future.

Edited by Secundo°
added quote for clarification

Secundo°

Sounds like you want to use the plugin if you don't want to use documented naming scheme.

Thank you. I will take a look at it. Seems to be exactly what I was searching for :)

18 minutes ago, Secundo° said:

Hi,

I'm using the multi-version support for movies and as long as I stick to the movie naming convention it works. But there is the requirement that the part before the ' - ' dash must be equal to the folder name. Why is that strictly necessary? Wouldn't it be enough if the movie files all had the same name before the ' - ' dash? I'd like to name my folders so that they are together and in order when sorted alphabetically in the explorer and the video file names are the actual movie names. Eg. the folders are called "Pirates of the Caribbean 1", "Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Dead Man's Chest", "Pirates of the Caribbean 3 - At World's End" and so on. And the corresponding files have the correct movie title but without the numbers as they don't belong to the name.

If the implementation is not too complicated, I'd request to remove the requirement that each version must begin with the exact folder name and only require each version to begin with the same name.

Edit: I does work if I stack the folders into each other. Eg. "[Sortable Title]/[Actual movie title]/[Actual movie title] - version.ext". But this should only be a workaround (i guess).

I think that you miss understood the naming convention with the "-". You would use this naming if you had multiple copies of the same movie. For example I have 4 copies of Blade Runner: the Original Theatrical release,  The European Cut, The Directors Cut, and The Final Cut. They are all in the same folder "Blade Runner (1982)" Each title is then named "Blade Runner (1982) - OTR", "Blade Runner (1982) - European Cut", etc.. When done this way you get a drop down box that allows you to pick which version you wan to play. Each "Pirates" movie is a separate entity unto itself and should have its own folder.

Secundo°

No, I meant when I have multiple copies of the same movie. For example I'd have: "Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest (2006) - 2160p", "Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest (2006) - 1080p", "Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest (2006) - 720p - mobile". But since the parent folder is named "Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Dead Man's Chest (2006)" (for sorting reasons), it is not the same base name as the files and the files are shown separatly inside the library. If I would remove the "2" from the parent folders name it would be correctly recognized as multi-version file and I would get the drop down menu.

Edit: by listing the folder names in my initial post I only wanted to show why and how they are different from the file names within these folders

Edited by Secundo°

Hopefully, you've found a solution that will work for you because, off the top of my head, the performance implications of supporting what you suggested would be massive :).