1080p/4k Dropdown Options - NVIDIA Shield TV

ScifiContinuum

ScifiContinuum

I have an NVIDIA Shield, actually 5 of them and all of them put 4k versions of files before 1080p. All other devices are 1080Ppthen 4k is listed under it in the dropdown menu. Any way to fix  that?

Hi.  There isn't really anything to "fix".  Each device chooses the highest quality version that it can play.  You can choose whichever one you want in the drop down, however.

ScifiContinuum

Kind of figured that. Just strange that the Windows Defaults as 1080P and apps defaults 4K.

It depends on the capabilities of the device as well as any settings you might have configured within the app.

CBers

I often see a 4K movie be the default option on my Shield connected to my 1080 Samsung TV.

Often thought about bringing it up, but never got round to it.

I often see a 4K movie be the default option on my Shield connected to my 1080 Samsung TV.

Often thought about bringing it up, but never got round to it.

That's because the device you are running the app on can support that 4K content.  The determination of the default will be the highest quality that can direct play and that can.  If you can find a situation where the default causes a transcode when a non-default wouldn't, let me know.

CBers

That's because the device you are running the app on can support that 4K content. The determination of the default will be the highest quality that can direct play and that can. If you can find a situation where the default causes a transcode when a non-default wouldn't, let me know.

But I don't want 4K to be the default on my 1080p TV. On my 4K TV I do.

The 4K version of a movie plays OK (audio is remuxed), but it's washed out, whereas the 1080p version of a movie looks correct, so having the 4K version as the default is wrong.

Just need to app to detect the end playback device and choose the correct version.

• Like 3

FrostByte

The settings on the Shield says what the end devices resolution is, can the app read that setting?

The settings on the Shield says what the end devices resolution is, can the app read that setting?

That is not necessarily a restriction.  For instance, I can run my Shield at 1080 but have it switch to 4K for a 4K item.

CBers

That is not necessarily a restriction.  For instance, I can run my Shield at 1080 but have it switch to 4K for a 4K item.

So is there an answer to this ?

So is there an answer to this ?

It wasn't a question... That was an answer to why we couldn't necessarily assume based on that setting.

As I said before, the logic (in all apps) is to choose the highest quality that will direct play. Its possible we could improve this logic but I'm not sure we could come up with something that would make everyone happier.  You can always choose whichever version you wish.

CBers

It wasn't a question... That was an answer to why we couldn't necessarily assume based on that setting.

As I said before, the logic (in all apps) is to choose the highest quality that will direct play. Its possible we could improve this logic but I'm not sure we could come up with something that would make everyone happier. You can always choose whichever version you wish.

Then the logic is wrong.

It needs to take into account the end playback device's (TV) capabilities and then present the best option.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Getting the same - logic is wrong - should go by tv capabilities not what ATV can do

4k/1080p movie - on 1080p only tv - the app is selecting the 4k movie not the 1080p movie

It can't direct play the 4k movie as the tv cant work with that - so should pick the 1080p by default

• Like 1

FrostByte

Why would one set their Shield at 1080 if they have it hooked up to a 4K TV?  I thought you would set it at the highest your TV can support.  Does that stop it from upscaling?  I think that can be turned off by itself.

Edited by FrostByte

Why would one set their Shield at 1080 if they have it hooked up to a 4K TV?  I thought you would set it at the highest your TV can support.  Does that stop it from upscaling?  I think that can be turned off by itself.

Because many people found that their TV did a better job of upscaling 1080 content than the Shield.

• Like 1

It can't direct play the 4k movie as the tv cant work with that - so should pick the 1080p by default

Can you please show me an example of that - a situation where a 4K version that wouldn't direct play was selected over a version that would?

Thanks.

CBers

Can you please show me an example of that - a situation where a 4K version that wouldn't direct play was selected over a version that would?

Thanks.

Does it really matter if it transcodes or Direct Streams, as the fact is, the app has selected the wrong version for the TV.

Does it really matter if it transcodes or Direct Streams, as the fact is, the app has selected the wrong version for the TV.

Yes, it matters if the app is selecting a version requiring transcoding when one that doesn't is available.

CBers

Yes, it matters if the app is selecting a version requiring transcoding when one that doesn't is available.

You're still missing the point that the app is presenting a 4K version when a 1080p TV is connected to the Shield, immaterial of it Direct Streams or not.

Unless of course, you're happy watching a washed out movie.

The logic in the app needs changing, end of story.

You're still missing the point that the app is presenting a 4K version when a 1080p TV is connected to the Shield, immaterial of it Direct Streams or not.

Unless of course, you're happy watching a washed out movie.

The logic in the app needs changing, end of story.

I am not missing any point.  I'm trying to ensure the app doesn't have a bug in it related to selecting direct playable content.

CBers

I am not missing any point. I'm trying to ensure the app doesn't have a bug in it related to selecting direct playable content.

It has a bug in it when selecting the best option for the TV.

ToyContinuum

I dont think it really does have a bug as both my UHD x265 and HD x264 Bluray rips play direct on my NVIDIA Shield. The issue is out of my 5 Shields, only 2 are connected to a UHD 4k TV with HDR. So it defaults to 4k when I play a movie or even continue a movie on my 1080P TVs. Have to drop down to 1080P for it to play with correct format for an 1080P TV. Just highly annoying.

Yeah, I just want to first make sure there isn't something not working as designed right now and then we can look into if we can improve the logic beyond how it works now.

ToyContinuum

I can confirm That both files Direct Play fine on my NVIDIA Shield. Just a matter of the TV not being able to properly display the 4K HDR content. For me this is just a request and not a break/fix scenario.

FrostByte

I'm still trying to gather my brain around why you can't use the setting the user has on the Shield.

If they have their Shield set at 1080p because they want their 4K TV to upscale 1080p to 4K then show them 1080p first because that's what they want to see anyway

However, if they want to watch 4K I assume from what you're saying that they would then switch the Shield to 4K so it doesn't transcode.  At that point you show them 4K versions in the list first.

In other words you would have to read the setting every time someone clicked on the down arrow to see what the current settings is at

Or, use a dreaded option somehow

Edited by FrostByte