Creating and using Emby Connect

Folks:

I am new to all of this so forgive me if my questions are elementary. My system is running perfectly and I want to take the next step--accessing the Emby server from locations other than home and want family to be able to access the server. I worry about forging ahead and screwing something up with the present system so I want to make sure I understand as best I can. 

I have Emby premiere server on my PC, and the Emby Android TV on my Nvidia Shield (connected to the PC by ethernet cable). Works perfectly. I want to be able to access the Emby server on my mobile phone app (Samsung) at locations other than home. In reviewing the Emby Connect instructions, do I create a new username, password and email address to accomplish that or do I use the existing Emby Premiere credentials? As well, do I create a "new user". 

Also I want a family member to be able to remotely access the Emby server. In this case, I am fairly confident that new username, password and email address are required. And a new user has to be created. Correct?

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Superbobtv

@@cayars

Here is a nutshell version of ONE WAY to do it:

1) Setup a user on your system for each person to have access.  You can create the name anyway you want (ie first name) to it's meaningful to you.

2) Have each person create an Emby Connect account and let you know what the Emby Connect username is or the email address.  This is done via the Emby Website here: https://emby.media/connect.html

3) Associate the Emby Connect username or email address with the User you created on your Emby Server.

4) User Signs in using emby.media website

Here is a knowledge base article covering this in more detail: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160340-emby-connect

Let us know if this helps you out or if you need additional help or instructions.

Carlo

Thank you Carlo for your response.

Presently I am the only user on the Emby server. So I am guessing that I do not have to create a new user for myself. All I have to do, is create an Emby Connect identify that is the same as the one I have for the Emby server. In other words use the same username, password and email address. Correct?

For anyone else, I create a new user. That is clear to me. 

Thanks.

Superbobtv

YOU probably already have an Emby Connect username "superbobtv" since you're logged in here. :)

So what you want to do is create an account on YOUR server with a name which could be "admin", "superbobtv" or "VideoGod" or just your first name.

Then edit your username and on the PROFILE TAB the 2nd option should say "(Optional) Emby Connect username or email address:"

Just fill in your Emby Connect username there.

So you could have a local name on your server as "Mom" and the Emby Connect username could be "Milf2020", "HotMom", "ProudMomma" or "SallyP1966" and it would't matter as long as you associated the Emby Connect username to "Mom".  Mom could now login directly to your server using the local name of "Mom" and the password you/she set or she could login with Emby Connect and she would show up as "Mom" on your system.

So for Example on My system I have a user named "Carlo" and in that 2nd field name "(Optional) Emby Connect username or email address:" I have filled in "Cayars" without the quotes of course.

Now I can either log directly into my server with my domain name (setup with SSL cert) and login as Carlo OR I can go to Emby.Media, click the signin link and login in as Cayars (or use my email address that I registered with) and get access to ALL THE EMBY SERVERs I have access to (with or without a domain and with or without SSL).

Emby Connect is the easy way to setup users when you don't want to be bothered by registering domain names, setting up SSL or dealing with changing public IP addresses.

Carlo

• Like 1

Thank you Carlo. Your instructions are clear. I have not had an opportunity to implement but will do so on the weekend

Superbobtv

• 3 years later...
Magicker

sigh.. I have spent hours trying to figure out how to link the servers with the connect account... finally

thank you

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Magicker said:

sigh.. I have spent hours trying to figure out how to link the servers with the connect account... finally

thank you

Hi, what made it so difficult to find?

Little tip.

Anytime you don't know what to do enter the section in the web console and then click the ? icon at the top left in the main section.

image.png

That icon right next to my username. It will take you to the Knowledge Base covering that section.
image.png

licking on it:
image.png

Would provide the help you were likely in need of.

May not work every time but should most of the time.

If it doesn't work, send me a message or just make a post in the forum so we know and we'll improve the Knowledge Base.  It's a living set of documents meant to be as easy to use as possible, so we want to improve it as much as possible and love feedback that improves it!

Worse case is you can do a search for "Emby Connect" or similar to the topic you are looking for and that will help.

• Thanks 1