new install; not recognizing video files

GeezrRckr

GeezrRckr

Hello - just heard about & installed Emby today.  Been a Plex user for about a decade now.  One of the many who experience low audio volume with vid files and was happy to see a 'new' option in Emby.

Installed just fine and set up the libraries...which is almost identical to how you would do it on Plex . After a thorough scan, the only files showing up are the music files (.mp3).

Things I've done to try to resolve:

1)  made sure my user profile has access to all folders (only one user, btw)

2)  did a couple rescans of the library

3)  created a new library with 'mixed media' option, labeled it 'Films' and included the exact same folder as 'Movies'

I have three folders with video files:  Movies, TV Shows and pRoN.  There are some nested folders within each (i.e. TV series with all the episodes).  Emby sees the folders, but not the individual .mkv, .avi files.

Again, it sees all my .mp3 files just fine.

Any thoughts?  Would really love to get Emby working and see about dumping Plex.

Thank you in advance!

GeezrRckr

Can't think of much, except to enquire whether you've looked at setup info such as this  https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159319-library-setup and the associated naming info. Might help (or might not if you've been there already...)

um, no.   guess you missed the part where i stated i had been using Plex the past decade. 

file naming scheme is not the issue.  hoping we can move past the noob-sphere.  thx.

arrbee99

Just a thought. I think it used to be that Emby generally liked a more organised library structure than Plex, but that might be less so than it used to be.

pwhodges

um, no.   guess you missed the part where i stated i had been using Plex the past decade. 

file naming scheme is not the issue.  hoping we can move past the noob-sphere.  thx.

It is a misconception that Emby has the same naming requirements to Plex.  In practice Emby's requirements are often different, and typically less flexible (aka stricter).  Conversely, however, a naming scheme that works for Emby will usually work for Plex too - there are plenty of people running both against the same libraries. 

Another issue which catches people out is that you cannot make a library of a subfolder of another library - Emby hates seeing the same file in multiple places.

Try renaming a few files for a test, following Emby's requirements (including putting each movie in a subfolder with the same name), and I'm sure you will start to see them getting picked up.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

GeezrRckr

yeah, tried that  - to the letter - with one .mkv file and it still didn't show up.

but, could be a nevermind matter after all, with what i'm hearing about Emby fussiness about naming.  given nearly all of my video files are picked up from torrents, it sounds like Emby just won't work.  with plex, i just need to be sure the right folder is added to the category and the file is picked up.  films are pretty straightforward, but this is particularly important for tv series.  and, as you all know...torrent file names are 'messy' (especially when they are from the scene).  so in this sense, Emby does not compete with Plex whatsoever.   

and, why are music files picked up so 'easily' then?!  the naming convention of those should pose even more of a challenge to Emby's engine, you'd think.

given it requires so much naming manipulation (if even), i have no idea why any legit cordcutter would ever waste their time with Emby.  lol...fuck that!

Edited by GeezrRckr

pwhodges

There are programs which can rename files automatically, based on metadata, and can be set up to make them work in Emby, such as FileBot or Tiny Media Manager.  Or the use of bulk files renamers such as Bulk Rename Utility can help greatly with making manual changes more quickly and easily.

Why do people change from Plex to Emby?  Many reasons - some just prefer it; some prefer the attitude and responsiveness of its developers; some prefer not to be bound to having a centralised Plex login and having to stream remotely through the Plex servers; etc, etc.  If it doesn't suit you, fine, but that's your individual choice.

Paul