Android TV Direct Stream playback causes subtitles to disappear

Sixtopia

Sixtopia

I use an Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 as my Emby server and client. While watching a subtitled video of 7.60 Mbps bitrate on Direct Play, the playback eventually switches to Direct Stream, and the subtitles disappear. In order to remedy this I have to close the client, reopen it and play the video for a few minutes more before it switches back to Direct Stream and the subtitles disappear again. The video is on an external drive directly connected to the Shield via one of its USB ports. I have attached the server log. The log may be messy because Emby forces me through the server setup wizard after I enable debug logs.

Some more info on the video:

• H264
  • mkv
  • 7.60 Mbps birate
  • AAC audio 192kbps
  • 1080p

embyserver.txt

Edited by Sixtopia

Hi, this happens because the video player reports a problem with the file and the app automatically switches to another playback method in order to keep playback working.

Can you please send a log from within the app? @@ebr can review to see why that might have happened. Thanks.

Sixtopia

Hi, this happens because the video player reports a problem with the file and the app automatically switches to another playback method in order to keep playback working.

Can you please send a log from within the app? @@ebr can review to see why that might have happened. Thanks.

I have just sent a log from within the app at the time of this post. I had reproduced the issue just before sending the log.

Hi.  Unfortunately,  your log contains no playback at all.  Can you please try again?

Thanks.

Sixtopia

Hi.  Unfortunately,  your log contains no playback at all.  Can you please try again?

Thanks.

I have just sent new logs. When reproducing it this time, I noticed if I let the video play after it switches to Direct Stream, the subtitles show up after some time (30 seconds - 1 minute), and they are out of sync.

I still don't see any playback.  There appears to be a ton of "noise" in your log related to bad or missing images perhaps on your home screen that I think it is forcing the playback logging to roll off.  Do you use live TV with a provider other than ours?

Can you try a user with very limited content on the home screen to maybe get past this?

Sixtopia

I still don't see any playback.  There appears to be a ton of "noise" in your log related to bad or missing images perhaps on your home screen that I think it is forcing the playback logging to roll off.  Do you use live TV with a provider other than ours?

Can you try a user with very limited content on the home screen to maybe get past this?

I do not use Live TV. I have created a new user called "test" with access only to the Library containing the media I play to reproduce the issue. I have just sent logs now.

Thanks, that did it.  Looks like a bad encode of some sort.  This is an error I've never seen before but appears to be related to the headers of the MKV:

2489 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: Source error.
05-12 09:31:46.380 17885  2489 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: com.google.android.exoplayer2.ParserException: Invalid integer size: 552847931215797

Sixtopia

Thanks, that did it.  Looks like a bad encode of some sort.  This is an error I've never seen before but appears to be related to the headers of the MKV:

2489 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: Source error.
05-12 09:31:46.380 17885  2489 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: com.google.android.exoplayer2.ParserException: Invalid integer size: 552847931215797

It may be useful to note that while this switch from Direct Play to Direct Stream also occurs when viewing the same file from the webapp, the subtitles are still displayed properly and in sync.