Direct Play 265 HEVC 23.976215 FPS Playback Not Smooth

troyhough

• 2 weeks later...
troyhough

Hey @@Luke so I have a 3rd HEVC file and it plays back smoothly. But the other 2 previous files are still problematic. I compared the Codec Info in VLC between the 3 files and the only thing I could see that differed is the Frame rate. The working file says 23.976023 and both non-working files say 23.976215. Does this have any relevance or is it total coincidence?

5eca9a1063817_Angry.jpgWORKING

5eca9a25c16a8_Jumanji.jpgNOT WORKING

5eca9a4b566a8_Fantasy.jpgNOT WORKING

Edited by troyhough

Hmm, not sure as those look basically the same. Are the bitrates similar?

troyhough

Hmm, not sure as those look basically the same. Are the bitrates similar?

Stats for Nerds is the same across all 3 files...

Bitrate 2.2

Video Bitrate 2.0

troyhough

Ok thanks for the info.

Hope it helps find a resolution. Thanks

troyhough

I have a 4th HEVC file, it also doesn't play back with the Android app. Frame rate says 23.976215

So the 3 files that do not work have a Frame rate of 23.976215, while the 1 file that does work has a Frame rate of 23.976023.

pwhodges

I am also seeing poor video playback of HEVC on Android Mobile 3.1.23 on a Huawei MediaPad M5.  This is with a data rate of under 1.5Mbps.  Playback using MX player as an external player is perfectly smooth.

Paul

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
CyberPoison
I am also seeing poor video playback of HEVC on Android Mobile 3.1.23 on a Huawei MediaPad M5.  This is with a data rate of under 1.5Mbps.  Playback using MX player as an external player is perfectly smooth.

Paul
Also related with my post here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/87224-hdr10dolby-vision-not-working-on-my-huawei-p30-pro-android/

Sent from my VOG-L29 with Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2020 at 2:34 PM, troyhough said:

I changed to External player in Emby settings and played with VLC. It plays smooth as butter. So hardware doesn't appear to be an issue.

When you play with VLC, is it hardware or software decoding? Can you find that out? Also just for testing purposes, can you install our Android TV app on the same mobile device and see how that compares? thanks.

troyhough
1 minute ago, Luke said:

When you play with VLC, is it hardware or software decoding? Can you find that out? Also just for testing purposes, can you install our Android TV app on the same mobile device and see how that compares? thanks.

I will check VLC when back at the shop in a couple days and report back.

Can you give me a link to the Android TV app you want me to test please and I'll download it from my Pixel 4 XL. Thanks

troyhough
4 hours ago, Luke said:

The Android TV app will not run on my Pixel 4 XL. 

troyhough
4 hours ago, Luke said:

When you play with VLC, is it hardware or software decoding?

Where do I get this info? Both say "Direct Playing" in the server dashboard, however VLC plays perfect, Emby does not (even with the 3.1.24 test build).

23 hours ago, troyhough said:

Where do I get this info? Both say "Direct Playing" in the server dashboard, however VLC plays perfect, Emby does not (even with the 3.1.24 test build).

It will be in vlc itself.

troyhough

It was set to "Automatic". Just for fun I tried all 4 settings: Automatic, Disabled, Decoding Acceleration, and Full Acceleration. The HEVC files played back flawlessly with all of them.

• 4 months later...
troyhough

@Luke @softworkz @ebr

I wanted to follow up and let you know this is still broken. HEVC works throughout on a limited number of TV's i tested (a couple Samsungs and a JVC) as well as Nvidia Shields and Tivo Stream 4K but does not work on my Pixel 1, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 4 XL, onn TV's and TCL TV's that I have tested.

I have 17 HEVC files. 12 of them work on everything while the other 5 have the problem on some devices.

All of the 12 WORKING HEVC files have a Frame Rate of 24 or 23.976023

All of the 5 PROBLEMATIC HEVC files have a Frame Rate of 23.976215

It appears the issue is with HEVC files that have a Frame Rate of 23.976215

WORKING 

E8OBYwy.png

NOT WORKING

4UPdheD.png

Edited by troyhough

At this point we're looking into it but we don't know what the issue is yet. We're direct playing something that the hardware is supposed to support decoding of but you're saying that it's choppy. There's nothing the server can do to impact that.

troyhough

@LukeThe funny thing is, these same devices will Direct Play 4K HEVC with a Bitrate of 22.4Mbps but not a 1080P 2.2Mbps?

Obviously something doesn't add up. Does file container matter? MP4 vs MKV?

Screenshots of the 4K HEVC 22.4Mbps that plays butter smooth

8jOCU0F.jpeg

tl3sNGD.jpeg

I found that when the container is MP4 this issues appears. Not when it's mkv. Also the files plays fine as long you don't skip or fast forward. Then transcoding stops and direct plays starts. You have the same @troyhough
?

Edited by Heval

troyhough
23 minutes ago, Heval said:

I found that when the container is MP4 this issues appears. Not when it's mkv. Also the files plays fine as long you don't skip or fast forward. Then transcoding stops and direct plays starts. You have the same @troyhough
?

Which devices are you using? Your problem seems to be different than mine. My issue is with Direct Play.    23.976215 HEVC files are choppy and will not play back smoothly on lots of devices. Doesn't matter if you skip around while playing back or just letting it go from the beginning. Same behavior.

vdatanet

Try to put the moov atom at the beginning of the file.

https://sanjeev-pandey.medium.com/understanding-the-mpeg-4-moov-atom-pseudo-streaming-in-mp4-93935e1b9e9a

https://www.ezs3.com/public/Checking_Metadata_or_Moov_Atom_Location.cfm

You can try to repack the mp4 file to mkv. If file plays fine, the issue is in the container