Gen 10 HP Microsever

saajan4u

saajan4u

Hi Chaps

I'm thinking to get this to get rid of my 10+ year old synology nas and nuc to run freenas on it podomenatly to run emby and some other small apps like pi-hole etc

https://www.ebuyer.com/863695-hpe-proliant-gen10-amd-opteron-quad-core-4-core-1-80-ghz-8-gb-p07203-421

any this any good.. shouldn't be doing more than 2 streams at the same time and mostly will be direct streaming.

what are your opinion on this.

I already have  quite a lont of 2tb hard drives which are still in fairy decent condition

Edited by saajan4u

MRobi

ZFS is fairly memory intensive and should always be run with ECC ram. The general rule of thumb for memory with FreeNAS just for data storage is 1Gb per Tb of storage capacity. So with 8Gb standard and only expandable to 32Gb you're limiting your future storage capabilities. 8Gb does meet the bare minimum, but I'd be looking to invest in a server that could grow with my setup instead of one I may need to replace a year or 2 down the road.

You also won't be able to make use of the graphic cores, 4k display ports, etc...

Will it work? Yes. 

My personal thoughts are that you could piece together a system that would be better suited but most importantly expandable in the future for a similar price.

BAlGaInTl

ZFS is fairly memory intensive and should always be run with ECC ram. The general rule of thumb for memory with FreeNAS just for data storage is 1Gb per Tb of storage capacity. So with 8Gb standard and only expandable to 32Gb you're limiting your future storage capabilities. 8Gb does meet the bare minimum, but I'd be looking to invest in a server that could grow with my setup instead of one I may need to replace a year or 2 down the road.

You also won't be able to make use of the graphic cores, 4k display ports, etc...

Will it work? Yes. 

My personal thoughts are that you could piece together a system that would be better suited but most importantly expandable in the future for a similar price.

I agree with this.

It's a nice piece of hardware for what it is, but may not be the best solution for a server that also involves Emby streaming.

A solution other than FreeNAS could work as well, one that doesn't rely on ZFS.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

Armageus

A solution other than FreeNAS could work as well, one that doesn't rely on ZFS.

Agree, something like Unraid is probably a better option.

Edited by Armageus
  • Like 1

saajan4u

would it be a different story if i said i dont mind running windows 10 or server 2019. this will be used as headless system so i dont really care about the 4k display or anything.