Music library no longer identifies artists or finds album images

CaptainSandwich

CaptainSandwich

Hi All,

I've recently migrated my installation over to the official Emby docker container on an Unraid server from a previous Windows setup. Settings were migrated across using the backup and restore plugin. Only user data was restored as obviously paths had changed in the migration process.

Since the migration, I've found that many services are failing with a "Name or service not known" exception, similar to the below. Failing to retrieve metadata and plugin updates are the most obvious problems. 

2020-04-23 19:52:21.760 Error App: Error in TheTVDB
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.4.2.0
	Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Unix 4.19.107.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Runtime: file:///system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	System.Environment.Version: 3.1.2
	Processor count: 14
	Program data path: /config
	Application directory: /system
	System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Name or service not known
	 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0xFFFDFFFF): Name or service not known
	   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(String host, Int32 port, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
	   at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.DownloadSeriesZip(String seriesId, String idType, String seriesName, Nullable`1 seriesYear, String seriesDataPath, Nullable`1 lastTvDbUpdateTime, String preferredMetadataLanguage, String saveAsMetadataLanguage, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.DownloadSeriesZip(String seriesId, String idType, String seriesName, Nullable`1 seriesYear, String seriesDataPath, Nullable`1 lastTvDbUpdateTime, String preferredMetadataLanguage, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.EnsureSeriesInfo(Dictionary`2 seriesProviderIds, String seriesName, Nullable`1 seriesYear, String preferredMetadataLanguage, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Tvdb.TvdbEpisodeProvider.GetMetadata(EpisodeInfo searchInfo, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.ExecuteRemoteProviders(MetadataResult`1 temp, String logName, TIdType id, IEnumerable`1 providers, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.Net.Http
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
	InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Name or service not known
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void Throw()
	   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(String host, Int32 port, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

IP address of the server has not changed from the Windows installation, and the firewall setup has not changed either. Docker is also new to me, so I couldn't say for certain, but I don't think this is a firewall problem? 

The server is behind a reverse proxy, which is successfully providing SSL certificates and allows for remote browsing/playback so not sure if this may be a factor. In any case, port 8096 is also forwarded to the server.

Also not sure if it may be related or an application-specific issue; Sonarr does not display cover images for shows from the "Add new series" page, however it does successfully retrieve images when the series has been added. Radarr works fine. 

Full log has been attached, can anyone provide any wisdom or next steps for troubleshooting?

Thanks. 

EDIT: Added docker port mappings, since it's probably relevant. 

embyserver.txt

post-132919-0-99757500-1587638999_thumb.png

Edited by CaptainSandwich

BAlGaInTl

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do use Unraid.

Did you set this up manually, or did you use the container from the Unraid apps?

Is there a reason you are using the "host" network instead of "bridge"?

I'm using bridge, and everything is working great with a very similar setup.

CaptainSandwich

Did you set this up manually, or did you use the container from the Unraid apps?

Is there a reason you are using the "host" network instead of "bridge"?

It was setup from the official Emby docker container using the Community Apps plugin. To be honest, I can't even remember changing the network mode so can't really give an explanation as to why it's configured to host.

Overnight, I performed a force update on the container and since then things seem to be working pretty well. Metadata retrieval is working and the log has cleared up. Not sure whether there's still some underlying issue that may return, or why this might have (temporarily?) resolved it, but I'll report back if there are any further issues.

Thanks for the reply, BAIGaInTI. 

BAlGaInTl

It was setup from the official Emby docker container using the Community Apps plugin. To be honest, I can't even remember changing the network mode so can't really give an explanation as to why it's configured to host.

Overnight, I performed a force update on the container and since then things seem to be working pretty well. Metadata retrieval is working and the log has cleared up. Not sure whether there's still some underlying issue that may return, or why this might have (temporarily?) resolved it, but I'll report back if there are any further issues.

Thanks for the reply, BAIGaInTI. 

You're welcome.

Hopefully everything continues to go smoothly and this was just a hiccup.  I love running Emby in Docker.  

• 2 weeks later...
CaptainSandwich

So, I found that this problem came back. It was just after I had rebooted the unraid server and the Emby container auto started. I found that restarting the container resolved the issue again and it hasn't returned since (has been roughly 6 days).

The server is yet to be rebooted again, but if the issue returns on next reboot, I suspect it may be related to the auto-start/timing relative to a server boot. Will continue to monitor. 

CaptainSandwich

Alright, so first server reboot in about 12 days and the "Name or Service not known" exception is back immediately after the EmbyServer container autostarted. Restarted the container and there were no such errors in the new log, and Emby immediately downloaded a new TVDB plugin update. I think it's definitely somehow related to autostart of the container on server startup, so working around it is pretty straightforward at the moment. 

