Not grouping movies correctly

Tenyrsgone27

Tenyrsgone27

Emby server version 4.4.2.0

Emby Theater 3.0.11

Hello,

I have added movies in a two tier folder structure. So I have a folder called DC Universe, then inside I have 4 other folders for each DC character movie collection. When I add the "folders" to a new collection called DC Universe it adds the folders inside the collection fine, but when you go to the "movies" tab at the top and "group items into collection" is selected. The individual movies inside DC character folders are showing up in the general animation movie section I have created.

Is there a way to fix this? I have other animation movies in a 2 tier folder structure and it works fine. That's one of the things I love about Emby is the folder structure and how you can organize collections inside collections.

Tenyrsgone27

Happy2Play

Emby does not use folder structure (legacy) collections at all, removed years ago.  Well you can go to Folder tab for a folder view.

You have to use the API in order to put Collections in another Collection.  Or manually edit collection.xml.

Edited by Happy2Play

Tenyrsgone27

Hmm.. I was able to do this with just using the feature "group in collections" in my animation movies section not long ago. I have a anime folder with 5 individual collection folders that show up perfectly and does not show those movies in my general animation movies section. It keeps them together as a collection in their own folders inside the anime folder inside the animations movie folder. That's 3 folder tiers that works great. Trying to do the same with my DC Universe collection.

Happy2Play

Adding Collections to Collection was removed awhile ago.

Little dated as multi-select workaround has been removed also.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63514-cant-add-collections-to-collections/?p=747314

You can add items to collections via the ui, but can not add collections to a collection.

You can manually add a collection to another collection manually in the collection.xml

5ebc8525f3b6d_xml.jpg

Or use the api to add collection to collection using the CollectionService.

5ebc853d50548_api.jpg

Or use "/Collections/{Id}/Items" for existing Collection.

But if you use the autoboxset plugin you will have your grouped collection and the original collection do to the items containing their original tmdbcollectionid.  So you can not collapse collections in collection unless you delete tmdbcollectionid per item or do not use the plugin.  And may have to delete the original collection as all collection are virtual items.

Now if I am miss interpreting the issue, we will need to go over a specific example.

Correction there does not appear to be a way to only show the grouped collection of collections as both items have to exist.  Will do some more testing.

Edited by Happy2Play

Tenyrsgone27

Thanks, I appreciate the help, not exactly sure how I got it to work before with my Anime section without having to do anything to the xml code.

What's strange is that if I go into my animation section and go to the folder view at the top, go into the DC universe folder, select the sub character collection folders and "add to collection" and call it DC, it will create a collection with the folders inside exactly as I'm trying to do, except the collection only shows up in the "collections" tab at the top. That particular collection does not show up in my "movies" view, however my older collections that I created do show up that I have folders inside folders (Anime).

Tenyrsgone27

I figured out a work around. I just have to trick emby, but I got it to work and know how I can get rid of the duplicates. Thanks!

Happy2Play

Thanks, I appreciate the help, not exactly sure how I got it to work before with my Anime section without having to do anything to the xml code.

What's strange is that if I go into my animation section and go to the folder view at the top, go into the DC universe folder, select the sub character collection folders and "add to collection" and call it DC, it will create a collection with the folders inside exactly as I'm trying to do, except the collection only shows up in the "collections" tab at the top. That particular collection does not show up in my "movies" view, however my older collections that I created do show up that I have folders inside folders (Anime).

I see what you are saying.  When you add a folder to a collection (folder tab) it does not appear in Movies, only Collections.  There have been so many changes so it is hard to say for something that was done previously though.

I think I see what is happening though.  The path added to the collection.xml is the direct folder path instead of a virtual collection path, when you add a folder to a collection it is not shown in Movies.  

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Item>
  <Added>5/13/2020 5:27:23 PM</Added>
  <LockData>false</LockData>
  <LocalTitle>Horror Collection</LocalTitle>
  <CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - nfo\Test 2\28 Days Weeks Later Collection</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections\Hellraiser Collection [boxset]</Path>
    </CollectionItem>	
  </CollectionItems>
  <DisplayOrder>PremiereDate</DisplayOrder>
</Item>

Looks like sort of a broken loophole adding folders to collections. @@Luke

Happy2Play

I figured out a work around. I just have to trick emby, but I got it to work and know how I can get rid of the duplicates. Thanks!

Do you mind sharing your work around.

Tenyrsgone27

Sure!

I created a movie collection with a single movie in my animations movies called DC Universe. Then I created a folder on in the main root of my nas and called it collections inside, moved my sub folders from my DC Universe collection to this new folder. Added the new folder to my emby library, then went to the new library in the folder view, selected the folders and added to my DC Universe collection and now when I go into my animation movies in my movies view I can see all the collections including the collections inside the collections as well as the individual movies. It's very organized.

There's only 7 folders that I'm doing this with so it's small and nobody will pay any attention to this new small library I created at the top. f I could hide it without eliminating the users access that would be ideal, but overall this works for now.