Trouble with Server when Network Path Unavailable

hansolo77

hansolo77

I've got a nasty problem.  Most of my data (videos, etc) is stored on a server which I tend to shut down during the hot summer months.  Before, this would not cause any problem with MB3.  There's still plenty of other content I have on the local machine which the MB3 Server locates and allows me to watch.  I also have online RSS feeds (from TWiT, etc) that I can watch.  However, there was a new update to the server which has now completely broken all functions of MB3.  When I load MB3 Classic, all it shows me is the 2 network path options I've configured, with the local cached artwork.  Nothing really works.  When I exit out of Media Center, there are numerous error messages about an unhandled exception and inability to cope with the fact the network paths weren't available.  The MB3 server completely shuts down.  In fact, I tried to open the MB3 Dashboard to see if there was a new version of the MB3 server that may have addressed this, but the first thing it does is check the network paths, which in turn causes the MB3 server to crash and close down.

Is there any way to get my MB3 working again when the remote network paths are unavailable?

You didn't move any critical paths onto that server did you?  Like your IBN or cache files or such...?

hansolo77

Nope, didn't move anything... i even tried a hard/cold reboot of my computer and it still does it.

According to the Dashboard, I'm running 3.0.5289.18702

post-936-0-65506100-1404605054_thumb.jpg

This is the desktop error I get.  Pretty generic.  I will tell you this though, the Dashboard remains available until I click the OK button on the error, then the Server closes down and the Dashboard becomes unable to connect.

While inside MB3 Classic, an error pops up while navigating about the program being an Invalid Application.  I can't get a screen capture of it, for some reason I just get a black image, both windowed and fullscreen.  This is the link to my error log though:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnrt98tdz4yxiiz/MBClassic-572014ff8c30ca44a74b32a30145aab0de780b.log

hansolo77

Server is needed though please.

What do you mean?  Do you need another log or something?

Server log since that is what is having the problem.

Please switch to the chocolate theme in MBC and see if the crash (on that side) goes away.  Neo has very little knowledge of MB3 in it and probably doesn't handle situations like this well.

hansolo77

Ok, thanks for taking your time to help me with this, I do love MB3.  :)

These are the 2 most recent server logs.  I haven't ran it today, so these were from lastnight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67ne1c8onz5924c/server-63540188126.txt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm70q787p28ckku/unhandled_a6b3ddd7-da79-4a6c-828b-e65c1ca141a3.txt

Edited by hansolo77

Well for one, you've customized the server's cache path but now that path is unavailable. That's definitely going to cause problems. if this is going to happen normally then you're better off not customizing the path.

Well for one, you've customized the server's cache path but now that path is unavailable. That's definitely going to cause problems. if this is going to happen normally then you're better off not customizing the path.

BTW - that's what I meant when I asked "did you move any critical paths?" ;)

hansolo77

I thought the IBN and extra artwork were ok to have on the other machine... also why is it cacheing locally?  I have all the artwork/etc nested in the proper folders on the server.  If it's cacheing locally, doesn't that just cause me to have 2 copies of the same data, locally and remotely?  If MB3 would rather have everything all in one place, then why do I bother using Media Browser Master (3rd party) to download all my metadata into the movies/shows subfolders on the server.  Has things changed?  I thought it was ok to have everything remote and just the videos/etc I have locally appear when the remote is unavailable.

It sounds like I have to have everything locally now, and my whole design of having my videos/extras stored remotely will no longer work.  I have 13tb of data on the server, and my main HTPC only has about 250gb free.  All I run on this is the server (because I don't have the 64-bit architecture required for the latest .net required for the server) and the client.  Guess it's time to throw out MB3 altogether.

Please tell me I'm wrong, and correct me!

It is OK to have everything remote. Yes you can do that. But the server cache path is constantly used so if its not available when needed then you might run into issued.

hansolo77

I never changed the server cache path.. only the IBN path.  I'll recheck it to make sure.

Ok, maybe I did, I show it as in my network's server path... what should the default path be?

Edited by hansolo77

hansolo77

Well, it solved the error of the path not being found (YAY!) but the client still crashes when I browse from the EHS.. also, there still is no online content being displayed, just the folders.

Right, let's stay focused on the server and just stick with the web client. If you can get me a server log now, then we can get the offline content squared away. 

hansolo77

Sorry, been busy and haven't had a chance to come back to this...

When I loaded everything up today, MB3 classic reported there was an update.  I skipped it at first.  I immediately went and changed the theme to Chocolate.  As soon as I attempted to return to the EHS, MB3 Classic crashed, saying it was an unsupported application.  I tried loading it again multiple times, but everytime it would get past the login animation, the program would crash.  I think there may be a problem with my theme.  I was able to load up the config via the Media Center bar, and changed it back to the Neo theme I had been using.  MB3 Classic now loads up correctly, but still doesn't show any of the online channels (like C|Net, Twit, etc).  When I go to browse my offline content, that is when the app crashes again.  The server, however, doesn't seem to completely crash anymore with the unhandled exceptions.  I have also now gone ahead and gotten the most recent version of the MB3 Classic app.

Here are the most recent server logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0h35wrjb3f1vn57/server-63540417426.txt

And the MB3 Classic log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hkxb5dsny8seiz/MBClassic-87201498bdec7e85104521ac01a9c9c1a150f0.log

If you are getting a crash in Classic, please find the error in the Windows Event log.  Instructions are in the How to Report a Problem post.

hansolo77

Sorry been very busy with work, haven't had any time at all to mess with this.

Anyway, I had to turn the server on yesterday to get something off of it.  Soon as I did that, everything magically started working like it always did.  So it looks like MB3 must be going out to find it's own data (things stored in it's paths, like tvshows/movies) prior to getting any online web content (cnet, trailers, twit).  So when I had my home server off, it was getting hung up trying to locate the files stored on the server, and there by never actually getting to the point where it would go online to look for that stuff.  There was a new update, which I reported I got.  Something from that update seems to have also fixed my locally stored stuff (stuff I have on THIS computer, not on the home server).  So now that works.  My only problem now is the online web stuff when the home server is turned off.  The way it looks, that might not be possible without recoding it for everybody to have it bring up the local/web stuff prior to UNC stored things.

One other thing I should mention; I was able to switch to Chocolate after turning the server on.  However, I was doing some tweaking to it's settings (like changing layouts to coverflow, or strip, etc).  I thought I liked it, but I wanted to change the Season level display.  Only now, when I hit the # key on my remote, it takes me to the root config screen for MB3 classic rather than the built in theme customizer.  If I hit the # key on the TV SHOW level, it works, but not at the season/episode level.  I thought it was working before, and I think that latest (perhaps beta?) update broke it.