how to correctly add a direct network path to a library?

Davicom

Davicom

Hi all,

It's entirely afternoon I'm trying to solve this problem.

What kind of "samba share" do I need to create? I tried simply "Disk_sda1" "allow guest" "ready only" "brosweable", but emby can't show me anything.

I tried, on emby server

"\\192.168.0.124\Disk_sda1" --> not existing Path

"\\192.168.0.124" --> emby accept Path but nothing Is visibile and files are not scanning

"//192.168.0.24/Disk_sda1" -->Not existing Path

"smb://192.168.0.124/Disk_sda1" Not existing path

what did I not understand about the direct connection of a storage network?

@@Davicom

What i would suggest is mounting the network share to a local path using the tools built into your OS. Then add the local path to Emby. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

maegibbons

I believe he wants to play things using the Direct PATH to the NAS rather than through the emby server (double network bandwidth)

I also believe that only the windows ET app can play using a Direct PATH.

We would like other apps such as Android TV to support this but I know @@ebr will have a fit for me even mentioning it again and i will accept my public humiliation when it comes.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 1

I believe he wants to play things using the Direct PATH to the NAS rather than through the emby server (double network bandwidth)

I also believe that only the windows ET app can play using a Direct PATH.

We would like other apps such as Android TV to support this but I know @@ebr will have a fit for me even mentioning it again and i will accept my public humiliation when it comes.

Krs

Mark

No this is actually something different.

Davicom

Well, it's simple: If client "A" Need to play a file stored on network storage "B" It should be fine if It doesn't Need to pass from emby server "C"

But I think @@maegibbons has still answered

What I suggested doesn't mean it will pass through emby server. What gives you that impression?

honelnik

well your library on emby folder and the network path that is sent to clients don't have to be the same

on the shared NW folder, just use the path your client can access

Davicom

well your library on emby folder and the network path that is sent to clients don't have to be the same

on the shared NW folder, just use the path your client can access

Do you intend in this way? in this way nothing changes the same: android-clients that need to play a file on network storage (nfs or samba) get request to emby server, so the packages go around network-storage-->emby-server-->android-clients. causing unnecessary waste of bandwidth

5ec3a07d76c3c_Screenshotat20200519102607

honelnik

With this setup all of my clients (iPad. Android tv, windows kodi) talk directly to NAS.

They just need to ask Emby where the media is.

You can check on the dashboard if it says DIRECT PLAY or something

maegibbons

"Direct play" signature, on dashboard just means "no transcoding needed"

Correct. Android TV always plays THROUGH server. Direct play is NOT the same as Direct PATH in emby universe.

As I said, i believe ET is the only client that can use direct path but @@Luke just shot me down and did NOT answer that question.

Krs

Mark

Davicom

Correct. Android TV always plays THROUGH server. Direct play is NOT the same as Direct PATH in emby universe.

As I said, i believe ET is the only client that can use direct path but @@Luke just shot me down and did NOT answer that question.

Krs

Mark

you, just look at the LEDs on the switch over are connected the client, network-storage and server-emby: the only active ones (flashing during playback) should be only the first two, instead it is not so

mastrmind11

what kind of LAN do you have set up that you're concerned about bandwidth?

maegibbons

1Mbps Arcnet over coax! Do you remember that?

USRobotics Courier HST modems in front of KA9Q providing routing.

Krs

Mark

• 3 years later...

Hi!

That was my problem as well. The solution was as follows:
\\server ip/the/sample/media/directory

it doesn't matter if it's a slash or a backslash

the server address must be preceded by a "backslash" and the directory path must be preceded by a "slash".

I haven't figured out the best way for the optional route yet.

6 hours ago, Bigiee7 said:

I haven't figured out the best way for the optional route yet.

Easy formula - what path do your devices on your network need to use to access \\server ip/the/sample/media/directory

The answer to that is your optional network path. But only two Emby apps make use of it - Emby Theater and Emby for Kodi, so you might not even need to worry about it.