Unable to create collections

crusher11

crusher11

I tried to add Psycho II to a test collection just now, and nothing happened.

1. Click three-dot menu, select "Add to Collection..."

2. Select "+ New Collection".

3. Type a name.

4. Click "Create".

5. Dialogs disappear and are replaced by a spinning wheel.

6. There is no 6. The wheel never goes away.

It does, however, create a second copy of my Collections library, pointed at the exact same folder as the original library. The movie never appears in either library, nor does anything appear in the Collections folder as viewed in WinSCP.

I don't have any collections, so I haven't tested adding to an existing collection.

embyserver.txt

arrbee99

A quick go and it worked OK -

Carried out steps 1 to 4, then it popped up a window in the bottom left 'Adding to Collection' or something like that, and I now have an Ealing Comedy Collection with one movie in it.

...too which I just added two more Ealing comedies, no problem (so far).

So as a one off test...

Windows, latest beta. I do have Auto Box Sets, if that matters.

crusher11

I had no problems with Windows either. But on my new Synology installation, it's not working.

arrbee99

Oh well, always find it interesting that (apparently) the same program can behave differently depending on what you run it on.

And I've now got another collection, which is a plus :)

Happy2Play

@@Luke is this path correct with different direction slash as it throws a "Could not find a part of the path".

2020-05-06 21:56:49.763 Error BaseItem: Error refreshing owned items for /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data\collections
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.5.0.8
	Command line: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/server/EmbyServer.exe -package synology -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffdetect -restartexitcode 121
	Operating system: Unix 4.4.59.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: False
	Mono: 6.8.0.105 (tarball Sat Mar 28 20:34:48 UTC 2020)
	Runtime: file:///volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/3rdparty/mono/6.8.0.105/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll
	System.Environment.Version: 4.0.30319.42000
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var
	Application directory: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/releases/4.5.0.8-beta
	System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data\collections'.
	  at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult].CreateDirectoryHandle (System.String path, System.Boolean ignoreNotFound) [0x00032] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult]..ctor (System.String directory, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) [0x00048] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1+DelegateEnumerator[TResult]..ctor (System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1[TResult] enumerable) [0x00000] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1[TResult]..ctor (System.String directory, System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1+FindTransform[TResult] transform, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) [0x00042] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerableFactory.DirectoryInfos (System.String directory, System.String expression, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) [0x00014] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.InternalEnumerateInfos (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchTarget searchTarget, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) [0x0002e] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateDirectories (System.String searchPattern, System.IO.EnumerationOptions enumerationOptions) [0x00000] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateDirectories (System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption) [0x00008] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateDirectories(string,System.IO.SearchOption)
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.Boolean recursive) [0x00033] in <680bb664250a4e03a1fe8d02ce43f869>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.DirectoryService.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path) [0x00010] in <fe64d47c0dc9491483cb01aec8bb21b4>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.GetFileSystemChildren (MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.IDirectoryService directoryService) [0x00007] in <fe64d47c0dc9491483cb01aec8bb21b4>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.RefreshMetadata (MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.MetadataRefreshOptions options, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x0004f] in <fe64d47c0dc9491483cb01aec8bb21b4>:0 
	Source: mscorlib
	TargetSite: IntPtr CreateDirectoryHandle(System.String, Boolean)

No that doesn't look good. Did you restore a backup from windows onto Linux or vice versa?

crusher11

I tried manually copying over my old collections and they don't show up either.

DarWun

To help rule things out, I created a collection and then added movies to it with Emby Beta 4.5.0.10 running on the Synology platform (DS918+). I didn't have an issue.

crusher11

Yeah, I think we've established what the problem is, and it's only going to happen if you import a Windows backup which borks the folder address.

Question is, how to fix it on my install?

crusher11

When I try to create a collection it creates a new collections library. This has the correct address. So I did that, deleted the old one, and could then create a collection. Deleted that, copied across all my old collections from my previous server via WinSCP...and it still lists no collections. The dynamic image has updated to include the correct cover art, so that part of the server can see my collections, but I can't see them while trying to view content.

I did a "replace all" to fix the file paths and they match the one that was generated when I created a test collection so I'm not sure what else it could be.

crusher11

Copied the working test collection over to my PC. Deleted it in Emby. Scanned. Copied it back across to the NAS. Scanned again. It came back.

So it's nothing to do with the WinSCP copying process or anything like that.

I've attached two collection XML files. One contains Psycho II and works perfectly, this is the test collection I created within Emby. The other contains all the Psycho movies and does not appear, this is one of my collections from the previous server.

I can't tell the difference. The structure is the same, the file path is the same, and yet one works and the other doesn't.

collection.xml

collection.xml

FrostByte

xml's look good to me

How about the rights and owner for both the folder and the files inside your collection?  If you copied them over using WINSCP then they may be owned by your other account

You can change them in WinSCP by right clicking on one and choosing properties

5eb5a4263aa29_folder.jpg

5eb5a43b5ecb1_xml.jpg

crusher11

They were owned by root, but changing them to embysvr didn't help. And the test collection was owned by root when I transferred it in via WinSCP and that showed up fine.

• Like 1

crusher11

Tried a further experiment. Created several collections with the same names as some of the Windows collections, just with a placeholder movie instead of acctually creating the whole collection again from scratch. They showed up fine.

So I deleted those folders via WinSCP, and dragged over the equivalent Windows collection folders. Ran a scan. The artwork all updated, but they still all only had the placeholder movie in them, despite the new XMLs not referencing that movie at all. So I added a second placeholder movie to the first collection...and it updated to show what it should show. Neither of the placeholder movies showed up - not even the second one, which I'd added after dragging the collection folder across.

So it seems like a scan isn't enough to get Emby to actually check the XML file, it just checks the folder names. And unless the folder has been previously created by Emby it doesn't even do that? @@Luke

crusher11

I figured out a quicker way: move all the collections across in WinSCP, then simply "create" collections with the same names in Emby. I started doing that, but I only got partway through when it magically populated with all my collections, exactly as they should be.

However, I still can't add anything to them. It looks like it works, I get the "added to collection" message, but when I go to the collection the movie isn't there and it isn't listed in the XML file either.

crusher11

Update: I can now add items to collections. No idea what changed.

However, it appears that at some stage the XML files have been edited to remove any reference to files that don't exist, instead of me having the opportunity to put those files in place and have them automatically be recognised.

Is there a way I can stop that behaviour? What causes it to happen? @@Luke

FrostByte

A complete scan will delete them, which is what you also need to do after modify a playlist, collection, etc using notepad, etc

Edited by FrostByte

crusher11

So there's no way I can drag in the XML with the full list and have it pick up files as I add them?

FrostByte

Any time you update/add to these items outside of Emby you need to scan first, otherwise you will lose everything when modifying within Emby.

Copy xml using WinSCP, or modify lists using a text editor

Then run a full scan

Then add movies, songs, etc using Emby

Edited by FrostByte

crusher11

Running a scan doesn't do anything. I have to make a change within Emby for Emby to notice that anything is different/new.

If I add a collection via WinSCP, I have to create that same collection within Emby for Emby to notice that collection.

If I alter a collection's XML file, I have to add something to that same collection within Emby for Emby to pick up the change.