emby Server via Fire TV - washed out colours for 4K Movies

P3t3r

P3t3r

Dear emby Community,

before opening this thread I tried to look for a solution in the community. However, I was not capable to find a fix or was capable to technically understand it.

Therefore, I would like to raise an issues I have been facing since running the emby Server on my Smart TV.

Setup:

• emby Web 4.4.3.0 running on my Desktop
  • TV: LG OLED55B9PLA
  • Access to Emby app via Amazon Fire TV

Issue:

• As stated in the title I am having troubles displaying movies in UHD/4K. All other content works fine. I tested different format in 720p and 1080p and had no problem with above setup. However when it comes to UHD/4K content the picture quality in terms of clarity is great, only the colors seem to be washed out greyish. I have read about this problem in a couple of other threats with different setups. However did not grasp the solution if there was any. 

Logs:

• I attach 2 logs of examples when playing 4k movies

Thanks in advance for any investigations,

Peter

Emby_log_Cpt. Amerika 4K.txt

Emby_log_Avengers 4K.txt

Edited by P3t3r

hstamas

Are your video files HDR but possibly the TV is not switching to HDR mode? Thats usually what you see when HDR content is displayed on a non HDR display.

Hi.  Your logs appear to be playing via a browser, not the Fire TV app.

In the case of the Fire TV, is it a Fire TV 4K?  If not, the items will have to transcode and the HDR data will be lost in that process at this time.

P3t3r

Hi,

thanks for the swift replies. 

Yes I have the Fire TV Stick 4K Ultra HD running. 

The TV has following specs for HDR: 4K Cinema HDR (Dolby Vision™, HDR10 Pro, HLG, Advanced HDR by Technicolor)

The 4K movies I am trying to run are as well in HDR, at least according to the log. 

Sorry for the confusion about the logs. Will try to run it once again and upload. Anyhow in the browser app of emby the movies appear as well washed out greyish.

KR

PS: I just checked. Also via VLC Media Player on the Desktop the movies look washed out. Not sure where the problem lies now. 

PPS: Tried the same 4K movie with KMplayer and it looks great. 

Edited by P3t3r

Okay, the problem is you are trying to play an audio track not supported by the Fire (True HD) and also have PGS subs - causing a full transcode with burn in.

Select the AC3 (DD) audio track instead and you should get better results.

P3t3r

Cool, it worked. Picture looks great now.

Would it be better to directly play via the emby app from the lg content store?

The only reason I kept the fire was due to the fact that the emby app form lg content store didnt work for me.

I can enter the app and generate a key which i successfully activate via browser. However then im back  at "add server".

With Fire after connecting via emby connect i was directly on my desktop server.

It sounds like your LG TV cannot connect to your server but please create a post in that forum with details of what you've tried.

Thanks.