Decode FLAC as PCM / LPCM

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Currently FLAC is downmixed to AAC(ick).  Most video players will usually downmix it to PCM / LPCM. I've seen Emby can play PCM, so I was just thinking this would be nice.

• Like 5

Xorp

I've had the same issue with the Android TV version (Shield) for like... 1-2 years. I think an ExoPlayer update broke it at some point. It used to output PCM 5.1/6.1/7.1 just fine from FLAC 5.1/6.1./7.1. Multichannel FLAC to PCM is working in Kodi though.

Edited by Xorp

Mkilbride

Android TV.

Flac decodes as AAC. Which is so strange. Plex decodes it as PCM.

• Like 1

SikSlayer

I agree with the OP. If I have content in FLAC format then clearly, audio quality is something important to me.

Converting a lossless audio format to a lossy audio format makes little sense, unless in situations where bandwidth is limited. Android TV is not one of those situations where that should be a problem. If it is, then that's up to the user to correct.

Either way, an option for the user to choose would be best.

I agree with the OP. If I have content in FLAC format then clearly, audio quality is something important to me.

Converting a lossless audio format to a lossy audio format makes little sense, unless in situations where bandwidth is limited. Android TV is not one of those situations where that should be a problem. If it is, then that's up to the user to correct.

That depends on where the conversion is taking place.  If on the server, then bandwidth could very well come into play.

• Like 1

SikSlayer

That depends on where the conversion is taking place.  If on the server, then bandwidth could very well come into play.

Agreed. That's what I meant by 'situations'.

Also why an option is the best solution IMO.

Mkilbride

The thing is, you only have FLAC files if you want quality. Downmixing them to a lossy format makes zero sense.  So it's really the end users responsibility to decide.

• Like 2

Xorp

As I already stated, it.used.to.work. FLAC would output as PCM (on Emby for Android TV). Then it was broken at some point, presumably by an ExoPlayer update.

Edited by Xorp
  • Like 1

SikSlayer

As I already stated, it.used.to.work. FLAC would output as PCM (on Emby for Android TV). Then it was broken at some point, presumably by an ExoPlayer update.

All the more this should be fixed, and we should have the option to output as PCM as default.

Mkilbride

I really want this.

Think about how stupid this is: I have a series with FLAC. It's HEVC x265. It should direct play. But instead...Emby downmixes the FLAC to AAC. Which won't direct play.(No receiver has support for it).  SO then it has to transcode. When if it simply decoded it as PCM / LPCM(That's what is in the container), it'd direct stream.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 3:33 PM, SikSlayer said:

All the more this should be fixed, and we should have the option to output as PCM as default.

Something is more broken than usual, I did some more testing and both FLAC 2.0 and 1.0 don't work either, both are considered "unsupported audio" by Emby and are transcoded to AAC. So basically no FLAC works at all, not sure if it's Emby or ExoPlayer.

There's no major FLAC issues like this reported in ExoPlayer's github issue page, so I'm guessing it's Emby.

Edited by Xorp
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Xorp said:

There's no major FLAC issues like this reported in ExoPlayer's github issue page,

Native Exo doesn't support FLAC. It is only through an extension.