Client side prebuffering

danergo

danergo

Hi,

I'm running Emby on a Linux based NAS, and streaming my videos from far away.

I have decent uplink home, and I can usually measure ~21Mbps directly (from NAS to client machine).

However as distance is huge, there are glitches in the communications (i.e. it fluctuates, sometimes drops below 10 for short (!) period of time, then restores back to above 20).

This causes that videos usually play directly (without transcoding) but sometimes stops for some seconds.

I'm curious if there is some config option to apply a buffer on client side, I can accept if I need to wait for the stream to start if then I don't need to wait in the middle.

Best debuggable client is the browser one, where this pauses causes this to be logged:

HLS Error: Type: mediaError Details: bufferStalledError Fatal: false

Is there any option to buffer a bit of the media even when direct streaming to prevent connection glitches?

I'm especially interested in LG TV Emby App, and Amazon FireTV Emby app.

Thank you!

mark-in-dallas

I don't know of a way of applying a buffer, but you can lower the bitrate in the Client in Settings - Playback, or in the videos themselves, which would somewhat accomplish the same thing, albeit at a slightly lower resolution.

I have issues with some videos in the LG app, in which the skip functionality is erratic, but have found that if I set the bitrate to a value lower than the recording, the skip functionality works fine.

danergo

Lowering the bitrate would cause transcoding which I'd like to avoid. That's the reason of this question.

My connection is fast enough, but sometimes go lower, so if I have a buffer, playback won't stop, and buffer can rebuild its advantage over time. Of course if the link quality goes down for long time playback would stop, but based on my measurements it does not happen too often.

Edited by danergo

Jdiesel

If you use Kodi as a client you can set the playback buffer in the advancedsettings.xml

It has been a while since I used it but it was my go to client for spotty networks as it offers more control over the official Emby clients.

danergo

That's a nice idea, thank you. Haven't used it for ages either. I guess you meant Emby for Kodi?

Thx!

Jdiesel

Yeah Kodi for Emby. Emby Theatre might have some options available if you create a custom settings file for mpv. I'm not familiar with it though. The Android TV app also has a setter for buffer but it may not be enough to overcome spotty network connections.