Allow half-decimal numbering in episode order.

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Some shows have specials that are supposed to air in between other episodes. Even with Metadata, TVDB and the like, sometimes these specials are not put where they are supposed to be. Your only option at that point would be to relabel each episode's metadata episode number to account for the specials in their place.  This is time consuming, a little annoying and could cause potential issues.

My suggestion is this:

I have a series, where it has an episode 21.5 - it was a Webisode that showcases crucial plot details of the next episode.  Having to go back to the Specials folder to watch it after watching Episode 21 isn't horrible, but is kind of a meh experience.

Now, if I could Edit it's meta data to be "Season 1 - Episode 21.5" and it'd squeeze itself in, that'd be nice, no?

Another example is Macross 7. It had 3 "Encore" episodes that got released after the show finished. These episodes are intended to be viewed at a certain point, but were cut due to time constraints. They're relegated to the Specials folder as well.  Now in this particular series, you';re supposed to watch them after episode 37. So to make things cleaner, I could label them each Episode 37.1, Episode 37.2, Episode 37.3 - and they'd shove themselves in between episode 37 and episode 38. It'd just make things more consistent. 

kanipek

You can add a couple of different fields to the .nfo file{s) to handle this.

episodeairsbefore/episodeairsafter you can Google for exact usage.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Hi.  Yes, we already support this through metadata.  You don't have to edit your NFOs but can change those fields directly in the Emby metadata editor.

Mkilbride

Hi.  Yes, we already support this through metadata.  You don't have to edit your NFOs but can change those fields directly in the Emby metadata editor.

When I try doing this, it says it's not a valid value.

Edited by Mkilbride

When I try doing this, it says it's not a valid value.

What is not a valid value?

You don't enter decimal episode numbers.  You use the fields described above to tell the system where the special should show (airs before/after).

Mkilbride

I mean, why should I have to edit the NFO?

What I'm suggesting is: I right click said episode, hit "Edit Metadata", and put it as Episode 21.5, or 37.1 for example, and it shows up where it should in the numbering order.

I mean, why should I have to edit the NFO?

5eb6b6e406650_airsbefore.png

Mkilbride

I'm not explaining myself well. This is what I want to do.  I've tried your method and simply nothing happens. It doesn't go anywhere.

https://i.imgur.com/Oji2MSl.png

I simply want to label it as Season 1; episode 37.1 ect.

If it is a special, you cannot put it in Season 1.  It needs to be Season 0 and then you use the fields shown above to cause it to show where you wish (and it will also appear in the "Specials" folder).

Mkilbride

Ok, but that's why this is a feature request.

I still can't get your method to work. It just stays where it is. What to do with 1 season shows? I've tried -1, 0, 1 ect.

There is an option in the UI of whether or not to show specials in-line with the other seasons.  Be sure you turned that on.

What to do with 1 season shows? I've tried -1, 0, 1 ect.

Sorry, I don't understand that question in this context.  Specials are season 0 (or in a "specials" folder).  Season 1 episodes are S1 (or in a "Season 01" folder).

Mkilbride

I do have that turned on. For some anime it works. For others it doesn't. (Because TVDB's Metadata doesn't have them listed that way) But just for reference, what is that option? (So I know I have it right)

I don't understand your answers either. I'm simply requesting what I requested. What you're telling me is there are other, more complicated ways to go about it, but not the way I'm asking, hence it's a feature request.

Edited by Mkilbride

What you're telling me is there are other, more complicated ways to go about it, but not the way I'm asking, hence it's a feature request.

That is correct.  Your feature request is valid as as possible simplification (although it carries with it its own complications).  We just wanted to be sure you realized it was possible now to achieve what you want in other ways.

Mkilbride

That is correct.  Your feature request is valid as as possible simplification (although it carries with it its own complications).  We just wanted to be sure you realized it was possible now to achieve what you want in other ways.

But what is that option to include specials? Is it absolute order or something?

crusher11

That is correct. Your feature request is valid as as possible simplification (although it carries with it its own complications). We just wanted to be sure you realized it was possible now to achieve what you want in other ways.

Disagree that it would be simpler. The current system does just fine.
  • Like 2

Deathsquirrel

But what is that option to include specials? Is it absolute order or something?

In the dashboard click Library > Advanced > check the 'Display specials within seasons they aired in' box > scroll to the bottom of the page > click Save.

That will enable the display of specials in their aired season.  The specials need to still be stored in the Season 00 folder.  You need to set the metadata as EBR already described.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

• 9 months later...
DeathReaper813

As someone new to Emby with a library well into the 1000's that follows a naming scheme with the decimal system; I believe that allowing decimals in folders would be very beneficial as it is much simpler than having to go through and edit the metadata of each individual file.

GrimReaper

Downvote on this one. As @crusher11 already stated, system does just fine as it is. Since it already accommodates all the requests made in this thread: placement before/in the middle/after any Season, placement in-between any two episodes - achievable through few clicks - I see no reason to introduce another variable and, subsequently, increase complexity.

1 hour ago, DeathReaper813 said:

As someone new to Emby with a library well into the 1000's that follows a naming scheme with the decimal system; I believe that allowing decimals in folders would be very beneficial as it is much simpler than having to go through and edit the metadata of each individual file.

And where would you scrape the metadata from, for these decimal episodes? TVDB supports integers only, I suppose other meta-providers don't fare any better. Even with Absolute episode numbering, Specials are still excluded, IIRC. So you'd still have to insert ALL metadata manually as opposed to one or two numbers (Season/Episode) for placement. How's that simpler? 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
StuBailey

For Specials this is fine, but now the "manual" editing is actually twice the burden... you edit the Special as season zero and the episode number to match, and then you edit the season and then the episode it's to appear before. with decimals you edit the season number and the episode and you're done. And I'm mostly talking about using this as a way to insert promos and commercials - that can ad up to a lot of manual editing and you can't see the results on the web app since that still shows the specials/commercials in the season 0 folder. You make this as an option for users, not a replacement.

StuBailey

ummm, more like having both ways available... and both could have a setting on the main page of the TV show where the play buttons are instead of looking is a settings menu. "Play specials in season on or off" and one to turn off seeing the decimals (promo/commercial button or whatever)