EmbyServer log files have been attached. Also a copy/paste of the EmbyServer container log from Unraid's WebUI after container restart. No timestamps in this one, and I assume it resets with the container? Unfortunately I didn't get a copy of this log whilst Emby was reporting the 'name or service' error. Does anyone know where docker log files are stored in unraid? 

embyserver_after_server_restart.txt

docker_log_after_container_restart.txt

embyserver_after_container_restart.txt

Is it possible the server started up before the network fully initialized?

alturismo

may just add a delay on startup, docker tab, upper right switch from basic to advanced view

on the right u can add a delay in seconds ...

sample see attachement, wait 20 = wait 20 seconds on startup

post-112497-0-94670600-1589027986_thumb.png

Edited by alturismo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
CaptainSandwich

Is it possible the server started up before the network fully initialized?

I suppose it's possible. I'm not sure any of the logs I've been looking at in Unraid have sufficient detail to help in troubleshooting this though.

may just add a delay on startup, docker tab, upper right switch from basic to advanced view

on the right u can add a delay in seconds ...

sample see attachement, wait 20 = wait 20 seconds on startup

Added a 30 second delay after you posted this. Just rebooted the server again tonight for the first time in a few weeks and it looks like Emby has started and is running without any of the name or service not known errors. There were a couple of container updates recently, so either one of those has resolved the original issue or the delay works around it. In any case, it seems to be working for now.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll post back if I see the error return. 

• 1 year later...
DogBronson

Hello

I'm new to Emby, switching over from Plex. So far, so good. I've been setting up my music library and things had worked fine for a while, artists and albums both download appropriate images and info. This no longer happens, however.

1.thumb.png.51298f8c82c0b0274741f10c1957f997.png

As you can see, no artist info, no images (except for the one I supplied for the album). OK, fine, no big deal. I'll enter the info to Identify the artist myself:

2.png.11e6bdf5b74d3b86cf3a6d7628415c05.png

3.png.f88e6998ca4de1b0acadae77e01e81bd.png

Entering the name and id yields no result. The ID is correct. This happens with albums, as well. Searching for new album art also yields no results even though it was fine until sometime yesterday. I still have the musicbrainz, fanart, audiodb plugins installed. The swirl as if it is searching pops up for half a second and disappears. The albums and artists which were identified previous to this issue will still show results if I do a new search for them, strangely.

I tested by creating a new library, still the same problem.

Movies and TV Shows do not have this issue.

Hello DogBronson,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, there is currently an issue with our musicbrainz server that we're looking into. We'll let you know when the situation is resolved. Thanks.

ntilagoa

Hi

Is this problem already adressed?

I also have this problem. 

Images do not show up for artists music database

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ntilagoa said:

Hi

Is this problem already adressed?

I also have this problem. 

Images do not show up for artists music database

@ntilagoa please see my response above. Thanks.

DogBronson
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, there is currently an issue with our musicbrainz server that we're looking into. We'll let you know when the situation is resolved. Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up!

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with a new installation on OMV. The 50 .. 70 first artists and albums are found automatically when the files are downloaded in the Emby directory. but above this limit every new entry has no muzicbrainz id and introcucing it manually +  "identify" give no results.

Is this bug still present in the 4.7.6.0 ? IS there a way to solve it ?

Thanks

Ppatou

• Agree 1

Hello,

Thanks for quick reaction 

Here are the requested info :

Found 2 types of errors :

2022-09-13 20:25:30.355 Error App: Error in Dynamic Image Provider

2022-09-13 23:12:34.796 Error Server: Error processing request

In attachment the full log 

Hope this can help ...Have a good evening 

Ppatou

albumartist-screenshoot2.png

embyserver-63798710400.txt

Hello 

I did that several times and no change !!

Also identify with the musicbrainz id give no results.

In the metadata folder all the artist with pictures and text have a directory, the ones without details have no directory.

Some that I add manually have a directory without the musicbrainz id.

image.png.96ed03b766f9e9424a770ff69e247fb0.png

8 hours ago, ppatou said:

Hello 

I did that several times and no change !!

Also identify with the musicbrainz id give no results.

In the metadata folder all the artist with pictures and text have a directory, the ones without details have no directory.

Some that I add manually have a directory without the musicbrainz id.

image.png.96ed03b766f9e9424a770ff69e247fb0.png

I wouldn't focus on those folders. Please provide an example of when you refreshed metadata and attach the corresponding emby server log from that. Thanks.

Hello 

At 23:09 h I ask update metadata from Katie Melua and get following log

2022-09-17 23:09:35.502 Info HttpClient: GET https://musicbrainz.emby.tv/ws/2/artist/?query="Katie Melua"&dismax=true
2022-09-17 23:09:45.526 Error HttpClient: Error getting response from https://musicbrainz.emby.tv/ws/2/artist/?query="Katie Melua"&dismax=true
Full log in attachment.

But something strange ... the system make continuously requests to musicbrainz even without asking to refresh and all give same error back ??

Hope you can understand what is going wrong !!

update_metadata_katie_melua.txt emby-server-continuous error log.txt

Happy2Play

@ppatouThe links work here but you appear to have a network issue for these services.

System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Resource temporarily unavailable (musicbrainz.emby.tv:443)

System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Resource temporarily unavailable (www.theaudiodb.com:443)

System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Resource temporarily unavailable (webservice.fanart.tv:443)

Edited by Happy2Play