Duplicate Albums

cam1313

cam1313

Issue: Music library shows two instances for (many but not all) albums.

I decided to completely reorganize my music library using Lidarr (which gets its data from MusicBrainz). I previously had my music in an Emby library but everything was not scraping correctly.  Since I was making incremental changes to artists and albums, I decided to remove the folder from my Emby music library so that it wouldn't continue to try to play catch-up, and I waited until I was done organizing and retagging files to add the whole thing back into Emby.  I now have many albums that appear twice: once correctly with the album title, artist, and year; and another instance that does not show the artist and is completely absent of any music tracks (see Album Issue.jpg attached). Not every album is duplicated and if I attempt to delete the unpopulated album from Emby it deletes both.

Of note, I just recently transferred my Emby Server from one machine to another. Since I did not always utilize local nfo files on my old server, I manually transferred over my metadata from AppData, which may be contributing to the problem???

logfile also attached.

Thanks in advance!

//edit// still working to confirm, but I believe the nfo files created by lidarr were not working properly with Emby so emby created its own metadata somehow.  Again, not 100% sure but when I deleted the nfo created by lidarr and allowed emby to create the metadata, emby's nfo file was correct.  I tested this by completely removing and re-scanning a test album back into emby with no nfo and the resulting metadata was correct and only one album was displayed.  I took a bold chance and deleted ALL the album.nfo files from my music directory, completely removed my music library, and now have added it back and am allowing emby to build it again from scratch (using the embedded mp3 tags).  fingers crossed!  

post-228859-0-22410600-1591479830_thumb.jpg

Edited by cam1313

cam1313

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the response.  So I followed the advice of many in these foums and used MusicBrainz by Picard initially with taghycardia and Mp3Tag to clean up a few of the stragglers.  I used the Emby KB for music naming to organize my files into folders for artist -> album -> songs.  I then later scanned my entire library with Lidarr (which uses MusicBrainz for metadata) and used the organize, rename, and retag features so that it would create nfos for the artists and albums, but couldn't tell which nfos (those created by emby or those created by lidarr) were working and which were not.  My guess above that Lidarr's nfos were causing the problem led me to delete all the album nfos and allow emby to create them, however, after about 24 hours of scanning and building the library wasn't exactly displaying correctly.  I then restored my album nfos from a snapshot and am scanning them back into emby again to see if the same thing happens.  I'm about 6 hours into the scan now and it looks like it's working properly so I'll report back when it's done.  

• 6 months later...