Linux Package Repositories

Kyle Hartigan

Kyle Hartigan

Hey Guys,

I have been away from the community for quite some time due to work, health and family commitments. but i have never stopped using emby.

I am just wondering if there are any plans to potentially utilise Apt/yum and other package repositories. As currently with windows version the emby server can update and restart itself. Updating linux is currently fairly manual. where if repositories where utilised it could be significantly easier for users to update or even allow automatic updates to occur.

I am interested to hear other peoples thoughts ?

mastrmind11

Hey Guys,

I have been away from the community for quite some time due to work, health and family commitments. but i have never stopped using emby.

I am just wondering if there are any plans to potentially utilise Apt/yum and other package repositories. As currently with windows version the emby server can update and restart itself. Updating linux is currently fairly manual. where if repositories where utilised it could be significantly easier for users to update or even allow automatic updates to occur.

I am interested to hear other peoples thoughts ?

i doubt it.  just use docker and watchtower if you require auto updates.

I am just wondering if there are any plans to potentially utilise Apt/yum and other package repositories. 

We like the idea, we just haven't been able to get to it. When you're pushing out packages for 15+ different platforms, it's hard to support multiple ways of installing and still be able to find time for normal development activities, so that's essentially where we are with it right now.

Kyle Hartigan

i doubt it.  just use docker and watchtower if you require auto updates.

I have attempted the docker method before, but my family cast to multiple Samsung Devices and due to the way Docker networking occurs, this functionality has issues or breaks. 

We like the idea, we just haven't been able to get to it. When you're pushing out packages for 15+ different platforms, it's hard to support multiple ways of installing and still be able to find time for normal development activities, so that's essentially where we are with it right now.

Is this something that you would potentially like some assistance with ?

It depends on what you're asking. The hard part isn't the initial production of it, but rather the ongoing support and troubleshooting.

mastrmind11

I have attempted the docker method before, but my family cast to multiple Samsung Devices and due to the way Docker networking occurs, this functionality has issues or breaks. 

That doesn't make sense, Docker just bridges your server's existing interface.  What are the symptoms and what doesn't work exactly?