Library path

johnsonb

mastrmind11
19 hours ago, johnsonb said:

Hi. I am not married to the file structure at all. The only problem changing it would be if I have to remove everything and do a re-format. If I can do a convert then I am all set. I am pretty sure Partition Magic offers file system conversion. It is a 3tb drive with 2tb filled.

thanks

nah, just the structure.  basically make a meaningful folder hierarchy and lets go from there.   something like /media/movies.  we can start small and only move a few files to the new folder.  while we're at it, make a group called media and add yourself and emby to it.  once you have the group made and a couple of files moved, change the group of the folders and media to 'media' using the chgrp command from above and confirm everything is set properly.  check that the media group has r/w permission on the /media/movies/* stuff and report back.  once the above is completed we will mount the new folder from the command line and point emby to it.

GoofyCDN

Can I throw my 2 cents in here?  I'm not overly familiar with Linux Mint but it's based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu has some weirdness with external drives and who can see what.  My experience is that anything mounted by the OS under the username cannot be seen by any other user in Linux anywhere.  No matter what permissions I tried to set on the external drive mounted under /meda/username I was not able to get to be seen by Emby or Plex.  What I needed to do is create a folder called /disks on the root of the drive.  Then mounted all USB external drives as individual drives at that location using FSTAB.  So I have /disks/USB750 and /disks/USB1TB or whatever you want to call them.  

I also created a group called media.  I have added myself and the emby user to the group media.

johnsonb
1 hour ago, mastrmind11 said:

nah, just the structure.  basically make a meaningful folder hierarchy and lets go from there.   something like /media/movies.  we can start small and only move a few files to the new folder.  while we're at it, make a group called media and add yourself and emby to it.  once you have the group made and a couple of files moved, change the group of the folders and media to 'media' using the chgrp command from above and confirm everything is set properly.  check that the media group has r/w permission on the /media/movies/* stuff and report back.  once the above is completed we will mount the new folder from the command line and point emby to it.

I could only create the folder /media/movies as root. I went ahead and did that. I gave ownership to the group media that Bj is a confirmed memory of. I cannot write to /media/movies.  I could go ahead and do everything as root and edit the permissions later however I'd like to start off clean.

johnsonb
1 hour ago, mastrmind11 said:

Ok, I changed ownership and rights within Nemo. I'll continue on. Hopefully you see this before  reply to the other.

johnsonb
26 minutes ago, johnsonb said:

Well things seem much better. One thing I cannot do is give the group media r/w on the folder movies. Giving them ownership did not do it. Trying to assign r/w via Nemo (launched with sudo) did not stick.The biggie is that Emby see the movies! Ya! Looks like to cleanup and such and I am on the way. 

I'll check back later, right now my lawn awaits my careful attention...

mastrmind11
13 minutes ago, johnsonb said:

why cant you add r/w to the /movies folder?  thats a basic linux function?  what are the permissions for the folder and sub folder(s) now?

johnsonb
3 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

why cant you add r/w to the /movies folder?  thats a basic linux function?  what are the permissions for the folder and sub folder(s) now?

Well I've run into a snag. In the /media/bj/System F/Movies I  directory I issued the command mv *.* -u -f /media/movies    and the move ran out of disk space. I thought if I used mv it would delete the source file upon  a successful write and I would not run out of space. I have 1tb free so do I move just 1tb at a time and delete the source manually?

mastrmind11
18 hours ago, johnsonb said:

Well I've run into a snag. In the /media/bj/System F/Movies I  directory I issued the command mv *.* -u -f /media/movies    and the move ran out of disk space. I thought if I used mv it would delete the source file upon  a successful write and I would not run out of space. I have 1tb free so do I move just 1tb at a time and delete the source manually?

it depends on the implementqtion of the mv command on your file system, but generally if you do a 'move everything' it won't clean up the old files until the entire command has completed.  so yes, you have to move them a few files at a time.

johnsonb
On 6/12/2020 at 9:01 AM, mastrmind11 said:

t was all too easy...turns out the movies folder I created was on my 240gh SSD boot drive, not my USB drive.I am back in the same boat. It is the one mounted as /bj System F/ I cannot get Emby to see the usb drive. You imparted some Linux knowledge upon me and I'll try a bit on my own and see what I get.

thanks

johnsonb
On 6/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, GoofyCDN said:

Can I throw my 2 cents in here?  I'm not overly familiar with Linux Mint but it's based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu has some weirdness with external drives and who can see what.  My experience is that anything mounted by the OS under the username cannot be seen by any other user in Linux anywhere.  No matter what permissions I tried to set on the external drive mounted under /meda/username I was not able to get to be seen by Emby or Plex.  What I needed to do is create a folder called /disks on the root of the drive.  Then mounted all USB external drives as individual drives at that location using FSTAB.  So I have /disks/USB750 and /disks/USB1TB or whatever you want to call them.  

I also created a group called media.  I have added myself and the Emby user to the group media.

Hi. Thanks for the info. I may have to try that although I know just above one rung above squat about Linux.I thought I had this working however I mistakenly was on a SSD not the usb drive.

thanks

johnsonb
On 6/12/2020 at 9:01 AM, mastrmind11 said:

I got it, verified and checked 17 times, I got the USB drive working with Emby. Mostly from the CLI so I am getting better at this Linux thing.

thanks, Bj

mastrmind11
1 hour ago, johnsonb said:

I got it, verified and checked 17 times, I got the USB drive working with Emby. Mostly from the CLI so I am getting better at this Linux thing.

thanks, Bj

so you're good to go?  

johnsonb
1 minute ago, mastrmind11 said:

so you're good to go?  

I have one oddity I'm trying to figure out and it's not USB related. I'll enter that as a separate topic.

Path wise, yes. I am good to go.   

thanks, Bj                                                                                                                                                                                      

• Like 1