Non-english search does not work

rooser11

rooser11

Kodi/MrMC/Android/Webui search function work just fine.  But Android TV's search function does not pass any non-english search phrase to the server.  I checked the log but I see no search term being passed to the server.  When I randomly type "kkkkkkkkkk" it is registered in the server log but not when I type things like "엠비"

Using GBoard on both Android and Android TV.

Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, one workaround i found is adding a space after the search phrase.  so "엠비 " instead of "엠비" then the search function works.  Obviously, this needs to be fixed at some point. ;)

Edited by rooser11

Hi.  How many characters was your test?

The app only searches for strings > 2 characters.

rooser11

Hi.  How many characters was your test?

The app only searches for strings > 2 characters.

thanks.  even if i type "엠비비비비비비비비비비비" it would not be passed to the server until i add a space at the end.  On the other hand, even if it is "엠 " it would be passed to the server.

sorry i take back what i said, it was just a delay in searching.

so, if i type "공각" then no result.  if i type "공각 " (with space) then the movie "공각기동대" is found.  if type "공각기동대" (without space) then the movie is found.  also, if i type "공각기" (again, without space) then the movie is found. 

ultimately, a space is not always needed but way more than 2 characters are required here.  in order to type "공각기" i had to type ㄱ ㅗ ㅇ ㄱ ㅏ ㄱ ㄱ ㅣ that's a lot of characters. 

On android and webui for instance, i can type just "공각" (without space) and the movie is found. 

In the end, it looks like i need to add a character (e.g., space) to finish the word composition in korean and only then the phrase is recognized as two characters.  What's annoying is that even when I press the "search" icon on the keyboard after typing the phrase "공각" it is still not recognized as a complete 2 character phrase.

On android/webui i can easily type but on android tv, typing this many characters is not that easy and adding a space is somewhat cumbersome.  But not too sure if Emby can improve this when the root cause may be the keyboard on android tv.

Thank you.

Edited by rooser11

Okay, so either the character count isn't working for those characters or, possibly, the edit field isn't firing a change event until you type a space...

rooser11

Okay, so either the character count isn't working for those characters or, possibly, the edit field isn't firing a change event until you type a space...

i think the latter is the case.  the system counts "공" as one character and "각" as another character but until it really becomes a three character phrase, the second character is not recognized.  oh well, at least this troubleshooting gave me an idea how to search in non-english on android tv. =/