adeobats
Go to solution Solved by adeobats,

adeobats

I just downloaded and install

- Emby server on Synology NAS

- Emby app on iOS

- Emby app on Firestick TV

1. I can access the server by typing the NAS IP address on a web browser

2. I have accessed it through iOS app and was able to play a movie from my server

3. I CANNOT access it through my Firestick TV app. Here are some more particulars

- Without doing a search, Server name shows up in the emby Firestick TV app

- When I click on it, I get the error message "Server unavailable. The server [sERVER NAME] cannot be reached. It may no longer be available. Would you like to try to wake or remove it?" OPTIONS are cancel, wake or remove

- When I try entering manually with the same exact IP address through which I successfully accessed the server via web browser, NOTHING HAPPENS it just goes back to the home screen

adeobats

I'm using the LAN address.

One other piece of information. After I posted this question I did realize the following

1. My fire stick on which I am having the challenge is a 3rd generation (pendant style)

2. I downloaded emby on another fire stick in another room which appears to be a 2nd generation (stick)

It turns out everything works perfectly on the 2nd gen but not on the 3rd gen. 

Does that give you any thing further to go on to help me resolve the issue with the emby non operation on my 3rd gen fire stick?

Hi.  Are these devices all on the same network?  If you bring up a browser on the stick that doesn't work, can you access the server that way?

• Solution
adeobats

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Hi I have checked again to better understand the difference between the setups on the 2 fire sticks. I discovered that I had an "always-on" VPN on the one that just did not work with Emby. Once I turned off the VPN it worked perfectly.

FOLLOW UP

Here is my follow-up question. Is there no way for me to use Emby app on my firestick to access owned/stored content on my synology NAS WHILE still using my VPN?

• Like 1

Glad you figured it out.

FOLLOW UP

Here is my follow-up question. Is there no way for me to use Emby app on my firestick to access owned/stored content on my synology NAS WHILE still using my VPN?

If both are on your local network, why do you need a VPN?