Upgrading to EMBY premier from an APP

Ronstang

Ronstang

I currently only need EMBY access on my Firestick TV devices but EMBY premier could be a something I would like in the future after I use it a while, especially the live TV if it works with my device.  My question is if I buy the Firestick TV app now and later decide to get EMBY premier is the app price deducted from the EMBY premier cost since all apps come free with EMBY Premier?  I really like EMBY so far but I have not used it to watch any content, once I do for a while then I will know if I want EMBY Premier, but currently ther FIrestick TV app is all I need.

Hi.  Sorry, we don't really have a discount like that and there is actually a hidden benefit to purchasing the app unlock for Fire TV even with Premiere.  If you do that, that device will not count against your limit.

neik
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

that device will not count against your limit.

Is this also valid on Android TV, e.g. on a Shield or Mi Box?

4 minutes ago, neik said:

Is this also valid on Android TV, e.g. on a Shield or Mi Box?

Yes.  But only in those two apps at this time.

• Thanks 1

Sammy
If you don't have premiere on your server does each Android TV device require its own separate Premiere purchase?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

neik
15 hours ago, ebr said:

What if I use Live TV on those devices, do they count then?

3 hours ago, Sammy said:

If you don't have premiere on your server does each Android TV device require its own separate Premiere purchase?

Sorry, I don't understand the question... Premiere can only be attached to a server - not an app.

3 hours ago, neik said:

What if I use Live TV on those devices, do they count then?

Purchasing the app when connected to a Premiere server is a way to have that device not count as a Premiere device.  So, yes, even with Live TV.

• Like 1

Sammy
Sorry, I don't understand the question... Premiere can only be attached to a server - not an app.
Just wondering if one purchase from the Play Store covers multiple installations on different AndroidTV devices. That said, I'm wondering why one would buy it for the app when they really only need it for the server.

Sammy

Oh! I see your explanation above but I've never run into issues with too many devices. How many devices do you have to have before this becomes an issue?

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Oh! I see your explanation above but I've never run into issues with too many devices. How many devices do you have to have before this becomes an issue?

Is there a limit to Emby Premiere

neik
2 hours ago, Sammy said:

Just wondering if one purchase from the Play Store covers multiple installations on different AndroidTV devices.

@ebr, would also be interested in this.

Thanks!

Sammy
1 hour ago, neik said:

@ebr, would also be interested in this.

Thanks!

Not only that, does that purchase count all devices as one device against the device limit or is each device tracked by MAC ID or other method?

• Like 1

App unlock purchases are tied to the store account (Google, Apple, Amazon, etc.).  Any device logged into that same store account will have access to the app.  If the app is purchased, it won't count against the limit.  I'm not sure how else to say that... :)

In a half related backwards way. If you buy a subscription to unlock your app, then You cancel your subscription because live tv doesn’t work like you had hoped, does youR app stay unlocked or will you not be able to use it anymore?

Cheers

neik
6 hours ago, ebr said:

App unlock purchases are tied to the store account (Google, Apple, Amazon, etc.).  Any device logged into that same store account will have access to the app.  If the app is purchased, it won't count against the limit.  I'm not sure how else to say that... :)

How do you prevent people abusing that by sharing store accounts?

7 hours ago, brabs said:

In a half related backwards way. If you buy a subscription to unlock your app, then You cancel your subscription because live tv doesn’t work like you had hoped, does youR app stay unlocked or will you not be able to use it anymore?

Cheers

The app stays unlocked (you purchased it) but you would lose Premiere features.

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

The app stays unlocked (you purchased it) but you would lose Premiere features.

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t really purchase the app as I instead bought a subscription, which then unlocked the app. Does your answer still apply to this scenario?

i love the app and its interface, but I’ve had some freezing episodes which seem related with recording.  I’ve posted an issue on macOS server forum.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 4:23 AM, neik said:

How do you prevent people abusing that by sharing store accounts?

Well you could have multiple android devices around the house all logged into the same Google account and they would all be able to share any paid for apps in your Google account.  I have 3 devices on one account and a couple on a different account.  I used Google as an example but it could be any app store.  I certainly wouldn't feel the need to create 3 different logins (one for each device).  Emby is being generous in how it's doing this trying to be fair and reasonable.

Remember you login on these devices so the app store knows it's you.  Same reason why you can view Youtube videos on your desktop, stop half way through, go to your Shield TV logged in as you and pick right up on Youtube (same account).

You wouldn't be wanting your friends and other family members logging in with your account credentials would you?

Now with that said, Emby could certainly limit how many of the same account could use the server at the same time and fall back to your premiere license which wouldn't be hard to do.  Some app stores can allow you to limit number of downloads as well.

Ratatouille

If one of my family members got a fire TV and I have première on my server, do they need to purchase the application to connect to my server?

Just now, Ratatouille said:

If one of my family members got a fire TV and I have première on my server, do they need to purchase the application to connect to my server?

No.