Live TV Freezing Every Few Seconds After Playing

mev

I have noticed in some instances that Live TV (from both M3U and HDHomerun) can freeze for a split second a couple of times when initially played. It can last for up to 5 mins before it settles down.

The fix I have for it currently is to pause the Live TV for 30 seconds at the beginning which seems to effectively resolve the problem.

From the emby server page, it seems to happen with both direct streaming and transcode streams, however the issue is noticeably prolonged with a transcode stream.

Is there a setting where we can increase a buffer size on Live TV? If not it would certainly be a useful feature.

Thanks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi, which app are you using for playback?

Sorry probably should have mentioned that :)

Its happening both on the Web player and on Emby Theatre for Windows.

M

SHSPVR
On 6/16/2020 at 7:47 AM, mev said:

Sorry probably should have mentioned that :)

Its happening both on the Web player and on Emby Theatre for Windows.

M

What is your system server spec list of all hardware and layout ?.

In emby what is transcoding temporary path set to ?.

what anti virus are you using ?.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SHSPVR said:

What is your system server spec list of all hardware and layout ?.

In emby what is transcoding temporary path set to ?.

what anti virus are you using ?.

I have included an image with my general setup

- There is no AV installed on the Emby Server apart from Windows Defender

- Transcode Path C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp (Enable hardware acceleration when available is set to Yes)

For Clarification (should it help in any way):

TV Head End is not doing any transcoding - Its use is purely to force English audio on satellite channels. The issue still happens with a M3U direct from the Telestar SAT>IP box.

Issue also happens on the channels from HD Home Run which is connected direct to Emby and does not use TV Head End

The Windows OS is Windows 10 Pro (OS Build 19041.329)

The OS drive is a 500GB SSD (71% free)

The only purpose of the machine is to run Emby - there are no other applications installed.

EmbySpec.thumb.jpg.7bc9f57fb05f50543a56a16a064fef38.jpg

CyberPoison
I have noticed in some instances that Live TV (from both M3U and HDHomerun) can freeze for a split second a couple of times when initially played. It can last for up to 5 mins before it settles down.
The fix I have for it currently is to pause the Live TV for 30 seconds at the beginning which seems to effectively resolve the problem.
From the emby server page, it seems to happen with both direct streaming and transcode streams, however the issue is noticeably prolonged with a transcode stream.
Is there a setting where we can increase a buffer size on Live TV? If not it would certainly be a useful feature.
Thanks
Same issue here [emoji848]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

SHSPVR

As rule you should add an exclusions to Windows Defender by point to C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server and any media folder so that doesn't scan causes speed bumps even on SSD

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SHSPVR said:

As rule you should add an exclusions to Windows Defender by point to C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server and any media folder so that doesn't scan causes speed bumps even on SSD

I am 99% sure I excluded it but can't be certain.

I will check it out and test it over the next few hrs and let you know how it goes

Thanks a mill

SHSPVR
13 minutes ago, mev said:

I am 99% sure I excluded it but can't be certain.

I will check it out and test it over the next few hrs and let you know how it goes

Thanks a mill

Besure test Enable hardware acceleration when available is set to NO just rule out the 1050ti

Edited by SHSPVR

2 minutes ago, SHSPVR said:

Besure test Enable hardware acceleration when available is set to NO just rule the 1050ti

Fair point, I will do a test with and without Hardware acceleration on to see if any improvement

8 hours ago, SHSPVR said:

Besure test Enable hardware acceleration when available is set to NO just rule out the 1050ti

I have done a few tests, sadly none of them resolved the issue

- Excluded C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server  and all media directories from Windows Defender (no change)

- Temporarily disabled Windows Defender

- Powered down server for a while and restarted

- Disabled Hardware acceleration (this actually made it worse, the freezing was more frequent)

The same fix still works - pause for 3-5 seconds and all is good.

SHSPVR
1 hour ago, mev said:

I have done a few tests, sadly none of them resolved the issue

- Excluded C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server  and all media directories from Windows Defender (no change)

- Temporarily disabled Windows Defender

- Powered down server for a while and restarted

- Disabled Hardware acceleration (this actually made it worse, the freezing was more frequent)

The same fix still works - pause for 3-5 seconds and all is good.

That help a lot if you disabled hardware acceleration and it is actually made thing worse then something causing the bottle neck my guest it I/O related with that system motherboard just wondering what make and model is the motherboard.

Try downgrade the system to 16GB you really don't need 32GB heck it is still a bit over kill.

I know if can up buffer the size but I'm Luke will get the answer

4 minutes ago, SHSPVR said:

That help a lot if you disabled hardware acceleration and it is actually made thing worse then something causing the bottle neck my guest it I/O related with that system motherboard just wondering what make and model is the motherboard.

Try downgrade the system to 16GB you really don't need 32GB heck it is still a bit over kill.

I know if can up buffer the size but I'm Luke will get the answer

The motherboard is - MSI 970A-G43 (MS-7693)

I can reduce the RAM to 8GB or 16GB, its 4 x 8GB strips and there is no XMP profile enabled.

I am awaiting the return of my ground strap so I can go ahead and remove the extra RAM. Hopefully it will arrive later today and I can let you know

• Haha 1

SHSPVR
3 minutes ago, mev said:

I am awaiting the return of my ground strap so I can go ahead and remove the extra RAM. Hopefully it will arrive later today and I can let you know

HaHa your funny in all my 30 years of building PC I never used a ground strap it just over rate myth beside here tip power down your PC unplug from wall turn back by holding power button for a minute that automatic drain any remaining juice from the capacitors unless you have an old AT PC with mechanical switch unlike ATX which are soft switch.

2 minutes ago, SHSPVR said:

HaHa your funny in all my 30 years of building PC I never used a ground strap it just over rate myth beside here tip power down your PC unplug from wall turn back by holding power button for a minute that automatic drain any remaining juice from the capacitors unless you have an old AT PC with mechanical switch unlike ATX which are soft switch.

This is me when it comes to handling electronics (100% genuine portrait of me)

Just kidding, I guess I am more overcautious when it comes to hardware, however, ill go with what you have said and give it a try now.

emperor.thumb.jpg.0175a84122f297fa1725a0ea807c68bb.jpg

• Like 1

Just tested on 16 GB RAM (2 x 8GB) and I am not seeing any difference. Its still freezing every few seconds if left play by itself, however pausing for a few seconds and then playing, allows it to play without issue.

12 minutes ago, SHSPVR said:

Ok you got odd one

My last thing to try is to move the Emby Server over to an i5 host I have and see if its any better or worse on an intel platform vs AMD (I have no idea why it would or wouldn't be, im just out of ideas).

Ill probably update in a week or so on how that goes.

On 6/22/2020 at 7:06 PM, mev said:

Great, thanks !

On 6/22/2020 at 7:06 PM, mev said:

My last thing to try is to move the Emby Server over to an i5 host I have and see if its any better or worse on an intel platform vs AMD (I have no idea why it would or wouldn't be, im just out of ideas).

How's this worked out?