Help deciphering transcoding reason

wakeboarder141
Go to solution Solved by Jdiesel,

wakeboarder141

Can someone please help me decipher why the file in the log is transcoding?  I am hoping to convert the files to a natively supported format for the user so I'm not using CPU to transcode, but I don't know how to tell what the limitation is.  On the dashboard it say "media bitrate exceeds limit" but I don't know which limit it is referring to.  Thanks!

ffmpeg-transcode-81a40ba3-4aae-46e2-9e5f-9331baf9f91e_1.txt

On the dashboard it say "media bitrate exceeds limit" but I don't know which limit it is referring to. 

This could be due to the quality setting in the app that is set by the user of the app, or the bitrate limits set on the server, either globally or for the individual user.

Please let us know if this helps. thanks.

wakeboarder141

This could be due to the quality setting in the app that is set by the user of the app, or the bitrate limits set on the server, either globally or for the individual user.

Please let us know if this helps. thanks.

Is there a way to narrow down which one it is?  As far as I can tell I don't have any limit set on the server side.  The internet streaming bitrate limit is blank in both the network settings, and their user settings.

• Solution
Jdiesel

It would seem that the source bitrate is 13 Mb/s (1080p) and it is being reduced to 1 Mb/s (480p).

I'm guessing that the quality setting in the Emby app on your Roku TV is set to Auto. Change it to 100 Mbps and try again. 

• Like 1

It would seem that the source bitrate is 13 Mb/s (1080p) and it is being reduced to 1 Mb/s (480p).

I'm guessing that the quality setting in the Emby app on your Roku TV is set to Auto. Change it to 100 Mbps and try again. 

Don't change that setting to 100.  If it is on auto now, this means it is a remote connection and 100 is not likely to work on other content.

Please tell us what it is set to now and where the device is (relative to your server).

wakeboarder141

Don't change that setting to 100.  If it is on auto now, this means it is a remote connection and 100 is not likely to work on other content.

Please tell us what it is set to now and where the device is (relative to your server).

It is on a remote server on a Roku TV on wifi.  We changed the setting from Auto to 4k-100, and the transcoding stopped, and it switched to direct play.  It seems to be working perfectly now, but is there something I should be worried about?

It is on a remote server on a Roku TV on wifi.  We changed the setting from Auto to 4k-100, and the transcoding stopped, and it switched to direct play.  It seems to be working perfectly now, but is there something I should be worried about?

Assuming you have enough bandwidth for that, then you should be fine.

wakeboarder141

Assuming you have enough bandwidth for that, then you should be fine.

My upload is only 30mbit so can I just limit it on the server side and be good?

Jdiesel

My upload is only 30mbit so can I just limit it on the server side and be good

I'd set it to something conservative like 20Mbps so you don't run into issues when you might be doing other things on your end that might impact the upload bandwidth available. 

You can set the global rate on the server side but you will also need to make sure that the out of network devices aren't set to Auto is it is problematic. 

• Like 1