Video play not working as Service but fine when not

M@lfunct10n
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

M@lfunct10n

Alright, So I have setup a Windows 2019 Core server and installed Emby on it, Im using Core as its an old mini pc with Only 2Gb ram and so chose core to keep resource consumption down. I have followed a couple of support guides in order to get emby server going. Namely copying DLLs across, For this I spun up a HyperV VM of server 2019 Desktop Experience, installed and setup emby server and copied from this to my core server to ensure I got the correct dll versions. I also installed the latest version of FFMPEG, this works fine by typing ffmpeg -version at a command prompt.

My media is on a NAS shared by NFS and mapped as "P:" drive on the server. I used the portable version of Emby Server and when I run Emby Server from the Command line It works correctly and plays movies etc fine. I wanted to set it up to start automatically when the server boots so used this guide: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159984-running-emby-server-as-a-windows-service

The issue I have is that when EmbySever is running as a service, I get a Playback Error "No compatible streams are currently available. please try again later or contact your system administrator for details" I can stop the service, start the app from command line and videos will play again. Soon as I stop the app and start the service the issue returns.

When I setup the service I followed the guide. I also tried removing the "Argument" -service. Same issue. And tried the "LogOn" in NSSM to an administrator (the same one I am logged in as when I run as an app).

For the Attached logs, I restarted the service, opened a web browser and tried to play a movie. when the error occured I grabbed the 2 log files that had a modified date after I restarted the service. Let me know if you need more logs or any other info.

Cheers

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63722981528.txt

Hi, is it because your P: drive is unavailable or unreachable?

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'p:\Movies\00 New Movies'.

• Solution
rbjtech

Yep - it is simply that your 'service' account does not have access to the remote media.  Your command line 'does' have acess, thus that works fine.  You basically need to either give the service account access to the nas, or give the nas access to the service account ..  ;)

• Like 1

M@lfunct10n

Thanks guys, Yes not being able to access the Network drive was the issue. Battled for awhile to try to get access to the P drive and auto start Emby. Not so simple on a core server install so Ill note what I ended up doing here, its not probably ideal but works for me. So I ended up using Task scheduler, runs a batch file that maps the drive and starts Emby Server.exe I did have to add a 5 min delay(could probably trim that down ) as when the task ran on boot, certain dependencies were not loaded in time. Instead of trying to narrow down a correct start order it was easier to simply add a 5 min delay.

Thanks for your help guys.